Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a solid write up using the OEM Wiring Harness

trying to get it done but at an impasse on 3 Wires

1 Pink
1 White
1 Brown wire from the Green Connector behind the Passenger Air Bag

if anyone has the Electronic Diagram for this connector, it would be tremendously appreciated

Top of Passenger Side Air Bag Cover off, the Green Connector

close up: 6 across and 4 down

couple of the pics i hope to include in the Install if i can get it successfully installed

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ordered a Navi Shop Manual...hopefully it'll help

·
Susie is ...rolling.
73 Posts
There is a Guy on Ebay that sell the Harness you could probably ask him I think his name is AcuraHondaExpert or something like that

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks but thats what i've been working off of but hopefully the Shop manual will go more in depth

that link is great since the PDF is for the Navi section instead of being page 6922 in the Full Manual

appreciate it

There is a Guy on Ebay that sell the Harness you could probably ask him I think his name is AcuraHondaExpert or something like that
yeah i read about him when Searching through old threads but when i searched for him on eBay, all i saw were the full Kit for $1,000+ and not just a harness

will message and see if he'd be willing to sell separate

thanks

to those wondering about Install w/pics, will post that up ASAP...hoping for a successful install

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
The guy on eBay does sell harnesses separately if you message him. He makes a custom-made wiring harness that makes the process plug-and-play using the existing 20-pin audio harness. You only need to splice in three wires into the ECM module for VSS, CAN-H, and CAN-L using his harness. I have no idea why you are messing around with a harness behind the passenger airbag. Replacing the entire factory wiring harness is insane. You don't know if you are missing any other harnesses that might be required.

·
Susie is ...rolling.
73 Posts
I think he sells them for about 300-350 range depending if you already have Dualzone A/C or not. I was saying you could also ask him he seems to be very knowledgable about Accords and Acuras.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the guy gave me his number and will touch base with him tomorrow

really wanna try the OEM Harness route but will see

i found out a way to get Power to the Unit so if you had:

OEM Navi Unit
OEM Wiring, i will show you how to get power to it and get it turned on so you can at least see that the Unit works, colors are there, touch pad works, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AcuraHondaExpert, super kool and helpful dude...spoke with him for like a good hour and helped out a lot and basically even would loan me his display for a fee but gonna look locally

so close to being done and like he said, gotta be patient and do it right

k for the PMs i've gotten about doing OEM Navi w/OEM Harness, this is a way to make sure you have a good Navi Unit. i am missing the Final Step of mine being the Upper Center Display thus i can't fully install it yet

everything else:

Navi Unit
DVD Rom w/CD
XM Radio
OEM Harness

couple tools:
2 Fuse Holders if you will not buy these STOP, you could seriously damage your Navi Unit by shortening it so spend the $5-6 bucks and buy 2 fuse holders

exacto Knife

wire

i've figured this out on my own and took a risk but i spent days reading over the Navi Manual and got this Unit on eventually so hopefully, it'll save you a lotta time and effort to make sure your Navi Unit is good

5 out of 10 on skill level because most of the hard parts i tried to test/do on my own

1. The 2 Fuse Holders that will hold 1 10 Fuse & 1 7.5 Fuse. Again, if you will not go out on buy these, you assume a greater risk of possibly shortening your unit in case something goes wrong. These can be hooked up directly to your Positive Battery terminal as all your doing is testing the Unit

2. Navi Manual Page showing the main connector on the back of the Navi headunit (scroll up to see in pic very top, Blue Connector on backside of Navi Unit)

3. The 2 Wires: White/Red Stripe & Yellow/Red Stripe are the 2 power wires you want to splice into. DO NOT CUT them, just take an exacto knife and slowly peel the wire cover (you'll get better w/time but try not to cut the wires)

4. The other 2 Wires are on the DVD Rom Unit same colors, WHT/RED & YLW/RED. They are also Power wires and same thing as above, splice into them rather than cutting

5. SCS Connector on DVD-ROM wiring that you'll be sticking a piece of wire or paper clip, i used wire but paper clip may be safer

6. Spliced Wiring:

7. Then put them both together WHT/RED + WHT/RED and YLW/RED + YLW/RED. 2 WHT/RED are 10A Fuse and 2 YLW/RED are 7.5A Fuse. Connect the 2 wires to Positive Battery and this screen should pop up after loading screen.

All colors RGB, Touch surface, seem normal basically missing the the Sub Display to unlock Audio

there is 1 White Connector that is missing and i'll take a pic of it

so hopefully this will help someone who wants to make sure there OEM Navi Unit + OEM Harness + OEM DVD Rom + (optional XM Radio and Voice/Mic Steering Wheel Buttons) should all be working

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
props for doing it, but youre making so much more work for yourself with so many more opportunities to fry things. A good friend of mine did the swap on his 06 EX-L back in 07, he bought the nav, upper display and dvd computer plus the interior harness. Spent a weekend, stripped his entire interior, changed the harness from the standard EX-L to the EX-L Navi, closed up and only had to run 1 wire, i believe from the ecu to the nav for fuel economy.

If youre buying all the parts to do the install, why not get the 7.5 gen updated computer and display? ive used the 7th gen navi and its painfully slow compared to my 7.5

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
As ethlar said, you are creating way too much work to do this conversion. The custom made harness for $300 is so worth it. You could have the job done in a day with no risk of electrical failure. No one is going to do the conversion by replacing the entire factory harness. You have opened yourself up to an electrical nightmare with every part of the car. It is not worth it. You should have also bought 2006-2007 OEM components to do the conversion. The 2003-2005 parts use the now discontinued Orange DVD. Once the 2014 Orange DVD sells out, you won't be able to get it, and there are no more map updates. 2014 is the final year for the Orange DVD. The 2006 and later parts use the White DVD, also shared with the 8th gen Accord, so you can expect further map updates.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FINALLY got an upper Display, ready to enter the code and finish the install and...i get this:

i couldn't help but first, rage but then laugh because it instantly reminded me of Predator (the original or best one)

Navi Manual says: Randomly displayed characters has to do w/clock or solid YELLOW wire. connected it to the only other .4V wire being BLUE/ORANGE Stripe

every single LED came on so unit may be good but not gonna mess with it and rather just get another one

*sigh* hopefully next one won't be Predator II

props for doing it, but youre making so much more work for yourself with so many more opportunities to fry things.
thanks, at this point i just wanna test this thing out and if the Navi isn't that great, always got Waze on the phone

i've heard aftermarket ones aren't great so if i do upgrade it after i get this one running, i would update the OEM one for sure

As ethlar said, you are creating way too much work to do this conversion. The custom made harness for $300 is so worth it. You could have the job done in a day with no risk of electrical failure. No one is going to do the conversion by replacing the entire factory harness. You have opened yourself up to an electrical nightmare with every part of the car. It is not worth it. You should have also bought 2006-2007 OEM components to do the conversion. The 2003-2005 parts use the now discontinued Orange DVD. Once the 2014 Orange DVD sells out, you won't be able to get it, and there are no more map updates. 2014 is the final year for the Orange DVD. The 2006 and later parts use the White DVD, also shared with the 8th gen Accord, so you can expect further map updates.

great info, thanks

well i wanna finish what i started and i did ask myself why not just buy the harness but when even after speaking w/AcuraHondaExpert, they guy who pretty much makes the best plug n ply harness, we discussed it and i'd wanted to get it done w/his help if needed

thanks again for the great advice on pros/cons w/Orange v. White DVD Units

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no idea why you are messing around with a harness behind the passenger airbag
that light green Junction 555 Connector is where most of the Navi power wires are. i think the hardest part may be wiring the other side but willing to try

BTW, this diagram is from the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, def. not in Navi or V6 Supplement

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How about you send a private message to the guy that posted the original pics?
this is best method. i been super busy w/work & life...i am just going to upload the pictures and hopefully you can decipher previous post to pic

upping them in the order i took them and hope that helps

good luck! Navi system is still one of the best mod/upgrade

1 - 17 of 17 Posts