Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
My other car is a Cobra
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front tires were going bald and I just changed the oil, so it was time for a tire rotation. Some Michelin Primacy MXV4's are in my future. Also took this time to inspect my brakes, all pads are still good at 26k miles.

The clean freak in me decided to clean the inside of the wheel after I got the tires off...lots of brake dust. The heat index in this part of Florida is 92, but feels like 112, and this is at 6:30pm - it was much hotter earlier when I did this. A dip in the pool afterward felt really good.

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Memories . . . . That was a bi-annual scene for me when I lived in PA. In the fall and spring the cars would be up on the jack stands swapping the summer / winter wheels. The summer alloy wheels would get a wash and wax inside and out.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
quick question.. how do you guys change your tires? for example summer/winter tires. im guessing by yourself. but do you use the tools that comes with the spare? would that even tighten the lugs enough? im always thinking the wheel might come off or something if i were to change it by hand..

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I wish I could do this myself.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dumb question, but how do you balance and align everything after rotating them?

·
Registered
235 Posts
quick question.. how do you guys change your tires? for example summer/winter tires. im guessing by yourself. but do you use the tools that comes with the spare? would that even tighten the lugs enough? im always thinking the wheel might come off or something if i were to change it by hand..
I was wondering the same thing, I know there's air wrenches but my compressor prolly wouldn't power one. Snap-on makes cordless impact wrenches, they're expensive, but good quality. I might pick one up on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Dumb question, but how do you balance and align everything after rotating them?
You don't, balance and alignment settings are not affected from rotating tires.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had a similar worry in the past but not anymore. I bought a $30 Craftsman (made in USA!) beam torque wrench. When I put the wheels back on, I put the lugs back on in a star pattern, and tighten each lug nut according to spec (80 lb feet of torque if I remember correctly). Then I take a short drive around the block, and check the torque on the lug nuts again. As long as you have a good torque wrench, you can make sure the lug nuts are as tight as they need to be (and not too tight)

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
I did everything by hand, no power tools. I had a floor jack (hydraulic) and would jack up the front end, place the stands under it, jack up the rear, and place the stands. But I have also used the car's jack and done one corner at a time. I would use the spare tire iron to crack the nuts and take them off and then to hand tighten the lug nuts. When finished I used a torque wrench to torque them properly. After a few days I would re-check the torque. There was nothing to re-balance as each set of tires was mounted on their own rims. It was just a matter of unbolting one set and re-bolting the new set.

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
most of the time i use the stock jack that comes the car's trunk. i also use the stock lug wrench. i used my stock jack so many times and one day it just broke on me, luckily my wheels were still on so there were no damages. however, the stock lug wrench has proved useful for me. i have never used a torque wrench and dont really believe you HAVE to use one. no, my wheel has never fallen off on me before. i just tighten as much as i could with my hand, and since i can apply at least 120 pounds of force, and factor in the length of the lug wrench....i can apply at least 80 ft-lbs of force. so no worries for me.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
The torque wrench is meant to apply even force loading to all lug nuts to prevent uneven pressure on the brake rotor which could cause brake vibration, that's why I use mine for final tightening.

That said most people can apply pretty even force by hand if they are somewhat coordinated.

I use a pnuematic impact wrench rated for 500 ft-lb reverse, and a small pan-cake compressor to power it, I initially bought it to loosen the crankshaft nut during timing belt change, it saves a lot of time and energy in other tasks, I also have a long-reach floor jack with one-stroke to raise the jacking point.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I read somewhere it's not good to use the spare tire jack for regular maintenance. I forget why, but I think it was only designed to be used in emergencies, but can't stand up to being used as often as reglar maintenance.

·
My other car is a Cobra
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish I could do this myself.
I was in this exact boat not that long ago. Sears > Craftsman floor jack w/ two jack stands - $70, 2 Craftsman jack stands $20. For right around $100 you will have everything you need to DIY.

I use these plus some Blitz Rhino Floor Ramps for $40 on amazon to do all the maintenance on my two vehicles.

Posted these pics and didn't realize it looked like I was doing a hover car mod :thmsup:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I read somewhere it's not good to use the spare tire jack for regular maintenance. I forget why, but I think it was only designed to be used in emergencies, but can't stand up to being used as often as reglar maintenance.
Probably so when this jack is all you have on the road you can rely on it to work and not be worn out from rotating tires (like paperboy above) at home where you have options.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Call me a noob because I've never had a car up on 4 jack stands or whatever, but how is the stability when you're putting the wheels back on and tightening the bolts? I'm imagining a horrible scenario where the pressure applied creates imbalances and knocks the car off of the stands. :dunno:

I was going to buy two stands and a floor jack and do 1 side at a time. At the time it seemed the most stable option and cheapest too, haha.

Anyhow, thank you OP for the pictures. The first one really looks like a hover car. :thmsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Most wheels, especially OEM ones are hub-centric, so they self center on the hub, you then snug up the lug nuts, lower the car, and then torque the lug nuts to the right value, there is little danger of unbalancing the car unless you were leaning against the car somehow.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Most wheels, especially OEM ones are hub-centric, so they self center on the hub, you then snug up the lug nuts, lower the car, and then torque the lug nuts to the right value, there is little danger of unbalancing the car unless you were leaning against the car somehow.
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. Here, I was imagining you'd torque then fully while up on the jacks. I don't know why, because I've seen it done before. Perhaps the hover car was making me imagine things. Side effects of hover engine?!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts