Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 HONDA ACCORD EX-L V6
50k MILES, 30% OIL LIFE. 40'DEGREES, 5AM.
GOT RIGHT ON THE HIGHWAY AT 80-90MPH WHEN THE LIGHT CAME ON. AND YES I WAS RUNNING LATE AND WAS IN A HURRY..:D

OKAY SO THIS MORNING MY MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT CAME ON AND STAY ON. READ THE MANUAL, GAS CAP IS ON AND TIGHT. GET THAT OUT OF THE WAY.

SO AFTER WORK, I TOOK MY CAR TO AUTOZONE AND HAD THEM HOOK UP THE CAR AND THE CODES CAME OUT, P3497 AND P3400. SO ANY ONE EXPERIENCE OR HAD EXPERIENCE SIMILAR PROBLEM? I AM PLANNING TO TAKE MY CAR TO THE DEALERSHIP TO HAVE IT CHECK SOON WHEN I CAN GET OUT OF WORK. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A IDEA WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE, YOU KNOW HOW DEALERSHIP ARE, THEY WILL RAPE YOUR WALLET AND BURY YOU.:thumbsdow SO IT WOULD HELP GREATLY IF YOU GUYS CAN GET ME A IDEA... THANKS IN ADVANCE.:thmsup:

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
What is MIL? The gas cap warning light is self-explanatory. Is it check engine light?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is what they called it on the car manual, yes it should be the engine check light. if you go to your manual the MIL deals with emission.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more, in case you don't have enough reading...

http://orlandoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149615

Did you punch it before the oil warmed up?
yeah, i will wait for an oil change before i mess with it then. usually i let it idle and warm up(about 5mins), but today i only idle for about 3mins before i took off from my place bc i was running a little late.. so would if it is dirty oil, would it go away after i get a oil change or i have to reset it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
yeah, i will wait for an oil change before i mess with it then. usually i let it idle and warm up(about 5mins), but today i only idle for about 3mins before i took off from my place bc i was running a little late.. so would if it is dirty oil, would it go away after i get a oil change or i have to reset it?

First off, you earn 1 demerit for 80-90 (cough, cough), and another for doing that without letting the oil warm up a little. Lol.

If it is still in warranty, might be best to let the dealer have a look. Resetting the code could give them a reason to not honor the warranty.

Otherwise, I'd be tempted to change the oil and reset the code.

It's your car tho...

FWIW: My view is it's more important to go easy on things until the engine/transmission warm up a little. As opposed to letting it idle for minutes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update: problem solved. it was a oil change, it was low on oil. and it had 30% of oil life... so i will know next time... lol

·
Accord Power
480 Posts
I would still take it to dealer and check everything out. If you still had life in the oil but not enough than there might be a leak.

·
Cell Phone Doc
963 Posts
2008 HONDA ACCORD EX-L V6
50k MILES, 30% OIL LIFE. 40'DEGREES, 5AM.
GOT RIGHT ON THE HIGHWAY AT 80-90MPH WHEN THE LIGHT CAME ON. AND YES I WAS RUNNING LATE AND WAS IN A HURRY..:D

OKAY SO THIS MORNING MY MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT CAME ON AND STAY ON. READ THE MANUAL, GAS CAP IS ON AND TIGHT. GET THAT OUT OF THE WAY.

SO AFTER WORK, I TOOK MY CAR TO AUTOZONE AND HAD THEM HOOK UP THE CAR AND THE CODES CAME OUT, P3497 AND P3400. SO ANY ONE EXPERIENCE OR HAD EXPERIENCE SIMILAR PROBLEM? I AM PLANNING TO TAKE MY CAR TO THE DEALERSHIP TO HAVE IT CHECK SOON WHEN I CAN GET OUT OF WORK. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A IDEA WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE, YOU KNOW HOW DEALERSHIP ARE, THEY WILL RAPE YOUR WALLET AND BURY YOU.:thumbsdow SO IT WOULD HELP GREATLY IF YOU GUYS CAN GET ME A IDEA... THANKS IN ADVANCE.:thmsup:

I don't understand, can't Autozone tell you what those two codes are??? What the hell good it taking a car there if they can't cross reference the numbers and tell you what they mean???? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
I don't understand, can't Autozone tell you what those two codes are??? What the hell good it taking a car there if they can't cross reference the numbers and tell you what they mean???? :dunno:
Yes autozone can tell what they are, but not always how to fix them. Maybe the OP couldn't find the space to type in what they meant on the first post because everything was in CAPS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I guess I need to do an oil change. I recently just bought a bluetooth OBDII reader and thought even though I didn't have any codes I would plug it in and see what happens. Low and behold I get the same 2 codes. P3497 and P3400. My car is an 08 V6. Oil life on the dash is at 50% and the level is good. Weird thing is I don't have a check engine life and would never know about this unless I randomly read the codes. Any ideas as to why I wouldn't get a check engine light? Hopefully I'll get the oil change done in the next couple of days.
Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well I guess I need to do an oil change. I recently just bought a bluetooth OBDII reader and thought even though I didn't have any codes I would plug it in and see what happens. Low and behold I get the same 2 codes. P3497 and P3400. My car is an 08 V6. Oil life on the dash is at 50% and the level is good. Weird thing is I don't have a check engine life and would never know about this unless I randomly read the codes. Any ideas as to why I wouldn't get a check engine light? Hopefully I'll get the oil change done in the next couple of days.
Thanks
For certain problems, if there is a problem detected, the computer stores a pending code. If the same problem is detected on two consecutive drive cycles, then the check engine light comes on. Yours may have been a pending code. Many OBD-II reader/scanner will say if it is a pending code. Your Bluetooth device may not have that capability. Just curious which device do you have? I am thinking of adding the unit available for my Garmin GPS. I know there are other bluetooth devices out there for Android and other car accessories.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought an ELM 327 bluetooth OBDII adaptor from ebay. It came with software and I can get it connected to my laptop through bluetooth. I'm trying to get it connected to my iphone now so I won't have to lug the laptop around. I guess I'll clear those codes and see if they come back. thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts