Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm not sure if you've seen the news lately about Houston, TX but my car was flooded over night. It was past knee high so the water got up to as high as a little above the car seats (leather is ruined and soaked).

Anyone here know if the adjuster will write me a check or will he send it in for repair? I know if the cost of repair is as much as the car's value or higher then he will write it off. So the fair value would be around 30k-31k. I'm assuming that it'll cost a fortune to fix it but what do you guys think? I'm not too sure about Hybrids and it looks like the water got into my trunk and possibly fried the battery as my car's keyless entry doesn't even work.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you had total loss replacement insurance this might be used. As I think you have to get to 70-75% of the vehicle be repaired before they will do this. Depending on your insurance company.

Sorry to hear about your car... That would be devastating to see.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
I have cousins in Houston and you guys suffered. Sorry to hear this, but at least you are OK.

Every insurance company I ever dealt with will write you a check as it will be a total loss with water that high. The safety and integrity of the vehicle are affected in a negative manner once the car is flooded.

Now, can it be salvaged? Probably yes. Remember before Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, it was very easy to simply get a flooded car in Louisiana, get it totaled, but sell it as a simple used car in other states so the new buyer had no way of knowing if the car was a salvage title back in Louisiana.....

Your battery, SRS, airbags, brake lines, etc were all exposed to not just rain water, but FLOOD water- which contains everything from rat feces to salty sea water to corrosive chemicals dripped onto the road from Fords and Chevys.

Which insurance company do you have?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have cousins in Houston and you guys suffered. Sorry to hear this, but at least you are OK.

Every insurance company I ever dealt with will write you a check as it will be a total loss with water that high. The safety and integrity of the vehicle are affected in a negative manner once the car is flooded.

Now, can it be salvaged? Probably yes. Remember before Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, it was very easy to simply get a flooded car in Louisiana, get it totaled, but sell it as a simple used car in other states so the new buyer had no way of knowing if the car was a salvage title back in Louisiana.....

Your battery, SRS, airbags, brake lines, etc were all exposed to not just rain water, but FLOOD water- which contains everything from rat feces to salty sea water to corrosive chemicals dripped onto the road from Fords and Chevys.

Which insurance company do you have?
I have Farmers insurance and I'm supposed to get a call from them sometime before noon today.

If they write me a check I'm trying to decide if I want to get another Accord Hybrid. I love the 47mpg and even 53mpg at times but it makes me question how well the parts will hold up in the reliability department. Maybe I'll just get the base model Accord 2015 and just pocket the rest in difference.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That would certianly be an idea, however, you might miss some of the features. But that is all up to you. Best of luck today!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry to hear your Accord was flooded, but glad you are ok. Hopefully you get resolution soon from the Ins Co. (fixed or totaled) as I'm sure there's a lot of people in line.

I used to live in Houston (and Clear Lake, League City, Friendswood, Seabrook, ...). Streets don't drain well there so even when it rains normally, areas can flood easily enough to be a driving hazard.

Watch out for fire ants in the water!!

I remember one hurricane years ago when I was a kid that caused flooding in my dad's Houston neighborhood and he had to push his S10 Blazer (while I steered) onto a landscape mound in a parking lot because the water had stalled it and was starting to come into the foot well. The water in the local tennis court came up to my chest.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. I had a car flooded years ago after one of the hurricanes and it was a total loss that resulted in getting a check to pay off the loan etc.

I still live in Houston but got lucky this time being on the NW side we didn't get the flooding...YET!

Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still no call from the insurance company but they did say at the end of the day and its 3:30pm here in Houston.

One question, anyone know if there are alot of electrical wiring inside the Accord Hybrid? I did notice that my trunk was filled with water and the center console where the shifter is was all wet (cup holders were full of water as well). Does it cost alot to fix all this, also since they keyless entry doesn't work I'm assuming the battery has gone out?

Here are some photos I took.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'd be hoping they write the whole thing off. I would NEVER accept a flooded car. That thing will have gremlins until the end of time, even if it is "fixed."

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope it is resolved to your satisfaction, whatever is decided.

Reactions: Slides

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
870 Posts
It will be written off, the cost to repair would be to high starting with ur electric motors and all of the wirring running on the floor board.

·
The Shadow displaced Bug Magnet
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T in Modern Steel Metallic
490 Posts
My Sis's 17 day old new car got nailed in a flood. The adjuster asked one question ... how deep was the water... and Sis's answer (water mark on the dash) = check for the full purchase price.

Every insurance company has a cut-off point. Once you say the magic word(s) it is automatic check time.

·
Registered
245 Posts
So sad to see your Accord like this but glad you're okay!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It will be written off, the cost to repair would be to high starting with ur electric motors and all of the wirring running on the floor board.
Are the wires really under the floorboard? Also where is the electric motor located?

Does anyone have a diagram of where crucial parts are located on the hch? Much appreciated!

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this, but you really don't want them to try to fix this.

·
2014 Accord EX-L Coupe
353 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss but at least it can be replaced unlike so many that were injured or died in those storms....that I guess are still going on.

That car will be a total loss hands down. The adjusters must be way busy dealing with more tragic losses to houses (finding a place for people to live), injuries, etc. They will get to you though.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have Farmers insurance and I'm supposed to get a call from them sometime before noon today.

If they write me a check I'm trying to decide if I want to get another Accord Hybrid. I love the 47mpg and even 53mpg at times but it makes me question how well the parts will hold up in the reliability department. Maybe I'll just get the base model Accord 2015 and just pocket the rest in difference.
Be real sure the base model (LX) 6-way manual driver's seat with NO TILT adjustment is going to work for you. If someone gave me that model for free, I would turn around and sell it.
If I take a 10-way power seat and flatten out the tilt just about the way (which is like the LX seat), doesn't fit at all. If put in the tilt, boom, all is well. It just works.

·
196 Posts
Are the wires really under the floorboard? Also where is the electric motor located?

Does anyone have a diagram of where crucial parts are located on the hch? Much appreciated!
Diagrams are linked from this post. All of the motive parts are up front, including the two electric motors and the gas engine. Battery pack is between the trunk and the rear seats. One of the diagrams shows the main wiring run from the battery to the front of the car running below the main cabin (which makes sense; where else are they going to run it)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ecu, relays, exhaust, brake lines, carpet, seats, wiring ($$$) etc... Will never be the same. Take the check and start over. That car is easy to get another. Sucks but you get a do over, take it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
total loss indeed.. flooded vehicles are a mess and should be junked, so sorry for your loss

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
Side Note:

Just like after the hurricanes in New Orleans and New Jersey, you will see a lot of Honda wheels for sale from the great state of Texas, on eBay.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts