Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I read reviews and saw that the honda dealer remote start is pretty crappy.

What a good recommendation?

Mainly, I would like

• No loss of 2nd key fob
  • No engine shut off and restart upon entering and driving the car
  • Locked car doors until I approach and enter the car

I have the EX-L with push button start.

From reading various reviews, I saw that many remote starts mess with the security systems in weird ways.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's the bypass that you should be concerned about.

Ads-alca requires no sacrificial keyfob but the engine shuts off when you enter the car.

Evo-all requires a sacrificial keyfob but the engine stays running when you enter the car.

I'd go with ads-alca, how hard is it to push the start button?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm looking at the viper systems. I've had a viper Security w/ r/s in all my past cars and no issues there. I think the bypass modules have gotten better where in some cases you will not have to lose a key and it'll store the frequency in the module to fake the system out.

I dont have the push button start issue as i have the Sport model.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the bypass that you should be concerned about.

Ads-alca requires no sacrificial keyfob but the engine shuts off when you enter the car.

Evo-all requires a sacrificial keyfob but the engine stays running when you enter the car.

I'd go with ads-alca, how hard is it to push the start button?
Not hard, but just a stupid procedure to stop then start an engine. I'll keep looking until someone makes a better bypass. Will keep you guys updated.

Can you register a third FOB?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last question.

Honda OEM Remote start has a 10/20min shutoff timer.

Do aftermarket units have this? Is this a feature of the bypass or remote start (guessing remote start)?

·
Registered
227 Posts
the Remote Engine Start System II has piqued my interest...I like the temperature control feature on the key fob. I've had my Honda for about 2 months, so no rush to install for me though. I think that one runs about $300-400 just for the hardware. I had remote start on my Jeep Commander and LOVED it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Last question.

Do aftermarket units have this? Is this a feature of the bypass or remote start (guessing remote start)?
Most will have an adjustable timer. On my previous car it was set for 12 mins.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Last question.

Yes. On my old viper system if you didn't extend the run time manually, the car automatically shuts off after 12 mins. Gives you a warning with 3mins left. If you don't do anything in the 3 mins the car shuts off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the Remote Engine Start System II has piqued my interest...I like the temperature control feature on the key fob. I've had my Honda for about 2 months, so no rush to install for me though. I think that one runs about $300-400 just for the hardware. I had remote start on my Jeep Commander and LOVED it.
i had this installed on our accord - dealer did a craptastic job on the install at first (didn't tighten screws in upper console, mounted antenna incorrectly, left wiring harness dangling by brake pedal) so i had them re-do it and leave all the interior panels off so i could inspect. it's probably about an hour to do right the first time. i brought a copy of the college hills install instructions with me and they stopped arguing about how "that's just the way it goes" when i pulled them out.

we're happy with the honda starter. it's got very good range, and although it turns off the engine when you open a door, that doesn't bother me. i do wish that the remote fob would replace a key like the acura remote start system 3 does, so you don't need to carry a key fob and a remote start fob, but i suppose this way you can pass the remote start fob to whoever is driving the car that day.

the honda system isn't cheap, but i like that is a replacement plug in harness and requires no cutting.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i had this installed on our accord - dealer did a craptastic job on the install at first (didn't tighten screws in upper console, mounted antenna incorrectly, left wiring harness dangling by brake pedal) so i had them re-do it and leave all the interior panels off so i could inspect. it's probably about an hour to do right the first time. i brought a copy of the college hills install instructions with me and they stopped arguing about how "that's just the way it goes" when i pulled them out.

we're happy with the honda starter. it's got very good range, and although it turns off the engine when you open a door, that doesn't bother me. i do wish that the remote fob would replace a key like the acura remote start system 3 does, so you don't need to carry a key fob and a remote start fob, but i suppose this way you can pass the remote start fob to whoever is driving the car that day.

the honda system isn't cheap, but i like that is a replacement plug in harness and requires no cutting.
wow, thanks for the review...those sound like potential deal breakers. not sure why their own brand wouldn't double as a keyless key & remote start. :thumbsdow

curious what model Honda do you have your RESS II installed on?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I got the Viper 5706v installed with smartstart. Didn't lose a key, and the engine does not turn off when i open the door. Works flawless just like my old car. The installer will have to make adjustments i'm sure. My guy installed this exactly the way i used to have on my old car.

It can be done with no issues. I will try to put up a video review when i get a chance.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I got the Viper 5706v installed with smartstart. Didn't lose a key, and the engine does not turn stop when i open the door. Works flawless just like my old car. The installer will have to make adjustments i'm sure. My guy installed this exactly the way i used to have on my old car.

It can be done with no issues. I will try to put up a video review when i get a chance.
exact same for me :thmsup:

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I got the Viper 5706v installed with smartstart. Didn't lose a key, and the engine does not turn stop when i open the door. Works flawless just like my old car. The installer will have to make adjustments i'm sure. My guy installed this exactly the way i used to have on my old car.

exact same for me :thmsup:
It doesn't matter about the key fob, you both have Sport models that don't have PUSH START. The Sport doesn't need an extra key, only the push start models need this or cut off upon entry.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It doesn't matter about the key fob, you both have Sport models that don't have PUSH START. The Sport doesn't need an extra key, only the push start models need this or cut off upon entry.
Agreed, I just noticed i subscribed and wanted to give my thoughts on my newest addition incase anyone check this thread for info.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i have the oem starter but the range isn't good wished that they had come out with a way to install the compustar starter when i had bought the vehicle

·
Registered
44 Posts
My buddy's infiniti has a viper remote starter, and he didn't have to sacrifice a key (module takes care of that). The only thing is when he gets in the car, he has to push the start button twice to get it to the ON feature. If you press the brake, the car turns off. Everything else works like it did before.

·
Registered
175 Posts
does anyone know if the OEM remote start II can be bypass so it doesn't shut off upon opening the door?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts