Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on here. I traded in my MDX w/ Tech a few months ago for a 2015 EX-L. I've adjusted to most of the vast differences but I'm really not happy with the sound system. I'd like to have it upgraded without causing an issue when it comes time to trade the car in. I've been searching these forums for a few days and it seems like my best option is to just swap out all the speakers. There are so many options and this isn't my forte so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not looking to spend much time or money but I miss the ELS surround sound.

·
Registered
941 Posts
You're gonna have to choose time or money. Ie install yourself or pay someone too.

Most won't recommend just a simple speaker swap. If you really want better audio you'll need an amp, which means a LOC device like the LC7i, if you're looking to keep price down. Equipment wise, that can keep you around 500, plus wiring and incidentals.

There's no quick and cheap solution for really improved audio.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you have an EX-L, you have an easier time getting better sound in your car.

Here's a list of items you'll need:

6.5" Components for the front doors (I recommend the Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 6.5" speakers as they can be converted to components or coaxials)
6.5 coaxial speakers for the rear deck (same thing, HAT Imagine 6.5")
8" sub for the rear deck (JL Audio 8W1V3 or 8W3V3)
6 channel RCA cable (Stinger SI4617 (SI 4617) 17 ft (5.1M) of 6-Chan 4000 RCA Cables)
3 speaker to rca converters (XD-CLRAIC2-SW - Car Audio - Connection Systems - Audio Connections - RCA to Speaker Wire - JL Audio)
5 channel amp
150' of speaker cable
Amp kit
Speaker mounting adapters

·
Registered
412 Posts

6.5" Components for the front doors (I recommend the Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 6.5" speakers as they can be converted to components or coaxials)
6 channel RCA cable (Stinger SI4617 (SI 4617) 17 ft (5.1M) of 6-Chan 4000 RCA Cables)
3 speaker to rca converters (XD-CLRAIC2-SW - Car Audio - Connection Systems - Audio Connections - RCA to Speaker Wire - JL Audio)
5 channel amp
150' of speaker cable
Amp kit
How much of an improvement over stock is this set up? This sounds like something I could be interested in doing in the near future!

·
Registered
792 Posts
How would you do that?
Do what? tap into the signal before the amp? I would do it right behind the radio by adding new harnesses so I don't have to cut wires. Once you do this, you'll bypass the factory amp and the speaker wiring altogether. You'll need to run new wiring anyway, so this won't be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

5 channel amp
150' of speaker cable
Amp kit
Thanks for the replies. I priced most of these and it looks like $1k plus install, does that sound about right? Replacing some door speakers and connectors are probably doable for me, but to do something like this I'd take it to a shop or risk doing more harm than good. Whatever I do needs to be less than $1k installed. What's most important and what can I do without?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I priced most of these and it looks like $1k plus install, does that sound about right? Replacing some door speakers and connectors are probably doable for me, but to do something like this I'd take it to a shop or risk doing more harm than good. Whatever I do needs to be less than $1k installed. What's most important and what can I do without?
You could save some money by dropping the rear speakers and replacing them with 6.5" subs. Doing that, You could go to a 4 channel amp, which will also save a few bucks.

Trying to get much for $1000 including install is going to be difficult. You may only be able to get a speaker swap . Theres a lot of labor involved in adding an amp and thusly having to rewire everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts