Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a 2007 Accord Sedan EXV6 Navi. Mileage is 16,700 miles. Regularly serviced by Dealer as reflected on Carfax. Lease vehicle with Clean Carfax. Certified vehicle with warranty for 7 years/100,000 miles from the date of original purchase.

The sales girl says that the car is flawless and everything right from paint to mechanical condition is immaculate. I haven't seen it personally though. I'm going for a test drive on Monday. Dealer is asking $15,900. What price can be considered reasonable if the car is indeed in excellent condition? Please advise me as soon as possible. Thank you.

Srinivas

·
TL A-Specs RUBY------CURB
931 Posts
Srinivas,

I would start negotiations at about 14K or so. Like you I am desi too! and we never pay full price! so! start negotiating at 14K and see what she says. if you are able to meet her around 14,900-15,000 u got a good deal considering it has very low miles!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your inputs. I just made an offer for 14250 over the net. Let me see what their response is going to be :cig:

·
No longer active
702 Posts
15,900 is a good deal to begin with. However, I don't think making an offer without seeing/driving/testing the car is a good idea. Ever. Carfax isn't the end all be all, though it is admittedly helpful. Many things can slip past carfax.
Ask if you can have the car looked over by an independent mechanic, look for signs of minor accident damage and repairs. Ask if they have service records. Look at the tires for signs of abuse, uneven wear, etc.
The Carmax by me has an 07 Accord EX V6 with Navi that has 36k and is listed for $18,500. Either the dealer is offering amazing bargains or there is something you don't know about the car that they do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Btw, if you want any of those nice OEM accessories (fogs, block heather, trunk liner,...) might as well try to put them in your negotiations. :)

·
07 Sdn
395 Posts
If the car is as good looking as they say you are NOT going to get a lower price than that in NY. If you do i'll be very impressed :)

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Let's work this backwards. According to KBB, trade in value for a pristine 2007, EX-V6 Sedan with 17,000 miles is $15,525. If you've ever traded in a car, you know that dealers don't actually pay what KBB says a car is worth. A normal dealer would have probably paid around $14,800 for that car. If you add $400 for the certified warranty, the dealer's real cost is probably around $15,200. Usually, used car profit is at least $500. (Dealers often look for $1,500+.) Provided the car is immaculate, a price of $15,900 is already very good. If they don't budge on price, or move only a couple hundred dollars, don't feel insulted.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Let's work this backwards. According to KBB, trade in value for a pristine 2007, EX-V6 Sedan with 17,000 miles is $15,525. If you've ever traded in a car, you know that dealers don't actually pay what KBB says a car is worth. A normal dealer would have probably paid around $14,800 for that car. If you add $400 for the certified warranty, the dealer's real cost is probably around $15,200. Usually, used car profit is at least $500. (Dealers often look for $1,500+.) Provided the car is immaculate, a price of $15,900 is already very good. If they don't budge on price, or move only a couple hundred dollars, don't feel insulted.
Suggested retail value of the car (2007 EXV6 sedan with navi) with low miles is $20,560, making this a screaming deal.
The price they quoted is very good. I still say go drive it to make sure it operates perfectly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Carfax isn't the end all be all, though it is admittedly helpful. Many things can slip past carfax.
Almost more importantly, things can be added to the Carfax after you purchase the vehicle.

Happened to me on an 03 Mustang I bought from a dealer with 6k on it.

When I went to sell it the Carfax had an accident with frame damage from before I bought the car. Guess who took the hit on the trade-in value... this guy, not the previous owner.

Carfax has gotta be the biggest scam in the industry.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think more dealers are cutting their asking price on internet advertised cars because the competition is getting too tight and too visible. Most internet cars I've tracked down because they had a great listing price where either gone already or there wasn't much budge in the price.

I think 15900 would be a great deal for 19k, Navi....probably stickered at 27500. Even if it has had minor repair work its still a good deal on a nice car. I bought my 07 EX-L Coupe with 49K for under $13000 private party. Dealer retail was around 16500. Clean carfax, but seller admitted driver door repair and I later found some very minor hail damage to the roof...you have to be OCD to even see it. I still feel like I got a nice used car.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
thats a REALLY good deal compared to mine. i paid 16.8k out the door for my 07 LX 4cyl sedan with 18k miles... hopefully yours drives well too, good find!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the inputs. Lots of twists and turns over the last few days. My wife calls me up and says buy a 2010 Accord or Camry because she just has another 1.5 years to finish her residency. So, I cancelled the test drive appointment and it took me a day to convince her that we don't need a 38,000 Dollar Sedan at this time. I said we might as well throw in some more money and buy a Lexus. As long as we get finance it shouldn't be a problem. She was convinced for now :) (I love this generation Accord V6 and that is the secret. Shouldn't let the secret to wife :thumbsup:). So, I called up the dealership again and scheduled the test drive for tomorrow for this 2007 Accord. I'm going to do an Autocheck on the car tonight anyway.

Last time when I was looking around for a used Accord/Camry, I came across a Camry that I almost bought. Carfax was clean as a whistle. I'm kind of a paranoid guy. I already took an Autocheck account by then because almost everybody is providing Carfax. So, I did an Autocheck on the car and guess what, it came back as Auctioned in Eastern Region. Structural/Frame damage reported. wow! called up the seller and he started getting defensive and annoyed. I said thanks and walked away from the deal. That's a learning experience. I will always use both Carfax and Autocheck. Ofcourse, nothing to beat an inspection by a mechanic.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
Neither are infallible, but I prefer Autocheck because they DO report if the car had reported frame damage. Though, when I was car shopping last year, and again this year for my mother in law, I didn't find anyone get defensive about their salvage titles/damages. Most people told me upfront when I told them I'd run the histories.

Though, one that messed with me was a guy that told me all about his car's salvage/rebuild history, and that's why it was cheap, but NOTHING showed on either CF or AC. He said he knew it wasn't there, he didn't know why, they were full-on title status changes. So -- just gotta beware.

If it's Honda Certified, then they should also be certifying that there is no major issues. That sounds like a too good to be true price for that car with a CPO warranty, so I'd get it independently checked just to be triply sure, but it sounds like a winner.

You replacing your old 7gen? Or adding to the family with this one?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just checked Autocheck. Car checks out with a score of 94 with an average score for similar vehicles being 91-92. That was pretty impressive. I can't wait for the test drive and see it for myself.

I just checked several vehicles that are priced in low to mid 13000s on cars.com. I was pleasantly surprised to see that some of them have clean Autocheck reports. The only reason I'm not buying them is because they don't have a navigation. I mean the difference is more than a staggering 3000 dollars. And I'm sure those guys with low to mid 13000s would allow some bargaining as well - may be a couple of hundreds. So, I think the prices are actually coming down and I have a feeling that I should get this deal for anywhere between 14,500 and 15,000. If this guy doesn't negotiate properly, then I'll buy one of those low to mid 13000s and call up Martin for the 2006/2007 Navigation which should cost me less than 2000$. As simple as that. The only down thing is those cars aren't CPO.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
thats a REALLY good deal compared to mine. i paid 16.8k out the door for my 07 LX 4cyl sedan with 18k miles... hopefully yours drives well too, good find!
Got my new 05 LX I4 Sedan for 19 out the door. Of course, it helps that my dad bought my little brother an 05 CR-V at the same time.....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Neither are infallible, but I prefer Autocheck because they DO report if the car had reported frame damage. Though, when I was car shopping last year, and again this year for my mother in law, I didn't find anyone get defensive about their salvage titles/damages. Most people told me upfront when I told them I'd run the histories.

Though, one that messed with me was a guy that told me all about his car's salvage/rebuild history, and that's why it was cheap, but NOTHING showed on either CF or AC. He said he knew it wasn't there, he didn't know why, they were full-on title status changes. So -- just gotta beware.

If it's Honda Certified, then they should also be certifying that there is no major issues. That sounds like a too good to be true price for that car with a CPO warranty, so I'd get it independently checked just to be triply sure, but it sounds like a winner.

You replacing your old 7gen? Or adding to the family with this one?
Yes, even I thought the price was reasonable/very good initially. But after going through the prices on cars.com, I think it is not as reasonable as it appears. CPO is the only +ve point in the whole deal. I certainly began to feel that the price is kind of a little high once I checked the Autocheck records of many low priced cars and found that they too have very clean records.

I would have never bought another car if my present car had navigation. I couldn't keep it either because we don't have any parking space. I just didn't feel like paying nearly 2000 dollars to Martin for navigation for a car that is may be 8,500$ (nearly 25% of the car value). I must admit, I couldn't help but calculate. So, I'm selling it to get a car with navigation. If I like the car tomorrow, I'll give them some money and ask them to wait until I sell off this car. I might trade it in if they offer me a good deal. IDK. This is the first time my car is going to be bought by somebody who is not my friend. I'm just too emotional when it comes to cars. I get attached to them very easily. But life is too rough in USA bro to be so sentimental. I guess I'm boring everybody to death with my foolish talk. Let me stop it here. For now :).

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
Maybe the market for Accords in NY is softer than here. My mother in law was in need of a car a couple of months ago, and all the Accords I saw in the 13k range were poorly maintained, had very high mileage, or were salvage/frame damaged cars. If I wanted an 07 with low mileage and navi around here, I'd easily be paying 18k+. So, 15k's a deal, and 13k might be stolen ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What a terrible experience I had yesterday! Absolutely terrible dealer - Paragon Honda.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
You can't say something like that and not shed more light, man :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts