Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’m about half way through the process and thought I would post what I have completed sense it is playable...lol.. I installed the Alpine MRV-M500 amplifier, LC2i, and a temporary 12” sub in a ProBox. I ran my power wire through the firewall by drilling a 1/2” hole and grommet. I ran the bass knob to a blank switch and had to take it out of its case as well as remove plastic on the blank. Next up is to build a fiberglass enclosure on the right side for either a 10” or 12” sub, but for now the old 12” in the ProBox will work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
looks good ricky bobby! how do you like the improvement in sound filling in the low end? Have you discoed the ANC? I'm currently building up my materials for my install and seriously contemplated building a fiberglass enclosure on the driver's side where you mounted your equipment - digging the finish work around said equipment btw looks really clean. - great job!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds much better but the MTX sub is not the greatest and it’s 4ohms so I’m leaving a lot of power on the table. I did disconnect the ANC at time of install. I hope to get the box going next weekend and will be running a DVC 4ohm at a 2ohm load.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I reworked my system this weekend moving the components to the left wall and finally got around to installing my Skar 10” sub. I really wanted to fiberglass it into the right side trunk but after looking at the cost of the materials, factoring in the huge mess it would be, and not knowing if the box would have optimal air space I decided to just build my own sealed enclosure. The Skar is a 4 ohm DVC wired at 2 ohms with 500+ watts going to it and all I can say is WOW.. This thing absolutely rocks and hits very hard for one 10” sub. The box is 1.1 square feet of air space with Polyfil and I have it firing towards the back of the car, I plan to install feet on the front or the box and turn it over to fire down but I ran out of time this weekend. If it still sounds good firing down that will be the permanent install to allow items to be thrown in the trunk with no worry of damaging the sub.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I tried the downward firing sub position but did not care for the sound as much as I do the rear facing or up facing direction. I went ahead and settled on the up facing subwoofer position to allow items to be thrown in the trunk without worry of them hitting the subwoofer. While I was at it I added some accents to the box just for style points LOL. I think as time permits I’m going to start working on the fiberglass enclosure for the side of the trunk. Once I have it completed I’ll be able to test the fiberglass versus wood and see if I can live with the fiberglass enclosure.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I started on the fiberglass enclosure today. I laid down a good layer of tape and followed that with the layer of foil and taped all the seams together nicely. I got the first layer of fiberglass lay down and then let it dry for just a bit and proceeded To the second layer of fiberglass. Then I came back with a partial third later to try to fill in the edges and strength in the corners and now I’m letting it all dry till tomorrow morning. I hope to be able to pull it out of the car tomorrow to be able to finish up the main part of the enclosure and will try to get the circles mounted and maybe even fleeced.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to Lowe’s and bought the Bondo brand fiberglass resin, ordered the 2.5 oz matte from Amazon. I added one last coat tonight to the base and trimmed it with a cutoff wheel and grinder. I also spent a little time sanding all the edges and doing a little clean up in general.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went to Lowe’s and bought the Bondo brand fiberglass resin, ordered the 2.5 oz matte from Amazon. I added one last coat tonight to the base and trimmed it with a cutoff wheel and grinder. I also spent a little time sanding all the edges and doing a little clean up in general.
Just wear a 😷 when working with that stuff - it ain’t real healthy for ya!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Have you done this before? That does look like a ton of work. But at least you will have a nice enclosure when it's done and the pride that you did the work.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is my first time and that’s exactly what I thought when I started this process. Until I was climbed halfway in the trunk for hours on end trying to get fiberglass mat to stick upside down and backwards. And then repeat that process three times...lol.. Then finally you get to remove it and work on it outside the car. Now I have to deal with the trunk hinge and in order to get enough volume I will probably have to build a channel in the enclosure for the trunk lid hinge to set..,

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finished up the finial trimming to obtain one foot of airspace and mounted the ring last night. Did a little fiberglassing on the ring support structure and left it to dry. Tonight I plan to fleece it and apply a coat of resin to let it harden. It won’t be long now...lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great first fiberglass enclosure! I made a ported over in the left side for a JL 10w3v3. I was challenged with a notch for the hinge as well. Hardest part of my build.

You can see where I had to add the "upside down table" to attached the spandex to so it sits in farther than it naturally wanted to.

I really like your original amp location. I might have to the the same. Right now it's mounted to the back of the seat.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those that have done this project already how did you secure the sub to the trunk wall? I have a few ideas but until it’s finished and I can test them I’m not sure how i will.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts