Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Accord Sport with original rims and about 1yr old tires (235/40/19 Conti PureContact). This past fall/winter I've changed my brake pads and rotors and also did the usual tire rotation. For w few months I haven't driven on the highway and the street driving was fine, just the regular rough and sometimes bumpy. But not whenever I'm going on the hwy, I feel a different vibration on the steering not the same as out of balance. I redid my balancing, and check my alignment (Firestone) and rotate the tires back to the previous position. Still the same issues on the highway about 70-75mph. I'm suspecting the shocks(struts) but not sure about it. What boggles my mind, is that sometimes i feel pushed side to side, almost like the wind does when it's windy and I feel like I don't have full contact with the road. Once I'm off the freeway, everything goes back to normal, even when I do 65mph on the city streets. The car doesn't pull in either side when driving at high speed. I don't know how to check my shocks, and I don't time to go to the shop since i'm on the road working at this time( maybe in a month or so). I have 62K miles on it...all original, no upgrades. Any suggestions? How long do the stock shocks last? What should I check on the car when I'll take it to the shop? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or replies.

Alex

· 2010 2.4EX
1,199 Posts
I have a 2016 Accord Sport with original rims and about 1yr old tires (235/40/19 Conti PureContact). This past fall/winter I've changed my brake pads and rotors and also did the usual tire rotation. For w few months I haven't driven on the highway and the street driving was fine, just the regular rough and sometimes bumpy. But not whenever I'm going on the hwy, I feel a different vibration on the steering not the same as out of balance. I redid my balancing, and check my alignment (Firestone) and rotate the tires back to the previous position. Still the same issues on the highway about 70-75mph. I'm suspecting the shocks(struts) but not sure about it. What boggles my mind, is that sometimes i feel pushed side to side, almost like the wind does when it's windy and I feel like I don't have full contact with the road. Once I'm off the freeway, everything goes back to normal, even when I do 65mph on the city streets. The car doesn't pull in either side when driving at high speed. I don't know how to check my shocks, and I don't time to go to the shop since i'm on the road working at this time( maybe in a month or so). I have 62K miles on it...all original, no upgrades. Any suggestions? How long do the stock shocks last? What should I check on the car when I'll take it to the shop? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or replies.

Alex

What cold(early morning) tire pressure are you keeping?

· BRWNFLSH now
7,640 Posts
If your shocks are not leaking (wet) they are probably fine. I would more likely suspect a poor alignment job, or poor balancing job. Good luck

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What cold(early morning) tire pressure are you keeping?
I’m keeping the manufacture rating 32-33psi...

If your shocks are not leaking (wet) they are probably fine. I would more likely suspect a poor alignment job, or poor balancing job. Good luck
The alignment seems fine since there’s no pull at high speed whatsoever...and the balancing not so sure..I may have to go back to Discount Tires and have them “force balanced”...but I went there twice already.....and I’m not sure if they’re leaking or not....I may have to take a front tire down and check it... but what bothers me is the sway/jerk side to side, every once in awhile..feels like the car is floating when it happens...the steering wheel doesn’t move at all , just vibrates...🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other thing I forgot to mention...while I was checking the tires couple days ago..I’ve noticed that my driver side rim doesn’t have any balancing weights...is that normal? Can you a have a rim perfectly balanced??
Sounds like a tire issue..not a suspension issue... especially when it happens at a certain speed. That's usually the tell tale sign.
Thank you...will follow thru

· Registered
2,496 Posts
One other thing I forgot to mention...while I was checking the tires couple days ago..I’ve noticed that my driver side rim doesn’t have any balancing weights...is that normal? Can you a have a rim perfectly balanced??

Thank you...will follow thru
The balancing weight might have fallen off, check for glue residue or a cleaner looking spot. Rims come balanced out of the factory, it's the tires that are all over the place and out of round. Rims get bent out of round when the pothole is bad enough. It will still balance on a simple balancing machine, only force balance will tell the whole story. Low profile tires on oversize rims are a challenge to mount and balance correctly for too many tire shops, sooner or later people realize they are more trouble than they're worth.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I currently have the original rims on my 2016 Accord Sport and I'm still having a vibration in my car when I go 70-90MPH (turnpike). I had this issue for a while now, and I end up changing tires(Michelin M4M) and changed the stock strut assemblies with Monroe (front only). After chasing this vibration for a while ( numerous balancing, road force at discount tire), I end up replacing my CV axles at the dealership, including the ball joints( the boots were nicked somehow). Also, prior to that, I went to the dealership to do a check-up and at first, they told me that my left wheel had excessive road balance, aka bent. I end up buying a new rim from the dealership (ripoff) and still have this shimming / vibration thru my seat and steering wheel. The steering wheel does not shake at all, just vibrates. Also, this past wknd I changed the tires front to back and I noticed a change in vibration. Still there, but less. Could I have more than one rim bent? How good are the OEM rims, I don't do too much city drive, mostly on hwy( florida). I'm contemplating going back to the dealership and having them check my entire suspension system, again. Also, I'm thinking of downsizing from 19 to 18 , maybe 235/45/18 tires. not sure what to do. Am I going crazy with this issue or what? The strut and springs are brand new, the CV axles are OEM, the ball joints are OEM..brand new. Could I be that lucky to have more than one wheel bent? Is there such a thing as "slightly" bent rim that it won't show on balancer? I have 73K miles on the car, and the Michelins are less than 5000miles old. I'm looking for advice.

· 2010 2.4EX
1,199 Posts
I’m keeping the manufacture rating 32-33psi...
👍

You are riding on extremely low-profile tires there - 40 series - so a relatively firm, harsh ride is to be expected even with correct cold pressures. I prefer nothing lower than 65-60 series profile tires, but I can tolerate 50-series rubber as specified on the car in my name handle.

· Registered
2,496 Posts
I don't know how to check my shocks, and I don't time to go to the shop since i'm on the road working at this time( maybe in a month or so). I have 62K miles on it...all original, no upgrades. Any suggestions? How long do the stock shocks last?
Easy to check shock absorbers (dampers). Push down the front or the back of the car and release quickly. If the car goes up once and settles down, they're good. If the car keeps bouncing up and down, you need new shock absorbers.

There's no exact time or mileage to change them, potholes will eat them sooner than smooth pavement.

KYB brand is not bad. Avoid Monroe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.