Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new owner here, I picked up my 2013 accord coupe v6 with navigation exactly one week ago. I thought I'd introduce myself, discuss my buying/ownership experience thus far and ask a few questions about the car.

A little about me, I'm from the Bay Area and I work and go to school full time. I've been a car enthusiast my entire life. This is actually the first car that wasn't handed down to me or purchased for me by my parents and for that reason it's a really special car. My car search lasted around 7 months, I started my search convinced that I was going to purchase a e46 M3..three weeks into that plan I decided that a 21 year old student probably shouldn't purchase an almost 10 year old high performance bmw. I then shifted my sights to a brz and later on a used is250 and new mazda3. While I really liked all of the cars each car had it's own flaw. I never once considered the accord coupe until two weeks ago when I drove by one and decided to do some research.

Once I decided the accord coupe was the one, I got online and emailed maybe a dozen honda dealerships both in the bay area and sacramento area. I received a range of quotes through the internet sales departments at these dealerships. A couple things I noticed: Prices in the San Jose and Sacramento areas seem noticeably than the East Bay, every dealership has their own dealer added accessories that they don't include in their price quote, dealers are really inconsistent with how they present their prices example: some include flex cash and some don't into their price quotes. For these reasons its hard to really gage who is giving you the best deal. I visited several dealerships all claiming to be better then the next one; however, I only had serious negotiations at one dealership. If I could go back in time I would have had engaged in serious negotiations with more than one dealership, it seemed as if this is when you really can get the best pricing. I decided to visit Honda of El Cerrito because they had the exact car I wanted in the color I wanted; they lured me in with a very attractive online price of 26,871.

What I didn't know at the time was that the dealer added accessories weren't included in the quote and 500.00 Honda flex cash was already applied. Several other dealers still had '13 coupes left but not in the color I wanted for that reason I decided this would be the one I'd want to buy. The dealer was asking an additional 677.00 for the accessories which include wheel locks, 3m door edge guards, and a nitro tire package. While the wheel locks and edge guards serve a useful purpose this dealership was asking 250.00 to put nitrogen in 4 tires and provide a years worth of insurance on the wheels and tires I still think this is the dumbest dealer added accessory I've ever heard of, but I digress. These accessories brought the price up to 27,548. I offered to purchase the car if they reduced the price by 500.00. The dealership agreed to 27,048. Once we reached this price I mentioned that I am eligible for the Honda new graduate program and would like the additional 500.00 credit to my purchase. The dealer quickly shot down that proposition and said 27,048 is the cheapest they could go on that particular car. I agreed to purchase the car for 27,048 before sales tax and title, this price included 500.00 honda flex cash and the dealer added accessories. The out the door price was 30,294. Overall, I was satisfied and happy with my purchase. The salesman and GM at this dealership seemed like a genuinely good people.

One week into my purchase I have a few questions and observations:

The car isn't in perfect shape: While the interior is extremely clean, the body has tons of swirls and there are a few small scratches by the driver door. I think the scratches can be buffed out but the swirls are extremely irritating especially the ones that are on the shiny black trim on the driver and passenger doors by the windows. I'm not really sure how to get the swirls off of the shiny plastic. It looks like they ran the car through a car was 10 times. There is also some fading or corrosion on the drivers side black shiny trim thats by the window. There are also what looks like sparkles or over spray all over the car including the windows, windshield and body of the car. When I'm driving there are shiny flakes all over the windshield and so far I haven't been able to get it off..I plan on fully detailing the car tomorrow though so hopefully I can get it off with window cleaner.

Was I entitled to the college graduate rebate? The dealership agreed to sell the car for 27,049 before tax and title but said they couldn't give me the graduate rebate because the car was already so discounted. Is it up to the dealer's discretion to give me the discount or not? I was under the impression this program is run through honda and not the dealer and I still feel like I should have gotten an additional 500.00 off.

History of the car..When I was buying the car the dealer mentioned that this car was a "roll back". They said someone probably purchased the car before but had to return it because of financing issues. They said that this was still considered a new car and on the sales contract this is listed as a new car. Yesterday I noticed the window sticker has a different Honda dealership listed as the sales dealership. I may be paranoid but I'm wondering what the previous history of this car is and if something is being hidden from me.

Transmission Issue? Is it me or does this car have a bit of a jerky shift into first? Its almost as if it's engaging in some sort of engine braking as it really slows down once I hit 7 or 8 mph.

That being said, I LOVE THIS CAR!!! It's seriously so awesome. Every time I see it or drive it it puts a huge grin on my face. This car has so many great things going for it, great exterior design, classy interior, great v6 power train, usable back seats, excellent trunk room, fuel economy, and even sporty (to me) engine/exhaust sound when I'm accelerating. I was in the market for 6+ months and when I looked into the accord coupe I knew it was the one and a week later I had my very own. For anyone that's considering it I would fully recommend it, this car looks and feels twice as expensive as it actually is. Those LED's are menacing and I think people really pay attention to this car when you drive by. My GF, family, and friends all agree it's an awesome car too.

I'm looking forward to being a member of this forum, both learning from and contributing to this community. I'll post some pics after I wash and detail tomorrow. Nice to meet you all in advanced!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have this powerful tool called dealer feed back.

The next few days you will receive a survey from Honda.

Bring the car back to the dealer you purchased and complain them about all the issues you have or you threaten them you'll them bad rating in your survey

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hey everyone new owner here, just picked up my 2013 accord coupe v6 with navi exactly one week ago. Thought I'd say hi and introduce myself, post my buying/ownership experience so far and ask a few questions about the car.

I plan on fully detailing the car tomorrow though so hopefully I can get it off with window cleaner.

I'm looking forward to being a member of this forum, both learning from and contributing to this community. I'll post some pics after I wash and detail tomorrow. Nice to meet you all in advanced!
WAIT HOLD ON A SECOND!! Before you detail your car check out the link posted below. It's probably the best information I've run across on how to detail a new car. Follow this guide and your new car will look fantastic for months/years to come.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79730[SIZE=%223%22

There are many issues to be addressed in your post and you'll get a lot of good advice from other members on this forum. I wanted to give you some input on cleaning up your new car as that is the first thing we all want to do. Unfortunately we can make matters worse simply because we don't know any better. Hope you find the link helpful and congratulations on the new car. [B]BTW, you're gonna love the V6!![/B]

·
HA-420
709 Posts
Quick question:
You said your car was a "roll back" - did it still have any of the protective plastic from the factory on anything in the interior? Or anywhere else for that matter?

·
Registered
40 Posts
great price on a great car. and i don't think that's a transmission issue, it's probably the vcm for the v6 models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like you may have a lemon, bring them and tell them to fix it.

For the paint wise, it's really hard to tell, since they can said you scratch it by yourself, but jerking, you should be able to figure that out when you test another one, and then you will know the answer right away

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome from another V6 owner. It sounds like you got a good deal. The only thing that concerns me is that the car was returned.

There is no way to tell if the person that drove it followed the break-in instructions but the warranty should help alleviate most concerns. Was there a way to check and tell if the car showed up as having an owner before you at the time you purchased (i.e. was it titled)?

It might not hurt to keep your eye out for the Carfax records in case it shows a previous owner. That can devalue the car but most importantly it would make the car you purchased a used car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Testrage: I agree, it bothers me a little bit that I don't really know how the car was driven while I didn't own it; however, it only had 90 miles on it when I bought it so whoever was driving it only had it for a day or two. I really doubt anything could have happened in that that amount of time unless they took it to the track. Could the dealer sell me a used car yet still check it off as a new car on the sales contract? Checking carfax is a good idea.

Will13: Thanks buddy, I'm stoked!

Superturbo: Haha at this point there's no way this car is a lemon, in terms of driving it's been almost flawless. I may have made it seem like this car has problems in my original post, but it doesn't. My only real issue is with the scratches and the swirls in the paint. I bought it at night so I couldn't really see the swirls when I left the dealership.

User320 + B3nWin: Thanks! I figured I got a good price, do you think there's any point to push for the additional $500.00 in college grad rebates, while I still think I could have pushed harder for it in the negotiations I don't think either the dealer or Honda financial are really going to give me that money back.

RyRy: The car had no plastic on the interior or exterior. Someone previously drove this car off the lot but had to return it due to financial issues (at least that is what I was told). I don't really mind that someone drove this car before it because it was only for 90 miles, I'm just hoping it only shows one previous owner on autocheck or carfax.

User320: Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check out the guide to washing the car before I do anything later today!

Sutaji: I remember the dealership telling me about the survey! I'm not really the threatening type haha I'm just a little disappointed in the condition of the exterior of the vehicle. I'll be sure to let the dealership know about the swirls and fading on the plastic trim and see what they say.

So what do you all think, is it worth it to try to get the $500.00 back from the Honda Graduate program or did I already get a good enough deal and am waisting my and the dealers time?

I know I said I'd post pictures after I washed the car but there's no harm in posting pics sooner! enjoy! In the last pic I tried to show the fading of the trim I described in my original post.

·
HA-420
709 Posts
RyRy: The car had no plastic on the interior or exterior. Someone previously drove this car off the lot but had to return it due to financial issues (at least that is what I was told). I don't really mind that someone drove this car before it because it was only for 90 miles, I'm just hoping it only shows one previous owner on autocheck or carfax.
Oh ok. I ask because mine had 126 on it when I bought it and the salesperson swore up and down that it wasn't a return or whatever - the miles were disconcerting but there was factory plastic on the interior. I chalked it up to being a managers car or a something like that. Just curious if we were in the same boat.

Anyways, nice looking ride!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Great looking car. Don't sweat the really small stuff. Mine had 200 miles on it when I took delivery and it runs great. When your odometer rolls over 100,000 miles you won't care any longer. I think the Accord coupe is one of the best looking cars available today. Welcome to the forum. It's a place where we owners can have fun and educate one another. It includes a bunch of owners who sometimes like to complain that Honda didn't give them all the features that they wanted that would come standard on a $50,000 car. :D Drat American Honda.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll be looking to get a Coupe EX-L V6 with Navi around May and I really hope I can get a good deal like you. I am also in the Bay Area.

I just helped my girlfriend buy a 2013 Civic EX almost 2 months ago from Livermore Honda and we got it with .99% APR (first time buyer, so this was hard to get) and the price of the car was 17,888. The MSRP Is like 21. I am hoping to come back to that dealer to get a great deal on the Accord.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Definitely take your time on the detail part, please research the thread Glen posted, lots of experience here. What you don't want to do is make it worse! Swirls can be removed with the right tools and technique. Luckily for me Meguiars home base is 20 minutes away and they have the free Saturday detailing class with experts such as Mike Phillips (they used to anyway!) I'll be interested to see how the new instructor Mike Stoops is.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Chokking,

I got it out the door for 30,294..This price included dealer added accessories including wheel locks, door edge guards, and a tire warranty.

Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts