1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
35 Posts
2005+ Acura RL Calipers will work but you will need Acura RL Custom Caliper Brackets, 2006+ Nissan Maxima Rotors and thats about it

·
1,926 Posts
That ^ is your best bang for bunch BBK. Its a 4 piston brake caliper with a larger rotor, meaning it will look much nicer than the V6 brakes, and stop better too!!
Not.

Won't debate the looks, but most assuredly will not "stop better".

What limits stopping distance is wheel lockup. Wheel lockup is determined by the loss of adhesion of the tire to the pavement.

So if you want to stop better, get grippier tires.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
I will go so far as to say it will not stop as well as stock. The reason is that you will upset the brake balance of the car. When the front brakes ( or rear) develop more brake torque than the opposite end, the ABS kicks in under hard braking. This happens sooner than a properly balanced brake setup and the effect is increased stopping distances - the exact opposite of better braking.

Regardless of what you have read or heard, ABS does not decrease your stopping distance. Maximum braking occurs at the threshold of when the tires start to slip. Once ABS kicks in, the stopping distance will be much worse than braking right up the point of maximum tire grip. Going to a big brake kit (even if you do fronts and rears) is almost always going to result in a mismatch between front and rear brake torque. Car manufacturers go to great lengths to optimize the brake balance for every car they build. The chances of you bolting on different brake systems and getting an equally good balance are near zero.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so basically you are saying that any 05 plus caliper and any 05 maxma rotor will work?

so even the big brake kit from ksport that cost 3k plus wont even hold up as good as stock brake?

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
so even the big brake kit from ksport that cost 3k plus wont even hold up as good as stock brake?
Not sure what you mean by "hold up as good as stock", but changing brake parts out like this will certainly make the cars brakes less effective in terms of minimum stopping distance. The brake "bite" might go up which means you might think the brakes are better than stock because the brakes feel like they hit harder for less pedal pressure. But the actual distance required for you to get the car stopped in a full on panic stop will increase - perhaps a lot. Therefore, by doing this mod you will have made your car less safe.

If you decide to do it anyway because looks are more important than safety to you, then at least you know you have made that choice. There are plenty of people that make mods like these that don't even realize they are making their car less safe.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Not.

Won't debate the looks, but most assuredly will not "stop better".

What limits stopping distance is wheel lockup. Wheel lockup is determined by the loss of adhesion of the tire to the pavement.

So if you want to stop better, get grippier tires.
I will go so far as to say it will not stop as well as stock. The reason is that you will upset the brake balance of the car. When the front brakes ( or rear) develop more brake torque than the opposite end, the ABS kicks in under hard braking. This happens sooner than a properly balanced brake setup and the effect is increased stopping distances - the exact opposite of better braking.

Regardless of what you have read or heard, ABS does not decrease your stopping distance. Maximum braking occurs at the threshold of when the tires start to slip. Once ABS kicks in, the stopping distance will be much worse than braking right up the point of maximum tire grip. Going to a big brake kit (even if you do fronts and rears) is almost always going to result in a mismatch between front and rear brake torque. Car manufacturers go to great lengths to optimize the brake balance for every car they build. The chances of you bolting on different brake systems and getting an equally good balance are near zero.
I agree that it may increase stopping distance. As we all know upgrading tires decreases stopping distance. So my car with better, 3 season tires and rl brakes as opposed to your car with shitty all seasons and oem brakes..you see where I'm going with this. My car may stop shorter than your car so how much more unsafe is my car than yours?? This all theoretical as I don't know what tires you have on your car nor do I have rl brakes on my car.

Plenty of people here have rl brakes and aren't smashing into people from behind daily. It would be cool to have some real numbers. I've got all the parts for the rl upgrade and currently have oemish brakes so maybe I'll take some before and after numbers we can see just how bad it is.

And OP does some searching type in rl bbk and start reading. And if you want to go that route there is a used set in the classifieds section right now.

·
RacerRik
172 Posts
It would be awesome to get some data! My method for testing brakes is to get two milk jugs and find a large empty parking lot. Put the milk jugs about 12 ft apart in the middle of the lot. Get up to 50 MPH and hit the brakes hard as you go through the milk jugs and then use a 100 ft. tape measure to determine how far from the milk jugs the car travels before it stops. You should do it three times and average the distance for each configuration. Try to do this when the temperatures are about the same as temperature can significantly change the results. Stop as fast as you can without ABS kicking in to get your best braking results. You can also try a full ABS stop to see how much worse that is than a threshold braking stop.

I run Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on my Mazda6 and can stop from 50 MPH in about 75 ft. with this setup. I realize my car will stop shorter than probably 95% of the other cars on the road - so I am always trying to be aware of what is going on behind me in the event I have to make a panic stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey can you tell me where did you get the part from? i search all over the net and cant find the rl brake

·
Registered
745 Posts
hey can you tell me where did you get the part from? i search all over the net and cant find the rl brake
Well it's pretty apparent your searching skills are pretty inept.

http://www.carid.com/2005-acura-rl-brake-parts/a1-cardone-disc-brake-caliper-45296600.html?gclid=CPi6h_f348YCFchlfgodJDUJNg

Calipers. They look cheap they are not. Those prices are minus the core which you don't have because you don't have rl calipers. Tack $120 to each caliper.

Rotors. Search for 2005 Nissan 350z track model rotors 12.8 from rockauto or any other parts suppliers. You will have many choices from blanks to 2 piece project mu rotors. Also used are 06+ maxima rotors 12.6 you choose.

Pads. There are not a ton for the rl caliper. Ebc porterfield and oem are available.

Brackets. FatFourCustoms - 08-12 Honda Accord there's one of the two brackets that are made for this swap.

And if you really searched I wouldn't have had to waste the 5 minutes it took for me to do it for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts