Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Day Walker
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would share this with everyone. I installed these this weekend. I purchased them from Pro Tuning labs. They were not really what I wanted, but the coupe options are kind of limited. As it turns out, they look better than I thought, I just wish the Halo's were a tad brighter. I was primarily interested in light output from the HID's as I was not impressed with the halogen projectors. I was not in the mood for baking and drilling on head lights. Overall I am satisfied with them. Thoughts?
I have more pics, but downloading them is proving to the more than I am willing to put up with this evening

Attachments

·
Running NYC
1,315 Posts
How much you dropped on them?

·
Registered
455 Posts
prob 250

·
Running NYC
1,315 Posts
I'd still suggest a retro the halos do look weak

·
Day Walker
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a few more. I had to reduce the quality of the images so they would play nice with the forum software. The cost of these were right at $300. The Retro thing is fine I guess, but I have no time and very little patience for that kind of thing especially if there is a drop in solution that produces the same results. Now that I have an extra pair of lenses, I may play around with them when I have time. I like having shiny new clear lenses too.

Attachments

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
Are those true HID projectors, or HID's adapted to Halogen projectors?

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
So you replaced halogen projector lights for halogen projector lights.

·
Day Walker
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Post some pics of the output.
I will try to get some for you sometime this week. I can tell you though it is a nice improvement over the stock projectors. My Mazda has them stock and I love the way they light up the road signs. The high beams are pretty darn bright too!

Are those true HID projectors, or HID's adapted to Halogen projectors?
Yes they are true HID projectors

So you replaced halogen projector lights for halogen projector lights.
No, I replaced my halogen projectors with HID projectors, that was the point of this whole exercise. The LED's and Halo's were just a nice bonus. I'm just hoping they last (quality).

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nowhere on pro tuning labs website does it say that those are hid projectors. They come with an hid kit(bulbs ballast etc.) but they fall short on saying that the projectors themselves are hid. I can tell you with all that glare that those are halogen projectors. In the first picture are the angel eyes even on? They look really dim. Guess not bad for $300. http://www.protuninglab.com/08hoaccohale2.html

·
Registered
455 Posts
if you wanna call them angel eyes. they are more like a fiber-optic tube with a bulb on the bottom.

·
Registered
409 Posts
What size HID bulbs are used? H1? H3? H7? I'm betting it's not an actual OEM HID bulb size.

Aftermarket projector headlights always tend to have terrible output. You should really listen to the other members because they've likely had direct experience with those or similar aftermarket headlights and regretted buying them.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
What size HID bulbs are used? H1? H3? H7? I'm betting it's not an actual OEM HID bulb size.

Aftermarket projector headlights always tend to have terrible output. You should really listen to the other members because they've likely had direct experience with those or similar aftermarket headlights and regretted buying them.
I'm one of those and you're 100% correct. I loved the way my Spec-D's looked

However, even though they looked better and gave the appearance of illuminating the road better

But the beam is not as wide and there is hot spots and glare.

Not to mention you can't adjust the headlights without removing them. If you want more light without a Retro use HIR bulbs. Otherwise you're fooling yourself and blinding others.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,575 Posts
OP, your new optics are myopic. They are not real HID projectors. Frankly you'd have been better off with fireflies in a mason jar as a light source.

The fact that you can really notice illumination of road signs now is a huge giveaway that the optics are garbage and that you are creating a lot of glare for oncoming traffic. Bad move on your part.

·
Day Walker
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP, your new optics are myopic. They are not real HID projectors. Frankly you'd have been better off with fireflies in a mason jar as a light source.

The fact that you can really notice illumination of road signs now is a huge giveaway that the optics are garbage and that you are creating a lot of glare for oncoming traffic. Bad move on your part.
While I disagree that fireflies in a mason jar would prove to be a sufficient light source, I do agree that after closer inspection and actually speaking to someone at Pro Tuning that these are not true HID projectors, which I am severely disappointed. I went this route because I did not want to bake head lights. I will buy true HID projectors and either Retro these or my OEM lenses, most likely these since I want to keep my OEM lenses intact. It was never my intention to blind oncoming drivers. I will fix this. Thanks to you and everyone else for setting me straight before I blind everyone.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
I do agree that after closer inspection and actually speaking to someone at Pro Tuning that these are not true HID projectors, which I am severely disappointed. I went this route because I did not want to bake head lights. I will buy true HID projectors and either Retro these or my OEM lenses, most likely these since I want to keep my OEM lenses intact. It was never my intention to blind oncoming drivers. I will fix this. Thanks to you and everyone else for setting me straight before I blind everyone.
Here's the good news, TRS sells a projector kit designed specifically for aftermarket headlights, so if you like the design and don't want to take apart the OEM headlights it's an option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts