Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a local car dealership today just to window shop and a 07 ex-l i4 with navi cought my eye. I really liked the overall functionality that the GPS added to the car. I got to wondering how much would be involved in a almost total conversion from non-navi to navi?
Are there any extra wires from the ECU to the radio?
Can I simply just use the navigation head-unit + heads up display to start with and add the other things (DVD, GPS anntenna) later?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Can I simply just use the navigation head-unit + heads up display to start with and add the other things (DVD, GPS anntenna) later?
No. There is alot of extra work involved with switching non-navi to navi. The head unit alone is the most expensive part by far though (500-600 used, 1,500-1,700 new)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda figured the head unit would be the most expensive after looking at eBay.

I'm interested to see what's involved in the conversion. Anyone know where I can find this info? I'm not at all scared to tackle a project like this. I might even document the whole process *if* I go through with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,420 Posts
It has been done and documented. Search for Hilltones' thread on it. He and a few other members did it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been done and documented. Search for Hilltones' thread on it. He and a few other members did it.
Indeed. I remember reading hillstones thread a year or so ago. After searching these forums for a hour I couldn't find much so I gave up and posted this thread.

·
06 6MT Sedan
679 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly what I was looking for :thumbsup:
I added a tag to the thread to make it easier for future searches :thmsup:

I did it in my car. You will have to purchase a specific kit from a guy Martin. He makes a custom conversion harness that is required. You are looking at $1500-$2000 for a full conversion.
Is this the guy?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/acurahondaexpert/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3686

I see the harness is $449.99. And full kits are ~$1400.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's even options for if you want to go without the DVD rom in the trunk...

after doing a bit of a search this option may be the most complex... Still VERY cool looking though :D

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Honda Racing Evolution
1,646 Posts
@ Op

Just wanted to say that if your gonna go ahead with the conversion, get an navi from 06-07 model since they have better/improved software, on the video^ I believe it is aftermarket software on oem navi because I don't recognize it

Anyways I seriously wouldn't go ahead with the conversion since too much money involved and you wouldn't get full functionality from the unit. I would just exchange my car for an a car with navi

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you can read Russian you might be able to find out how he did it.

http://forum.pccar.ru/showthread.php?t=2236
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/418158-post9.html
Thanks for the links :)
Reading into it a bit, I would be in over my head on that kinda thing. I'll keep this project on the back burner until I have the money to burn on something like this.

@ Op

Just wanted to say that if your gonna go ahead with the conversion, get an navi from 06-07 model since they have better/improved software, on the video^ I believe it is aftermarket software on oem navi because I don't recognize it

Anyways I seriously wouldn't go ahead with the conversion since too much money involved and you wouldn't get full functionality from the unit. I would just exchange my car for an a car with navi
I always liked the look of the 06-07 navi unit anyway, so you'll get no argument there.

You're right about the conversion being simply too much. If this was around $500-700 for the whole project I'd strongly consider it. But it's more then double that. I *might* get just the navi head unit and sub display if I can find a good deal on them. But at this point I have bigger things to deal with. So again, I'll put this on the back burner to think about in the future.

Hopefully this thread helps others that are considering it. It's a cool weekend project for the spring/summer time. I may revisit it then.

Thanks again for all that helped in the thread :thmsup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One last question, is the premium stereo a direct swap?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm looking into installing factory Navi system into my 03 V6 MT6 as it never had the option here in canada.
My car came with Premium Sound system and to my understanding is that it has 180W and extra crossover for the extra speekers.
I know that there number of sources for "ready to plug" wiring harness but I was thinking of making my own.
I'm wondering if any one has wiring diagram for 03-05 and 06-07 models as I'm thinking of getting the later model of HU cause of the software difference.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm looking into installing factory Navi system into my 03 V6 MT6 as it never had the option here in canada.
My car came with Premium Sound system and to my understanding is that it has 180W and extra crossover for the extra speekers.
I know that there number of sources for "ready to plug" wiring harness but I was thinking of making my own.
I'm wondering if any one has wiring diagram for 03-05 and 06-07 models as I'm thinking of getting the later model of HU cause of the software difference.
Thanks guys
If you want a direct replacement premium audio system head unit there's one on ebay now. I was about to buy it for $450 but something came up so I had to pass on it for now. It's still up on ebay too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/honda-accor...&item=200647846945&pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr
Just message the seller and make him a reasonable offer.

Just to clarify there's only one person who currently makes a harness for our cars. This guy:
http://myworld.ebay.com/acurahondaexpert/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Your best bet for a wiring diagram will be a honda service manual. If you have the time to research it and it's worth your time then go for it. Otherwise buy the pre-made harness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
... this option may be the most complex..
It's as simple as plugging a new TV home. Knowledge of Electronics is not necessary - all connections PnP. If you know how to install the HU, you will need no more than 30 minutes.

Using a PC, you get an almost unlimited range of functions -multimedia, internet, technical diagnostics, navigation (IGO, Garmin Mobile PC, Sygic Drive PC, PC Nqavigator, Auto Mapa, etc.).

Specialized computer is not required! Successfully working UMPC or netbook, like Asus eeePC 701 4G or901.

I'll keep this project on the back burner until I have the money to burn on something like this.
The cost of GA-Net+ Femto half the cost of wire harness cable

1 - 20 of 27 Posts