Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I picked up a 2003 Accord Coupe 6cyl for my son. I am having issues with the radio turning on and draining the battery while the car is off. I am new to this site and couldn't find the search button or I would have done that first. Any help would be great.

Adam

·
HK Moderator
13,441 Posts
Welcome Adam,

Does the Accord's radio look like this?:

Or does it look like this?:

Or this (stereo underneath the head unit)?:

Tell us 1,2, or 3 and we will go from there....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like this. Stock radio. 6 disc cd changer.

Does the Accord's radio look like this?:

·
HK Moderator
13,441 Posts
Thank you, yes that is indeed the stock radio.

Are you saying the stock radio stays on even when the key is out of the ignition, or the radio stays on when the car is turned off and the key is still in the ignition?

·
Honda Buff
490 Posts
key is out of the ignition and it kills the battery overnight.
My best guess would be that a previous owner replaced the radio with something else (Option 2 or 3 as shown above), and tore that out before selling the car. Who knows what kind of wiring massacre was done behind the dash. I would recommend pulling the radio and inspecting the wiring harness for bad connections and/or shorts to ground. Good luck!

·
HK Moderator
13,441 Posts
^Agreed....unless I do not understand the OP here. You are saying that the radio "turns on" all by itself. Are you saying that sometime in the middle of the night, it just turns on? Or are you saying that it does not turn off?

Anyway, I've pulled that head unit out of the 7th gen so many times it takes me less than 12 minutes- so easy. All you need is a nylon pry bar, a Phillips screwdriver, and a 10mm socket with a 6" extension attached to a socket wrench.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is an example of what I am talking about. I walked by the car this morning bringing my trash out and the radio was on. Nobody was awake yet the radio was on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so here goes, I got a 2003 Accord Coupe v6 3.0 for my son. It had been sitting for a little bit but I got it running without any issues. Drove it home and parked it in my driveway. We started to go through it to make sure all was working. At first notice the passenger window wasn't working and the drivers side lock was not working. That was it. I replaced the Window motor and the door lock actuator. Both now working. All of a sudden the radio comes on by itself without the key in it. I have read and read and have done almost everything to figure this out. The radio is out and I had someone look at the board for any loose connections as some posts state. If I pull fuse 5 the radio looses power. So I do a test where I have my meter on the yellow/red wire on the blue 20p connector and there is power there. I pull fuse 32 and no power, so ok that should rule out a short somewhere. I pull the ignition switch and there is still power there. I replace the ignition switch and have the same issue. I may be missing something but I am at a loss. I don't want my son getting stranded at school with a dead battery. Other than this issue the car is great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should add there is an aftermarket car starter installed but that was done prior to me getting the car. I would love to take it out but there are a ton of wires for it and don't want to mess anything up.

·
Honda Buff
490 Posts
I should add there is an aftermarket car starter installed but that was done prior to me getting the car. I would love to take it out but there are a ton of wires for it and don't want to mess anything up.
Do you know there the main "brain box" of that remote starter is? If you don't want to deal with all of the individual wire taps, you could at least try just unplugging everything from that brain box. If that is the source of your problem (and not some faulty wiring connections), then hopefully that will stop it from happening any more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts