Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I found my rear left tire was totally deflated. Put the spare tire on and inflated to 60psi.

It's a nail/screw, obviously picked up during parking, because when I removed the wheel, the nail was at the very bottom.

The tire is quite new. Should I plug it myself (I have the plug kit from Harbor Freight) or have a shop to repair it properly?

·
Pilot without a plane
437 Posts
If you don't want to take it in to get fixed, I'd just plug it and move on. I've never had a problem plugging tires myself. Proper fix would be to remove the tire, install patch inside, and remount/balance.

Discount Tire will repair flats free or wherever you got the tires from as long as you got Road Hazard.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I'm on my 3rd 50-count pack of plugs. Never had an issue.

EDIT: Actually, about 3 months ago a plug leaked and I had a low tire. Pulled it out and put in a new one and no more problems. That's the only time I had an issue with a plug.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
What TX Accord said.
Sometimes a good plug kit will hold for the life of the tire, if done right.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If it’s a new tire, my vote is to patch it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Try plugging it first. In the unlikely case the plug won't hold, take it to a shop. If you decide to take it to a shop, don't go to a place where they put stickers on the tire and on the rim to avoid having to balance later. If you take it to a shop, take it to where it will be done properly. I mean if you're not even going to balance my wheel, what am I paying you for?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The proper way to repair is to install one of those plug/patch combos. The tyre has to be removed for that, the foreign object removed, the plug/patch inserted, glued, and trimmed. And then the tyre re-mounted and re-balanced.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for every one's comment, which made me confident about just plugging it. Then, I checked with Pep Boys. They offer 1 discounted flat tire repair per year for people who signed up with its reward program, which I signed up years ago.

I dropped off the dismounted wheel at Pep Boys, then went out shopping. 3 hours later, I went back and was told they forgot to patch the tire. A mechanic immediately started to patch the tire,while I was watching. He took off the tire, plugged the nail hole with a mushroom like thing. At last, the tire is balanced. 15 minutes.

Pep Boys didn't charge me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This morning, I found my rear left tire was totally deflated. Put the spare tire on and inflated to 60psi.

It's a nail/screw, obviously picked up during parking, because when I removed the wheel, the nail was at the very bottom.

The tire is quite new. Should I plug it myself (I have the plug kit from Harbor Freight) or have a shop to repair it properly?
i prefer to demount the tire by myself (if the modified demounting tool decides to cooperate) and patch the inside of the tire. i think plugs are ok too though as ive used them in the past. some tires are so tight to the rim you cant get the tire to demount from the rim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts