Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1st Time Honda Owner
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have been having an issue lately with my 2003 Honda Accord EX Coupe 2.4L I4 KA5AT.

My RPM drops from 1000 to 500/600 for about 20 seconds or so and feels like the engine wants to shut down then goes back to normal 1000 rpm's or so. Keeps doing it every so often but it's beginning to bug me. Car feels fine while driving it's just when i'm idling that it's doing this.

I did a tune up like 2 months ago give or take and changed the spark plugs with NGK Iridium IZFR6K11 along with the air filter, oil change, etc.

Anyone have a suggestion on what they think could be doing this??

I figured I will have to see a mechanic but I don't mind checking a couple of things out to save a couple of bucks if it's something simple I can change or fix.

·
1st Time Honda Owner
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) It happened on my civic where it would die at idle.
okay thanks for the tip, I'll check into this part. Doesn't look like something that can be that easily removed.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Your car is idling at 1,000 rpm? That's too high.

Idle problems? Do the cheap and easy first: Clean the MAF, the throttle body, and check the air intake hose for a slight crack. A few members here have had cracked intakes lately. Age, plus beating on them when doing air filter changes, can take their toll.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts