Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone i got a 2.4 l accord sedan. Just came back from muffler shop, the guy said i need a new flex pipe and catytic converter. Im going to go with a walker catytic converter from amazon. But i need help choosing a flex pipe not sure which one to get.

Will i need this whole part? Doesnt come with both gaskets too . Only see one of them online for amazon

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Did you change your O2 sensors first?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Downstream first. If that doesn't work then you change the upstream. If that don't work then you change cat.

·
Registered
'06 silver EX sedan 2.4 5AT - full bolt-ons, Megan Racing STB, Type S FSB + RSB, UR braces
16 Posts
The only reason you should need the flex pipe is if the current one is rusted to your cat.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont have any rust on quarter panels or anything but i have rust on those parts. Which one is downstream sensor? Is that the one that goes into the cat? If so i replaced that one a couple years ago. I just never changed the one up more by the exhaust manifold

·
Registered
'06 silver EX sedan 2.4 5AT - full bolt-ons, Megan Racing STB, Type S FSB + RSB, UR braces
16 Posts
I suppose the other situation is if the upstream O2 sensor is rusted to the flex pipe.

Upstream is in the flex pipe, you can see in the attached picture which I took from my own exhaust work last year. The exhaust manifold and flex pipe are attached with bolts and springs, not quite sure how well yours might separate. I replaced my exhaust manifold and flex pipe with a DC Sports 4-2-1 header.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there any way of taking the car to a mechanic and them seeing if my upstream and downstream sensors are ok with a computer? I replaced the downstream sensor before because it gave a diff code but for that sensor

·
Registered
16 Posts
A mechanic may be able to determine through a voltage meter or similar if the O2 sensors are okay.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figured i try clearing code to see what comes back first before buying the same oxygen sensor or taking to another shop for 3rd opinion. So far i cleared the code and drove about 200+ miles without anything coming back will update looks so nice without darn CEL

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Figured i try clearing code to see what comes back first before buying the same oxygen sensor or taking to another shop for 3rd opinion. So far i cleared the code and drove about 200+ miles without anything coming back will update looks so nice without darn CEL
Pour a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the gas tank (redline or BG44) it will help clean the sensor contacts.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Is there any way of taking the car to a mechanic and them seeing if my upstream and downstream sensors are ok with a computer?
Yes but an O2 sensor is cheaper than taking it to a mechanic and it is very easy to replace.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pour a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the gas tank (redline or BG44) it will help clean the sensor contacts.
Help me get my accord to 500k hahaha is that what you used sometimes? CEL came back after 400+ miles driving. Might try the downstream o2 sensor first or that bg 44k

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Liqui Molly Jectron fuel injection cleaner if the BG44 is to expensive or any of the other fuel system cleaners will work. Your O2 sensor is failing, has failed, or the wire contacts are dirty. The cleaner may be a temp. fix or may not help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts