·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LINK: SUPERCUPKIT.ACC.3

PARTS:
  • V6: 55.20.57 NEUSPEED Race Spring Kit
  • I4: 55.20.52 NEUSPEED Race Spring Kit
  • 1 - 8041-1322L Sport Koni Shock (Front)
  • 1 - 8041-1322R Sport Koni Shock (Front)
  • 2 - 8041-1329 Sport Koni Shock (Rears)
The Koni Sport product line is one of our specialities. Koni serves Sporting Drivers with a carefully designed range of sport shock absorbers. This product focuses on exceptional road holding and handling, combined with a reasonable level of driving comfort. They can also be used with spring kits to lower a vehicle up to 35mm.
Many of the Koni Sport dampers are externally adjustable by means of an adjustment knob at the top of the damper. This means you do not have to remove the damper from the vehicle to adjust the rebound forces. This enables you to fine tune the handling & ride to suit your driving style.

Dampers without the top adjustable feature can still be adjusted, although they will need to be removed from the vehicle to achieve this. You may wish to use lowered springs with the Koni Sport range, if you do this please be aware the maximum lowering permitted is 35mm. Please also ensure that any bump stops are re-fitted to ensure no damage occurs to the valving should the damper bottom out.

Features:
  • Big handling improvements
  • Reasonable ride quality
  • External rebound adjustment on most cars
  • Best KONI shock for all lowering springs
  • Re-buildable and re-valveable for custom vehicle setups
  • Yellow exterior finish
  • Lifetime Warranty
  • Personalize your cars ride/handling with these precision damper units.
See items in BLUE. If this is the case, would we be inclined not to purchase the Supercup kit if the desired lowering height exceeds 35mm? I find it odd that Neuspeed pairs these particular Koni Sport shocks with Neuspeed Race springs which offer 2.25" F / 1.75" R lowering springs. These would already be out of the maximum lowering range recommended by Koni. Makes me also question the collaboration of Koni and Neuspeed knowing full well that the lowering springs do not fall in the lowering range recommended by Koni. Many have also paired the Koni Shocks with Ground Controls, and most seem to exceed a lowering height of 35mm (~1.38").

Is this analysis incorrect?? Please discuss.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ True, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the original design intent of shock damper/piston to operate in its optimal travel range? I guess that's my question...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can't find the exact link but when I was researching before purchasing mine, I remember reading that the design Koni uses on their yellow sport shocks has no specific optimal range for the piston/damper. Whether the piston is traveling from the top to the middle or the lower half or wherever, it's the same damping.

As for the lowering not to exceed 35mm, that feels like a disclaimer just to protect themselves. Koni even pairs their shocks up with Eibach springs and those are lower than 35mm as well. The important part is just making sure the bump stops are in place so if it bottoms out, you won't damage anything. I have Eibach Pro-Kit springs in with the shocks at full stiff and the shocks are definitely not bottoming out lol. It's really stiff. When I did my research I also saw that pretty much the only problems I saw about Koni Yellows are when people buy ground control height adjustments and lowered their car all the way down or put lowering springs on the lower spring perches. The piston just won't have enough space to travel.

As long as you treat them like shocks and not coil-overs you should be fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Anytime! By the way, I found the link.

http://www.koni-na.com/faq.cfm#4

That's got a lot of info on this stuff. Check under "How far can I safely lower my car?"

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
nice post. Just a heads up I am lowered 2.25in in the front and 2.0 in the rear. So that more then their 35mm standard. I know my friend has it almost down to 3in (almost not 100% what is it) with GC coils.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts