Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Long time, hope all is well. I've been busy recently, and Thursday officially became a freshman in college!! :banana: Anyways, as everyone knows I have a 07 V6 Sedan SERIOUSLY in need of new tires! I need advice on which set would be the best for my car. I live in the South, so keep in mind the mostly year round warm weather, and would like to spend preferably less than $150 a tire. These tire do not need to be for tracks or racing, but for daily driving. However, I would like them to have a little bit more than the average tire. Also, keep in mind, I plan on lowering my car soon with an Pro-Kit (1'5" f, 1'0" r) and also will be adding a 17mm Rear Sway bar. Not sure if that affects tires at all, just info I thought I would add.
Thanks for any advice,
Chip

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Go to tirerack.com, put in your model, I looked up yours as having 17" rims. There's limited choices, Michelin, General, Yokohama. There's others too, but some Bridgestones get extremely noisy or wear out too fast.

If however you go to 225 45 17 there are WAY more choices. You'd have to search by size.

The Generals have performed well on my mom's '03 EXL4. 16"

The Yokos are highly rated, I've not seen that model from them, but haven't been impressed with other Yokos I've seen as far as tread life goes.

I can't seem to get the link below to work, but I'll put it there anyway.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...-L V6&autoModClar=&sortCode=49550&tireIndex=0

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now.. I'll be honest, I'm not "tiresavy" at all..
So what is the difference between the 225 45 17 and my stock tires? I can still use my stock V6 rims with the 225 45 17 tires right?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
If you have 17s you should have 215 50 17, an oddball size that not many tires come in. I have no idea why Honda chose that size. Just to be a pain I suppose.

The 225 45 17, which has nearly the same rolling diameter, you have tons more choices. They fit stock rims fine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay sweet, so what tire brands are recommended? I have NEXENs on there now, which I really don't mind, but I would prefer some low profile, so that when I lower it, it looks good!

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
235/50 is too tall.

The larger rolling diameter will do a few things, make the gearing essentially taller, make the speedo read slower, and with VSA it can possibly throw off its ability to do its job correctly.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
I just put General Altimax's on my car. WAY quieter and a much softer ride. Grip is great. The tires were cheap too (from tire rack).
My old tires were the terrible Michelin OEM tires, which were noisy, frequently hydroplaned, and had completely worn out in 40,000 miles.
I'm hoping these tires wear better.
I'd start at tirerack.com. Read the surveys on the tires you are looking for, compare them to the stock tires, and, if they have them, check the reviews. Tirerack does a nice job reviewing and compiling user data.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a set of General Alitmax Rt's and they are the best tire I have ever had. Grippy in wet or dry and I live in Arkansas looking foward to the fall to test them out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
235/50/17s

I just got a set of 235/50/17 Yokohamas for my 06 V6.

Scozz,

How do you like your setup?

I am looking to put some 17x7.5s (offset 45) with 235/50/17s onto an 03 Accord.

Will I run into any issues with these specs? Rubbing? Is it a huge diff in spedo?

Thanks
E

Awesome pic btw!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have conti dws 215/50/17..initially they has a pull to the right. After a few months that disappeared. They are unbelievably quiet and hold the road better than stock. Ride is now less abrupt and the contis seem to make the accord run more like a luxury car. A cross between a Lexus and Acura. Very light too. Watch out for the pull to the right though..that was a major complaint by several posters. Check out the reviews on tire rack. #1 rated.

·
lookin' clean
671 Posts
I run General UHP's during the summer 225/50/17. I did have 215/45/17 goodyear D3 GS's before and it sat much lower with the 45 sidewall. I actually think it handled better with the 45 series tires because there was less flex, but it could of been the goodyear tires themselves. I am also dropped on the pro-kit and I like the 50 series better because I scraped quite a bit with the 45 sidewalls. I run the stock size tires with General Altimax's for snow tires but I hate the road noise those tires give off (its like a mini truck or SUV tire).

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Just had a set of Cooper CS4 Touring in the stock tire size installed. So far, they seem to be a good tire. Got them installed for about $500 on sale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts