Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I didn't put this in the Fluid Dynamics section, because I feel it's 8G specific)

Looks like my engine might be getting run pretty hard. The broadstrokes being my oil (4 qts Amsoil with .5 qt Redline) with 2500 miles on it and 6 months time shows wear metals on par with oil that's been run for 6800 miles. I'd have to check my records, but I think I've done 3 or 4 oil changes now so I'm definitely on a short interval.

Untitled.jpg

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,137 Posts
How is this 8th gen specific? Just because you own one? It's the same ubiquitous 2.4l that's been around since 2003.

·
"Old School" Shifter
380 Posts
You drive it. Don't drive it so hard. Save some money and use a good conventional oil and a Honda filter. Have it changed at Honda so they have records at least until the warranty is out.

·
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moved. Otherwise no one would ever post in this section if they went by generation only.
Fine by me. :thmsup:

How is this 8th gen specific? Just because you own one? It's the same ubiquitous 2.4l that's been around since 2003.
Had to do a bit of research on this, but it appears the 7G engine is functionally as different as the 8G as the 9G is to the 8G. 7G being K24A, 8G being K24Z, and 9G being K24W. Cosmetically Accord I4's all seem similar.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
Well this is a family car and maybe the engine just isn't designed to be pushed as hard as you claim you push it? Perhaps a more performance oriented car is in your future?

·
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well this is a family car and maybe the engine just isn't designed to be pushed as hard as you claim you push it? Perhaps a more performance oriented car is in your future?
I've been driving a bit easier recently. Mainly because I've mostly had to do city driving where pushing hard is dangerous and doesn't really save any time with all the traffic lights. I'm expecting the next oil analysis in June will show drastically reduced wear. The Amsoil seems to do pretty well with my short commutes where the engine barely has time to reach operating temperature (high TBN).

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wonder if oil capacity can affect the test results. Our inline 4's have a relatively low capacity at ~4.2 quarts. My other car (German), a 2.3 liter inline 4 has a capacity ~5.8 quarts.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
I've been driving a bit easier recently. Mainly because I've mostly had to do city driving where pushing hard is dangerous and doesn't really save any time with all the traffic lights. I'm expecting the next oil analysis in June will show drastically reduced wear. The Amsoil seems to do pretty well with my short commutes where the engine barely has time to reach operating temperature (high TBN).
Hopefully the next analysis will be better. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

What does this mean? (high TBN)

·
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[/B]

What does this mean? (high TBN)
I'm basically just repeating what I've learned in about 10 minutes worth of googling, but TBN seems to stand for something related to how basic (as in acidic or basic) the oil is. TBN > 1 means the oil has the ability to neutralize the acids that are generated via cold engine running.

High TBN means the oil is still serviceable as long as the wear metals are low. High wear metals + High TBN (which I'm on the border of "high wear") means you need an oil change, even though in theory you could filter out all the wear metal and put the oil back in.

·
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated at 28k miles.

Wear metals still high, much longer mileage on this oil change. Seems that driving hard indeed adds more wear, but tuning and 7500 rpm redline doesn't seem to have dramatically increased wear. On the first analysis I wasn't tuned.

Filter was Fram Ultra.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts