Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 V6, either the serpentine belt or the auto tension/idler pulley is squealing like mad. This only happens on cold damp days. Used to quiet down once engine is warm, but now just squeals pretty much all the time. The auto tensioner indicator mark is a little bit to the right of the optimal mark. And it does not move or barely moves at all when idling. I put a long metal rod up to both the auto tensioner pulley and the idler pulley, there is some vibration sound but nothing unusual. NO cracks on the belt, changed at 98k miles, now at 165k miles.

Am I looking at a new serpentine belt?

thanks.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
t-rd: I write this surprised for two reasons:

1) I am in Riviera Beach, Florida on vacation with my Taiwanese friends (they now live in Seattle) that grew up with me in Chicago- they were bashing China and I just mentioned "this guy on the forum..."

2) Just remove the serpentine belt with the free loaner tool and start the car. Run it for just a minute. See if that tells you anything. Or what if you just bought a belt (returnable) and have it ready.

65,000+ miles (and ___ years) on a belt is a good run.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
My TB will squeal a little on cold days (beginning of this week was sub-zero) but once she finishes her high idle / started warming up it goes away completely. So if by what you're thinking, t-rd, I may be due for a new TB soon? It's the orig belt w/ only 55k miles

·
Super Moderator
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha, my bashing of China roots back to many life experiences in the past. And I'm not even going into the fake products they make and poisoning dog food or baby powder crap. I digress....

I don't see how I can identify a possible auto tensioner / idler pulley problem by removing the belt and running the car. Because when I do that, those 2 pulleys wouldn't be moving at all.

So with that said, I'm possibly just getting a Gates belt + auto tensioner combo.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Yeah, you are right. Too much sun makes me not thinking right. Wondering with the belt off if you could see if the pulley has any play? Or, just put on the new belt and see if the noise is gone (return the tensioner?)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are you sure it's not the o-ring of the PS pump? I also have an 07 v6 and I did the switch recently, at 78k miles. With that said, I did replace 5k miles earlier the stealership's 1 year old belt with gatorback because it was squealing.

Edit: I've read your post again - guess it's not the o ring.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,684 Posts
A new belt will probably solve it, but cleaning it would probably work too. I used throttlebody cleaner on my truck belt, and all the pulleys (especially the pulleys), and it stopped squealing. If it gets dirty under your hood, the dust, plus moisture on damp days will make things a little more slippery. I had put a new belt on the truck, and the squeal came back in two days. The cleaning virtually eliminated it. I think it has a pulley alignment problem.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
@ Richard: I r jelly :( But, on a side note - I fly down to Memphis tomorrow until Friday for work so - I'll get my share of 60F and sun as well! Might not be FLA sun, but hey, it's the south with beer, country music and the ladies so who's complaining? :D

·
Super Moderator
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just went to spray water on the rib side of the serpentine belt, and the noise goes away. That means I have a pulley alignment problem. I visually looked at all the pulleys and all is good except for a slight wobble on the crank pulley... yeah, big shocker. I took a video of it, but it's not very clear. My local Honda dealer did the last timing belt job at 98k miles so what the hell.

No it's not the PS pump, PS pulley, alternator pulley, or A/C compressor pulley. While the car is off, I tried to move both the auto tensioner and idler pulleys with my hand and they don't budge. My guess is I need re-tighten the crank pulley and I don't have the damn tool to hold the crank pulley.

·
Banned
47 Posts
My TB will squeal a little on cold days (beginning of this week was sub-zero) but once she finishes her high idle / started warming up it goes away completely. So if by what you're thinking, t-rd, I may be due for a new TB soon? It's the orig belt w/ only 55k miles
Yeah I got the same TB squeal at the top of the morning as you. With all performance comes high heat and I might be looking at another PS belt TSB re-do as I think I hear the moan and groan too mixed in with the TB chatter. It's like our cars are on a jabber-thon marathon in the first few minutes but then it's busine$$ as usual as in get me where I want to go biotch- well that's how I treat her in aesthetics only; engine-wise she get gets babied with oil changes, filter changes and fuel! All that she wants, is another changey of oil and paper.

·
Super Moderator
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty sure at this point it is either the auto tensioner pulley or the idler pulley because the sound is near the top. It's just screeching all the time now, car sounds like a 50 year old Ford truck. The crank pulley wobble I mentioned yesterday really isn't all that obvious, I think it's the way it should be. And I have never heard of a TB screeching problem, so it's not that. The screeching is obviously coming from the drive belt area.

I've ordered a auto tensioner + belt combo from RockAuto for $69 total.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts