Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
QuaziMoto
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, long time user (lurker) on these forums, they have helped me get through a myriad of issues with my previous gen Accords ('98 EX, '95 EX, '05 EX-L) and now I have a 2017 Accord EX that I started leasing in 2016 (first new car ever! :D).

Compared to my previous cars/Accords, I immediately noticed how much lighter the materials that make up the body are. Along with this observation I've also noticed how much more easily the body gets damaged. My car already had a small handful of dings around the body from living in an city and parking my car on the street.

Recently, when walking up to my car after work (I work in a suburb away from the city, with its own gated parking lot) I noticed a shallow dent in my hood along with a a small horizontal crease to the right of the dent. The location of the dent is about 12 inches to the right, 6 inches down from the center of the hood. The dent about the size of my hand but barely noticeable - I can only see it when 10-20 feet away from my car at certain angles, basically when the light reflecting off of the hood shows some irregularity in the shape of the hood. I will be going out to take pictures and posting them later if I can leave work before it gets dark.

My first thought was someone bumped into it or something heavy fell onto it so I inspected the area very closely, no paint scratches, even the dust/salt that had built up on the car since my last wash was untouched so I ruled out an outside impact.

I started to backtrack and remembered I had gotten an oil change a few days earlier. I got it at my regular mechanic - I've been going to him for years and have always trusted him. He's gone out of his way to help me out before so I didn't think twice about it. However... I know it was one of his techs that did the job, not him. Now, given that the 2017 Accord has an aluminum alloy hood (can someone confirm that?), I began to think that maybe they left something in the engine bay when they tried to close my hood after the oil change. I checked the hood insulation pad directly under the area of damage to see if it looked like anything was smashed against the hood but I couldn't see anything there either. Maybe the tech tried to close my hood by putting the hood down and then pushing down on the hood instead of dropping it (again, no markings on the outside would rule this out).

My last theory - Maybe the shop opened the hood, propped it up, and then put the car up on the lift. Perhaps when the car was being lifted/lowered, the force of gravity on the hood while the whole car was moving caused enough torsional stress to make that small dent+crease. Is that even possible? I looked up the protocol for operating lifts and most online sources say that doors and hood should be closed except for certain cases (apparently Coorvettes are so heavy and their frame is so rigid that they have to open the doors when lifting so that the frame doesn't bend or crack). I'm going to play around with my hood later to see if that is actually a possibility.

Anyone have any insight about this? Relevant experiences, or even advice?

At the end of the day it's a 20K Honda Accord, so it's not the end of the world... but I kind of want to get to the bottom of this just so I can prevent it from happening again. I've been meaning to get a dash cam and if I had gotten it already, maybe it would've captured that!

Thanks in advance!

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
Lol I have a mysterious dent that showed up on my A piller... but I never noticed how long its been there... I considered that Honda did it when they fixed my driver window... or the nighbour hit it with their F150 by swinging their door open... at the end of the day I would not worry too much how it happened... unless you have proof you won't get anyone fessing up to it.

Just have it pulled by paintless dent removal or grab the DIY kit on Amazon... should be good as new afterward.

Reactions: Quazi Hoque

·
Registered
2,711 Posts

At the end of the day it's a 20K Honda Accord, so it's not the end of the world... but I kind of want to get to the bottom of this just so I can prevent it from happening again. I've been meaning to get a dash cam and if I had gotten it already, maybe it would've captured that!

Thanks in advance!
You cannot prevent someone from being negligent.
If you figure that one out, let me know.
You can re-live all sorts of scenarios in your head, but the bottom line is: it won't prevent it. And, other than you going somewhere else...it's not going to stop it from happening, altogether.

Years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth...I had two front shocks put in, on my old Buick, and the guy at Pepboys, when moving the ac compressor...broke one of the lines.
He then tried to hide it.

You're never going to correct/prevent an occurrence with someone, who's out to screw you.

Chances are you're right, but if you confront him, or even suggest it...will he admit it?!...who knows.
Also, be happy you don't OWN the car, and that you're only leasing it.

·
Elvira
3,437 Posts
Possible the tech left a tool on the engine and closed the hood creating a fulcrum bending the hood. :dunno:

Your theory about the movement of the hood while being lifted makes sense too.

Depending on the pictures, you might be a candidate for a dry ice/hair dryer fix. The temp extremes allow the dent to pop out with no tools.

:worthless

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,363 Posts

Figuring out the mystery is a waste of time. I'd rather deal with the reality that the hood is dented. A good body shop should be able to pull the dent without costing a fortune. I'd start asking around.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
This typically happens after a night out with a tad too much booze and no Uber.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Are there any trees around where you park? I watched a branch fly out of a neighbor's tree, and put a dent in a friend's car (15-20mph winds that day). A branch (wood) will not usually make a scratch, or leave much evidence at all, besides the dent itself. You might even see the branch laying a few feet away from your car, and think nothing of it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Kids in the neighborhood? Maybe a baseball or kids climbing on the hood while playing tag? Please load some pictures.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Pardon my confusion... :confused:

If there's a "dent" in the hood, how can it possibly have been caused by some jerk leaving something on top of the engine? Something on top of the engine might cause a "bulge" in the hood, but certainly not a dent.

So clearly, the hood was hit by someone and/or something...

Get an estimate to fix it and decide whether to submit a claim to your insurance, or not, and be done with it before you give yourself ulcers.

·
QuaziMoto
2 Posts
Hey everyone, thanks for the responses, lighting was off most of the days I tried to take a picture but I finally got some - you can see the distortion in the hood if you look at the reflection of the power lines in the pic.

https://imgur.com/g80LAAR

https://imgur.com/YLPKqov

https://imgur.com/AzCBD7W

@2Accordz - you are very right, I guess the best thing is for me to become self sufficient and do my own oil changes. I used to do them on my used cars, it's just so much cheaper to get them done at a shop and not have to dispose of it myself.
@qman - I happen to drive both Lyft and Uber and I refuse to leave the stickers on my car when not driving because I fear retaliation from drunk kids. I live in an area with a lot of bars and college students. One morning around a year ago I saw a set of footprints going from the hood of my car to the trunk and then to every other car in the row behind me...I have no idea how my hood did not get dented from that.
@BLCKFLSH - No trees, I refuse to park under trees, even in the winter. I hate bird sh!t on my car.
@Ronch - As for the dent - I said it was very shallow and there was a crease to the right of it. My theory about something being left on the engine was that it caused the crease/bulge and the slight raising of that piece of the hood cause a slight dip in the metal to the left of the bulge (the shallow dent). I'm searching for a name for this concept but nothing so far...but what you are talking about is "impact depression".

I guess the pics from the hyperlink didn't work. Let's try that again with attachments instead...

I know these aren't great but honestly they are the best pictures of the dent from my attempts over the past week.

Attachments

·
Elvira
3,437 Posts
I reiterate that the tech left something there, like the oil cap !!

If that is the 4 cylinder the cap would be on the left and the loose cap might sit directly in the middle of the hood where that dent/raised crease is located.

Same goes for the v6 if the cap was placed on the intake plastic panel.

What does the oil filler cap look like? Does it look damaged? crushed slightly?

It's inconsequential as to what caused this but it would identify the possible culprit.

Still appears to be fixable and a lease will probably require you to fix it or pay later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts