Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I'm about a week into ownership, and I love the car. What I am struggling with is the NAV system. I much prefer a simple $200 Garmin unit I bought at Costco for my Odyssey.

Does anyone have any tips? Voice command is clumsy and requires one letter at a time instructions, with a long winded voice prompt between each prompt letter.

Cannot be operated while vehicle is in motion. I get this for safety, but my wife would often input an address or search location as passenger, and this system resricts that. Can this be turned off?

Thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi OP, Welcome to the forums! Congrats on the new car..enjoy! You can search for threads about the frustration with the NAVI unit in our cars. I find the system frustrating a times, marginal at others. It is difficult to input info, the voice commands like you said, are clumsy, and as soon as you put the car in drive, you can not input anything. Another pet peeve of mine is getting a letter in the mail, stating Honda will send you a NAVI update disk for $99, instead of the normal $150. HA! Your $200 Garmin gets free updates, but the very expensive system in our cars, we have to pay.... Unless Honda updates the NAVI system to be more intuitive like your Garmin, this is the last Honda I will get with it. Besides, my phone gives better and faster directions than the system can.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
This is no help for the OP, but I know the 2016 Pilot is using Garmin Navi, and you get free updates for the first 5 years.

As for the OP, you can thank the Safety Nazis for taking away your ability to input an address.
If you dig around this forum you should be able to get into the diagnostic menu and overcome that issue.

·
EarthDreams
788 Posts
Though it reassures me that I made the right decision by avoiding the factory Navi, it still sucks to see so many people unhappy with it. Sorry for your loss OP. Go buy a Garmin for $150 that comes with free lifetime updates.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
758 Posts
This is no help for the OP, but I know the 2016 Pilot is using Garmin Navi, and you get free updates for the first 5 years.

As for the OP, you can thank the Safety Nazis for taking away your ability to input an address.
If you dig around this forum you should be able to get into the diagnostic menu and overcome that issue.
Are you saying there is a setting in the diagnostics menu that will let you input addresses while driving?

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
849 Posts
Are you saying there is a setting in the diagnostics menu that will let you input addresses while driving?
It's false hope, it only works for non nav system. I tried everything in the diagnostics menu and got nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts