Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kyle
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so shortly after getting my accord I decided to put an aftermarket shift knob on my car because well frankly I never had a chance to put one on any of my previous cars that had manual transmissions. I thought they looked cool and mine was plain, however I made the mistake of not stopping with a cool shift knob. I had the dumb idea to cut my shifter shorter because I thought it looked better. Well now that I think the knob is a little ricer "ish" I want to achieve my nice stock clean look that came from the factory but I can't because the rod no longer has any threads on it :bawling: Is there a specific name for this part so I can order it or should I just count it as a loss and keep the knob. I don't know why it's been bothering me lately I guess I just think it's a nice car and I did what only a young ricer would do to it :lmao:

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
IMHO I would just find a better looking shift know you can throw on there. There's some decent ones that don't look ricer, and can look even stockish. I'd just go with that. Otherwise you could always rethread it using a tool, or replace the whole unit.

GL!

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
Skunk2 shift knob? I've heard good reviews about them even though I don't own one. Only downside I can think of is when it's hot outside and your car turns into an oven and the knob gets blistering hot to the touch at first.

·
Kyle
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMHO I would just find a better looking shift know you can throw on there. There's some decent ones that don't look ricer, and can look even stockish. I'd just go with that. Otherwise you could always rethread it using a tool, or replace the whole unit.

GL!
What kind of tool would I need to use to re-thread it :dunno:, thanks for your advice guys. Yea I don't need a stock knob just something that looks clean but all of them usually require threads lol

·
Just another old guy ....
1,269 Posts
What kind of tool would I need to use to re-thread it :dunno:, thanks for your advice guys. Yea I don't need a stock knob just something that looks clean but all of them usually require threads lol
You will need a "Die" with the proper thread. You should be able to get one from an auto parts or hardware store. If you have the original shifter knob, take it with you to store. Someone there should be able to help you to find the correct size by finding a bolt that that fits it and then getting you the correct die to cut the threads on your shifter arm.

There's more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_and_die#Die

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,447 Posts
how bout replacing the stock knob with the leather wrapped one that available as a genuine honda accessory??? i did that with my car, and haven't looked back....

·
lookin' clean
671 Posts
i have the skunk 2 knob and its been my favorite. I bought it once before for my prelude, sold it to someone. When I bought the accord I bought another one. It has good weight to it so it shifts nicer with less effort. Just rethread the existing rod with a die, it will defiantly work.

heres the part number if you want a brand new rod.

54100-SDA-A01 LEVER SUB-ASSY.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
how bout replacing the stock knob with the leather wrapped one that available as a genuine honda accessory??? i did that with my car, and haven't looked back....
Uh, isn't your accessory knob threaded (screwed) on? If it is (which I'm going to bet it is) doesn't do him any good since his shifter is no longer threaded.

·
Kyle
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You will need a "Die" with the proper thread. You should be able to get one from an auto parts or hardware store. If you have the original shifter knob, take it with you to store. Someone there should be able to help you to find the correct size by finding a bolt that that fits it and then getting you the correct die to cut the threads on your shifter arm.

There's more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_and_die#Die
Sweet, thanks for the help. :thmsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts