Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
??

How does the dip hold up against car washes and power washers ? Did you spray over the lug nuts completely, if so, do you think the dip will flake or come off when removing the tire? Looks very clean!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
How does the dip hold up against car washes and power washers ? Did you spray over the lug nuts completely, if so, do you think the dip will flake or come off when removing the tire? Looks very clean!!
If you dont put on enough layers it will come of with pressure wash

·
Marcus
156 Posts
Dip has held up superfluously well. Put it on there May 2013, curbed two of the wheels during the summer, so I hit it with another coat on each wheel before leaving for school in August 2013. After then, haven't sprayed any more dip or anything on there - no flakes, no peeling and that's 6 months after putting on the last coat; 9 months after the main coats.

There will probably be some flaking and peeling when you remove the tire, so don't expect any pristine conditions when putting new tires on dipped wheels. I actually left the wheels on my car and bagged the brakes and then dipped the wheels, not a single problem and has been used against a power washer a few times - no problems here either. It's all in the prep, make sure your wheels are COMPLETELY clean and COMPLETELY dry and you're golden. Plenty of videos out there to help you, and some technique is involved, but not much at all. Just play around with plasti dip beforehand until you become used to using the product.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here are my gold plasti dipped rims in the recent snow we had :banana:

·
09 Accord Ex Silver I4
47 Posts
nice to know gold plasti dip works on an silver car i was thinking of using gold wheels but ive been told to only do that on blue

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, i really like the gold wheels on silver car look.

I might have gone a bit overboard with the plasti dip, i started out with 3 coats of white, then did 5 coats of gold, followed by 3 coats of glossifier. So total, i have about 11 coats of plasti dip on the rims. I basically used 2 cans of white, 4 cans of gold, and 2 cans of glossifier. I got the white/glossifier from local hardware store (Home Depot, Ace Hardware) and i got the gold from the plasti dip website. Total it probably cost me about $70.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you wanna dip your wheels any color AND glossy, you will need a can per wheel (for a nice coat over everything including the barrel of the rim) and then 1-2 cans of glossifier depending on how glossy you want them to get.

·
Marcus
156 Posts
If you wanna dip your wheels any color AND glossy, you will need a can per wheel (for a nice coat over everything including the barrel of the rim) and then 1-2 cans of glossifier depending on how glossy you want them to get.
^This. This is the best way, but requires the real work by taking off the wheels and scrubbing the whole thing down lol. But I'm 100% that the finish in worth every bit of effort, even though the barrel isn't too noticeable unless looking closely.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts