Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new the forum but joined up in hopes of getting some advice.

I have a 2000 Accord (V6, 4-Dr). My speedometer has started to jump and skip around. Sometimes it will operate smoothly up to about 30 MPH then sporadically jump to a speed somewhere in the general ballpark of how fast I am going (based on other cars as well as an iPhone app that tells speeds). Other times it will jump from the get go and even in Park, registers my speed at ~11 MPH.

I have already replaced the VSS to no avail. I don't think there is anything I am missing, and after talking to a honda mechanic, I was told that after replacing the VSS, the culprit is most likely the Cluster itself.

The mechanic told me to look online to find a used cluster, but I haven't a clue where to start. I have seen some Used OEM parts dealers online that have "inventory" listed from yards around the country, but I am hesitant to throw $100-$300 at these 'nameless' places. And I want to try and stay away from EBAY if at all possible.

Can anyone point in a direction of which they have had good luck for used parts? I have tried my local craigslist and come up empty. I check back every few days, but it seems that either tons of people are having the same problems and eating them up, or no one is, and I can't find one because no one is really selling them...

Help please?!? Thanks in advance! :notworthy

· Registered
1,635 Posts
Dont have any advice on locating a used cluster, but you will need to be sure the cluster you get is for a 2000 to 2002 automatic model. The earlier 6th gens used a different temperature gage which will not work correctly with the later models. You also need an automatic transmission style cluster vs a 5 speed cluster to match your old one.
Any U-pull type yards in your area?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's good to know about the 00-02 models. I didn't know the earlier ones used a different gauge. But I did know about the Auto VS. Manual version of the clusters.

There are a couple U-Pull yards around me, but I am coming up empty on those as well. Does anyone know if I could still get a new cluster from Honda? I know that that option would be the more expensive route, but perhaps be easier to get and I would know it would work properly...

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. After calling all over the place to find a used one, I ended up calling a local Honda dealer and they were able to order me a brand new one, directly from Honda. It turns out that they aren't much more exspensive to get them new, than you play around with used ones.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will ask them if they can do it for me when it comes in. If they won't, then I will just document the mileage at which I changed it out, then if I ever sell the car, I will make sure that the new buyer understand what I did.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the used ones I was getting quotes for was around $250, before shipping (because there weren't any local). The new one after tax with free shipping was $342. So I decided to spend the little bit of extra money in order to have a brand new part. That way if there is a problem with this one, I have a place I can all and get an exchange or refund if necessary.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So as it turns out, which I slightly expected, Honda pushed back the back order date from July 10 to August 22.

So my new question is this. Does any one know if a speedo cluster for an Acura model would work properly with my Accord?

· Registered
3 Posts
I know a guy here in Houston that sells them. I bought one off of him when I went from an automatic to manual. I have had no problems with it and it's been well over 8 months. If you still need his info just send me a MSG and I will get it to UOU

-Hollywoodham

· 98 Accord Sedan 2.3 5-spd
35 Posts
Have you found a cluster yet? I have a salvage yard in my town that has an automatic accord that I can look into for you if needed. Just send me a PM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.