Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of replacing my serpentine belt, serpentine belt tensioner, and power steering belts, and for good measure, replace the idler pulley as well. However, after searching this forum, 6GA, and a whole slew of YouTube videos, I've not been able to find anything truly relevant. Most of what I find is how to loosen the serpentine belt but not how to remove the tensioner. I know what to do in regards to removing the tensioner, but my question is more of, "How do I get to it?". Some of the things I've read say that there are 3x 10mm bolts, and others say there's 2x 10mm bolts and 1x 8mm bolt through the middle. Which is it so I know what to expect when I get there?

The other one I'm curious to know about is how to replace the power steering belt. I imagine I have to remove the motor mount? Same as with the tensioner, no videos or anything on how to actually do it.

Other minor things I'll be replacing are hood struts and the power steering O-Rings. I also intend on washing off as much grease and grime as possible that's built up in the engine compartment :).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I replaced the tension on the 01 accord I had. I recall two 10mm bolts and 8mm center bolts.

I found it was the best approach was to jack up the passenger side, take the tire off and work from below. The uni-body structure is very close to the 8mm bolt, to it was a pain...at least in the cold for me.

You may need to use the 10mm 1/4" socket due to not much room for a 3/8 socket body and the tensioner body.

Never did the ps belt.

I did replace the top O-ring on my 98 power steering as it had a slight weep. Pretty straight forward for that one.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on the tensioner! Hopefully I can manage to replace it without much hassle.

I'll keep looking around to find a way to replace the PS belt. And those o-rings, I'm fairly confident the top one is still in decent shape from when I replaced it last time, but the bottom was never replaced. I'm thinking of replacing both now just for added measure. And, the reason why is because there is a lot of fluid leaking from my passenger side and I know how common it is for the PS system to leak. For all I know though, the PS pump may have bad seals / gaskets.

·
Registered
448 Posts
RE: Power steering pump leak, PS belt replacement, etc:

RE: Power steering pump leak, PS belt replacement, etc:

I just fixed my power steering pump leak a few days ago and replaced my 60,000 mile ps belt along the way. I have a '98 4 cylinder, however, so I imagine mine was much easier to work with than your V6, which appears to be very cramped. I did not have to take off my engine mount, but I'm just not familiar with your engine orientation. On mine it was fairly easy to remove and dismantle my pump and replace the belt.

Re the leak, are you sure you don't have a leak from the back cover of the pump (where the four bolts are) like I did? My fluid was constantly dripping down the pump and onto the alternator and down the engine block. The leak was from the circumference of this "back" cover, I discovered after many wipe-downs. I had already replaced the high pressure hose o-ring last year but that was never the problem. I dismantled the pump and replaced three internal pump seals and no more leaks the past few days. The new belt made the power steering stronger and quieter, too, it seemed.

Sorry, we have different cars and can't help further. But you ought to look into your ordering and replacing some internal seals for the back side of the pump (opposing pulley side). They are inexpensive. The parts, total of $7+ $500 shipping :), you may need for your V6 are:

1. 91349-P2A-003 power steering pump "back cover seal" (main culprit of leak)
2. 91347-PAA-A01 (16.7X1.8mm o-ring)
3. 91348-P2A-003 (51X2.4 o-ring)

My back cover seal, #1, was flattened and hard--no wonder the pump was leaking from there; #2 was firm, too; #3 was getting firmer and due for replacement.

I just searched auto parts sites ("engine/ps pump bracket") for a "2000 V6" based on what you provided so double check if you decide to order.

I plan to post a new thread sometime next with several pictures of my repair job on the power steering pump leak...but here is just one photo of the back cover seal that was kuputz:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's an excellent video on YouTube showing how to replace all the gaskets and seals for the J30 engine, and I might give that a go if I still have issues later. And yea, it's something like $20 for all the seals.

And this is the best picture I could find of the power steering belt. It's hard to tell, but you can see that the motor mount is sitting on the inside of the power steering belt. So, that's kind of why I'm curious to know if the motor mount has to come off or not. I imagine it does, but I'm not sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
If the belt wraps around the motor mount, then yes the motor mount will have to come out first.

I still chuckle when I think about the time years ago when I mentioned to a very knowledgeable "car-guy" buddy that I have to remove one motor mount to change the timing belt on my Integra, he said "just cut the old belt", then turned beet red when I pointed out to him "Uh, genies, how do I put the new belt back on? Cut it first too?". :lmao:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had posted the same youtube link cited above on one of my earlier threads even though it was for a V6. It was definitely my source of inspiration in doing my three internal seals! He bought the seal kit but only used and replaced three seals I bought separately. There is another great video out there that shows you how to do all the seals but it seemed like a lot of work and I'm not sure it's needed unless you got leaking from the pulley side of the pump. Great engine photo. Your engine is similar to my daughter's 2003 V6. I just looked in her manual and as Aviography said, the engine mount has to be pulled. :(. My daughter's car is showing some signs of leaking so I will look forward to your progress posts.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the belt wraps around the motor mount, then yes the motor mount will have to come out first.

I still chuckle when I think about the time years ago when I mentioned to a very knowledgeable "car-guy" buddy that I have to remove one motor mount to change the timing belt on my Integra, he said "just cut the old belt", then turned beet red when I pointed out to him "Uh, genies, how do I put the new belt back on? Cut it first too?". :lmao:
Yea, I was hoping to avoid that. Now I'm hoping that with as many miles as my car has, 259k, that my motor mount is still in decent shape. It *may* have been changed the last time the timing belt was done, but I don't remember.

I had posted the same youtube link cited above on one of my earlier threads even though it was for a V6. It was definitely my source of inspiration in doing my three internal seals! He bought the seal kit but only used and replaced three seals I bought separately. There is another great video out there that shows you how to do all the seals but it seemed like a lot of work and I'm not sure it's needed unless you got leaking from the pulley side of the pump. Great engine photo. Your engine is similar to my daughter's 2003 V6. I just looked in her manual and as Aviography said, the engine mount has to be pulled. :(. My daughter's car is showing some signs of leaking so I will look forward to your progress posts.
The v6 engine in the 7th gen Accord is essentially the same engine as the 6th gen. There are just performance optimizations between the J30A4 (7th gen v6) and the J30A1 (6th gen v6). Otherwise, they're the same engine. So if you did this already to your daughter's 7th gen v6, then you've already done this :tongue:.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oops. Sorry about the confusion...

A few days ago I just completed the power steering pump re-seal on my '98 4 cyl with 172,000 miles. My daughter's '03 V6 with 130,000 miles is showing signs of leaking similar to mine. A couple of years ago I replaced the high pressure o-ring on her V6 that was causing more whining than my ex-wife in divorce court. It's been quiet ever since, the pump whining, not my ex-wife. Now after reading your posts, I may be interested in pulling her pump and doing the seals as I did on my car. I am not looking forward to doing the work in such a cramped area of the V6, however! It will be so interesting how you approach it as I'll be probably be inspired by your work. And of course I'm interested on how you deal with your serpentine belt and tensioner issue, too! Thanks for posting.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh! Thanks for the clarification. I thought you had had done this to your daughters 7th Gen v6, but it seems that I had confused it and it was actually your 6th gen i4 that you've replaced all the seals for!

If impending life changes aren't occurring this weekend (wife is due any day now), I hope to tackle this project this weekend. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oops. Sorry about the confusion...

A few days ago I just completed the power steering pump re-seal on my '98 4 cyl with 172,000 miles. My daughter's '03 V6 with 130,000 miles is showing signs of leaking similar to mine. A couple of years ago I replaced the high pressure o-ring on her V6 that was causing more whining than my ex-wife in divorce court. It's been quiet ever since, the pump whining, not my ex-wife. Now after reading your posts, I may be interested in pulling her pump and doing the seals as I did on my car. I am not looking forward to doing the work in such a cramped area of the V6, however! It will be so interesting how you approach it as I'll be probably be inspired by your work. And of course I'm interested on how you deal with your serpentine belt and tensioner issue, too! Thanks for posting.
I've still been searching the interwebs on how to remove or loosen the PS pulley for my J30A1, and I've come across an Odyssey J35 and a 7th gen J30A4, and your daughter's 7th gen seems to have just one belt for everything! Someone even did a writeup for it here on DA a few years ago. Check it out! So, it looks like you'll be having a MUCH easier time than me on this! :banana:

As for me, all I have is additional confirmation that the one motor mount will have to come off. :(

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've still been searching the interwebs on how to remove or loosen the PS pulley for my J30A1, and I've come across an Odyssey J35 and a 7th gen J30A4, and your daughter's 7th gen seems to have just one belt for everything! Someone even did a writeup for it here on DA a few years ago. Check it out! So, it looks like you'll be having a MUCH easier time than me on this! :banana:

As for me, all I have is confirmation that the one motor mount will have to come off. :(
Most importantly: Best of luck on your new child!!!!!!! That is so exciting. I still recall the great feelings from a few decades ago. 'Hope everything goes well for you.

That is a great link re my daughter's '03 V6 ps pump. I rarely get to see my daughter and her car, but I will definitely have to take a better peek next time. I'm always working on her car but never paid attention to the power steering pump/belt orientation. I hope I have the confidence to tackle it. I'm still following your lead. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I wasn't able to do this the weekend before like I wanted to since baby related stuff came up. Now, that baby is here, I can't seem to get away from doing daddy type stuff. I'll be sure to update this thread as soon as I can though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update

Thanks for the udate, taking the time to write all the questions having everyone answer then sprinting out without the update.
Well, I wasn't able to do this the weekend before like I wanted to since baby related stuff came up. Now, that baby is here, I can't seem to get away from doing daddy type stuff. I'll be sure to update this thread as soon as I can though...

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Thanks for the udate, taking the time to write all the questions having everyone answer then sprinting out without the update.
Pretty snide first post, surely you know how to be polite when asking a question.

Got up the wrong side of the bed this morning?

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never ended up doing this. I still have the replacement PS pulley belt on a shelf in my garage. My PS pump still leaks and in the last month or so, has been leaking more and more profusely. So technically, I can still update this thread "as soon as I can" once I have an update to give! ;)

I'll have to do this sometime soon anyways because now it seems that I'll have to either rebuild my PS pump entirely (needs gaskets, grommets, etc.), or just get a new PS entirely.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I never ended up doing this. I still have the replacement PS pulley belt on a shelf in my garage. My PS pump still leaks and in the last month or so, has been leaking more and more profusely. So technically, I can still update this thread "as soon as I can" once I have an update to give! ;)

I'll have to do this sometime soon anyways because now it seems that I'll have to either rebuild my PS pump entirely (needs gaskets, grommets, etc.), or just get a new PS entirely.
Rebuilding the PS pump is pretty simple, watch some youboob videos on it. If you have to replace the high pressure line that's usually what gives people a hard time. Luckily mine was a breeze and didn't cause much headache.
I need to replace my tensioner still, too. From what Ive read the center 8mm bolt is a left handed thread the others are normal. I cant personally confirm this until I do it but keep it in mind and try not to break off the bolt, that would be counter productive. Good luck with yours :thmsup:

Edit: @CDsDontBurn How old is your kid now? Mine kids just turned 8(girl) and 2(boy). Hope all is going well.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rebuilding the PS pump is pretty simple, watch some youboob videos on it. If you have to replace the high pressure line that's usually what gives people a hard time. Luckily mine was a breeze and didn't cause much headache.
I need to replace my tensioner still, too. From what Ive read the center 8mm bolt is a left handed thread the others are normal. I cant personally confirm this until I do it but keep it in mind and try not to break off the bolt, that would be counter productive. Good luck with yours :thmsup:

Edit: @CDsDontBurn How old is your kid now? Mine kids just turned 8(girl) and 2(boy). Hope all is going well.
I'm sure rebuilding the pump is easy. I've seen the exploded picture of the pump and taking it apart based on that image alone seems pretty straight forward.

Early this year I ended up doing a ton of work that stemmed from simply replacing the tensioner pulley: New idler pulley, new serpentine belt, new plugs, new valve cover gaskets, new spark plug tube grommets, and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

The tensioner pulley is indeed two 10mm and 1 8mm bolts. I don't ever remember any of these three tensioner pulley bolts being reverse threaded, so that should help you there.

When I first made this thread my wife was "ready to pop" with my second child. He'll be turning 2yrs old here in February. My daughter is currently 5 and will be turning 6 in August.

BTW, I still have no idea how to loosen the PS pulley to remove the belt :|. So once I figure that part out, I can either replace the pump or rebuild it depending on what I have going on and / or the amount of time I have to work on the car.

Reactions: Spacemonkee23
1 - 19 of 19 Posts