Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 honda accord lx sedan 4cyl.
ISSUE-----
whenever i have a person in my rear seats the car drops a bit at the rear. i have three kids @ about 90-100 lbs each, whenever they are in the car i feel it/hear itscrapping when i go over a bump. where i live i have to go through at least 4 bumps everyday. im planning to add a 12 sub in a ported box next month

i want to replace my coilovers or just the springs in the rear . im looking for STOCK ride height but with medium to heavy duty springs.
can someone suggest some good coil-overs or springs for me to buy
:nerd :dunno:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sounds like you could use new struts/ springs. I'm lowered quite a bit and I've had 2 adults in the front and two adults in the rear and i don't scrape any more than when I'm just in the car solo.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Bottom line is your accord should easily be able to accomadate 300lbs spread out evenly in the back seat. If your car scrapes on things I would say you most certainly need new struts in the rear. If you have been driving a long time with blown struts it might be wise to also purchase the springs as well. Also you don't have coilovers. You have springs and struts. I imagine you could get some good used springs but I would try to just replace the rear struts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ohhh....
my apologies. i had no idea i had struts in the rear.
i thought they were shocks.
what are some recommended struts to buy ??

·
Registered
745 Posts
ohhh....
Forstoxk replacements can't go wrong with the kyb excel-g. They aren't the cheapest but they are good. Might be able to get a Monroe or other brand a bit cheaper. Probably be in the $50-$100 range per piece. Good luck.

·
Banned
578 Posts
ohhh....
You're missing a lot of important information here...but learning as you go. Before going too far, I would suggest you search on here and other web sites as to how shock/struts and springs work. Then look at your issue in fresh light.

Basically, springs are what hold and support the weight of the car and everything within. Struts/Shocks only dampen movement up and down. So in a static position, are parts of your car hitting the ground with 300lbs in the back seat? Is the rear sagging heavily? Or does everything appear normal, until you drive over bumps?

If everything is visually ok until you drive, your struts are shot as they allow too much movement...they are not dampening.

If you have too much rear sag, your springs may be toast.

Either way, if you want only OEM ride height and feel, buy pre-assembled Honda strut units. They are very easy to replace yourself, with exception to possibly locked up roll bar linkage.

I recently (within the last year) replaced all 4 strut/spring assemblies on my 04, and I can tell you the rear still looks low when I have the kids or two adults back there. This is normal, and I've never had anything bump or scrape.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was looking at the KYB strut-plus.
has a KYB Excel-G strut with the kyb springs{dont know if the springs are
worth anything though}
ive never replaced the struts in my car and i doubt the last owner did either.i bought the car at about 100K

with this kit i dont have to take it to a mechanic , i can do it myself

·
Roll Tide!
7,660 Posts
i didn't know kyb had springs so i can check this learning point of my phoque-it list.

hit up the googler and see who makes those springs for kyb for starters. also, check out the interweb to see if there are any reviews for these on other cars that may give you insight as to their quality. i'm just sayin'.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well... before i could buy the reak kyb strut plus i had an issue with the front end suspension.
i ended up buying the front driver/passenger kyb strut plus.
so far im very happy with them { compared to my broken stocks }.
it looks like the struts were broken in my car , when i installed the new ones they
raised the car a bit { to stock height i suppose }.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts