Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, went to my dealership due to engine making a whiny noise whenever I accelerated. I figured it was due to cold temperatures as it would usually go away after I've been driving for awhile. However, now I started to hear it even more often and a bit louder even with continuous drive.

Brought car to dealership and they say my power-steering fluid is leaking :confused: And that my pistons need to be replaced so they need to repair my engine

I'm a little under 140K is this something normal that should be happening at around this point mileage wise? Also is it just me, or is the road noise in this model kind of loud?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Errr....in no car is replacing the pistons normal. Did it run low on oil or something?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Errr....in no car is replacing the pistons normal. Did it run low on oil or something?
I'm not sure to be honest with you. Ever so often a little red sort of cup spilling out fluid icon would come up on the dash. I should have clarified actually, that's the main reason I brought it to the dealership, I checked the user manual and it said engine oil low. My oil life is 30% and am due for an oil change soon, but that's the first time I've ever seen that icon on the dash. Whenever I've needed servicing including oil change, the wrench icon would come on.

So I assumed this obviously had to be something different:dunno:

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I can only assume the dealership means your piston rings are bad and the bad rings are the reason your engine burns oil. The cost to repair will be high. If you elect to not repair, remember to check your oil level weekly and add oil as required.

·
port & polish everything
1,637 Posts
LOL so this was diagnosed in that order?
"So your power steering is leaking. Oh and by the way, your pistons also need to be replaced."

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
I'm not sure to be honest with you. Ever so often a little red sort of cup spilling out fluid icon would come up on the dash. I should have clarified actually, that's the main reason I brought it to the dealership, I checked the user manual and it said engine oil low. My oil life is 30% and am due for an oil change soon, but that's the first time I've ever seen that icon on the dash. Whenever I've needed servicing including oil change, the wrench icon would come on.

So I assumed this obviously had to be something different:dunno:
I thought it's universal on every brand that's the "check oil" light. The 08 and 09's (probably some of the 10s) were known to have oil consumption issues and also the check oil light often doesn't come on until the oil level is so low that damage has been done.

For the record, you're technically supposed to check the oil level regularly along with filling up with gas. As a practical matter though, probably 99% of Accords don't have consumption issues so no one really checks their oil that often. I only check it when I change it: 4.5L in, 4.5L out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can only assume the dealership means your piston rings are bad and the bad rings are the reason your engine burns oil. The cost to repair will be high. If you elect to not repair, remember to check your oil level weekly and add oil as required.
Under warranty, I purchased an extended :-D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought it's universal on every brand that's the "check oil" light. The 08 and 09's (probably some of the 10s) were known to have oil consumption issues and also the check oil light often doesn't come on until the oil level is so low that damage has been done.

For the record, you're technically supposed to check the oil level regularly along with filling up with gas. As a practical matter though, probably 99% of Accords don't have consumption issues so no one really checks their oil that often. I only check it when I change it: 4.5L in, 4.5L out.
I am not understanding this, is the oil in an oil change different from your engine oil?

Also....there is now a delay and they need a week to fix it :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did they tell you why there was a delay, I don't see how that would happen at a dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE***

I go to the dealership today to get something I left in the car. I inquire about why there is a delay, service guy tells me that from what he understands they are waiting for parts.

I then ask whether the problem is the Piston rings or the whole thing, and this isn't normal for a car to have this problem. He says it's the whole thing and yeah it isn't normal, which is why Honda Canada is covering the repair

:confused:

I do NOT have luck with this brand, I'm done after this. My first car was a '07 Civic purchased brand new, automatic transmission. Approx. 3 months the car stalls while exiting the highway, brought to a different dealership and they had the car for 3 days and no1 knew what was the matter. I then get told they needed to order a part for it.....mind boggling, a brand new car was missing a part which caused the problem, so they say. After that it was recall notice after recall notice, in which I brought to their attention.

Fast-Forward to this car now (purchased used by the way), another recall notice with the fan noise being loud due to a missing part. I bring it in to this current dealership and the service guy there is acting like I'm an idiot and it's normal even after printing off the recall notice.

"Oh, this is the US model, doesn't correspond to your car."

I bring it back in 2 weeks later and speak to someone else, it's a miracle, someone whom knows about the actual recall. Apologizes for the asshole I had to deal with and gets the problem fixed. Even before all this I had to get ALL brake pads replaced because they were squealing like a bus when I stopped or was coming to a stop. They admitted that this was their fault and did the work free of charge, after that my AC wasn't working, had to get that fixed....and my coolant topped up

Sorry for the rant but I'm really PISSED OFF here at all this

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yea, Charlie T, I agree. The company had to replace a part on your '07 Civic, and now this -- Honda's going to completely overhaul your 5-year-old engine with 10s of thousands of miles on it, and give you a one-year warranty on the work. Boy, Honda sure is a terrible company. And you had to top up your coolant! I sure hope you have better luck with your next -- what? Toyota, Ford?

·
08 Accord EX-L (I4)- 138K
23 Posts
Yea, Charlie T, I agree. The company had to replace a part on your '07 Civic, and now this -- Honda's going to completely overhaul your 5-year-old engine with 10s of thousands of miles on it, and give you a one-year warranty on the work. Boy, Honda sure is a terrible company. And you had to top up your coolant! I sure hope you have better luck with your next -- what? Toyota, Ford?
Damn Honda Motor Company and their goodwill…I really miss GM and their unwillingness to provide warranty coverage on justifiable claims. First-world problems.

·
joethefro
10 Posts
If there is anything wrong with your engine and that it needs to be serviced, you shouldn't have to pay any bit of money. There's a class action settlement right now for Honda V6 Accords, Odysseys, Pilots, and Crosstours 2008-2012.

I spoke with the law firm (Berk Law PLLC) today, as a matter of fact, and he told me that if anything is wrong with the engine to go ahead and bring it to the dealership and tell them about the settlement. There is a "warranty extension" being activated apparently until 2016, no matter the mileage of the car.

Here's the link: www.enginemisfiresettlement.com

You're welcome :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
"A little can pouring water light"...sigh, that engine is likely toast, and was a long time ago. This makes me want to scream, as that is one of those lights that EVERYONE THAT OWNS A CAR SHOULD KNOW ABOUT, that is the single most important light in the car...has been standard for like 60 years now, it is the "OIL PRESSURE LOW" light. The light comes on only when oil pressure drops to an unsafe level, if you ever see that light, you stop the car, take the keys out and have it towed home or to a trusted shop, as it means the engine is not getting sufficient oil. Once this happens, the main bearings, connecting rods, journals valve train, and cylinder bores do not get lubricated. Small amount of metal on metal contact destroys these bearings and scores the cylinder bores to the point where they no longer seal effectively or rotate smoothly.

Sorry to be so fervent here, it's just one of those things that I wonder how someone becomes an adult driver and doesn't learn. Oil light and coolant temperature are the 2 biggest things to keep an eye on, other than the road, when driving a car. Those are mechanical indicators of serious problems. The check engine light monitors ignition timing, catalyst efficiency, combustion efficiency. It can do a lot of things, but, the really important stuff have their own systems. This is why coolant temperature gets its own gauge and oil pressure gets its own light.

Sorry, I don't want to sound mean, I just feel like this is basic stuff that all motorists should have a handle on before they get behind the wheel. That being said, I have abstained from buying any of these Honda V6's that have VCM for this reason. I am sure the system has been proven, I just like to know that all of my cylinders are being lubricated (upper cylinder) by gas/air on the intake stroke. Makes me even more hesitant reading this.

Of course, to the OP, sorry, that's rough, I can't imagine how much money a new or even used J35Y runs, that's probably a $5-7k repair at a dealer :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts