Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I am a new 2014 Accord Hybrid owner from Canada. I purchased the car in early December and after owning it for a month, I am loving it.

I paid $1k under MSRP, black on black, Canadian base model (we don't have EX-L Hybrids here unfortunately) which I think is different than the US base model. I am not sure about the standard equipment for the US base model but my base Accord H has these:

-LED tails and DRLs w/ Halogen low beam projectors
-Heated front seats (cloth)
-Dual screen center stack w/o Nav
-Lanewatch camera with LED Mirrors
-Multi-angle rear cameras
-Rear air vents

Will post pics as soon as I wash it haha, it's completely covered in road salt atm.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What mpg's are you seeing? The mpg on my I-4 is pretty pathetic when im in NYC

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What mpg's are you seeing? The mpg on my I-4 is pretty pathetic when im in NYC
Over the month I averaged about 43 mpg, but there are a few factors that might of negatively affected that figure. The best mpg I got was on this single trip that I took where I got 61 mpg.

1. The engine needs to be on for it to heat the cabin, I try to rely on the heated seats most of the time, but sometimes I just want the heat lol.

2. Winter gas yields less mpgs than summer ones.

3. All the snow and slush on the ground increases rolling resistance and induces tire spinning from time to time.

4. Brand new engine, I might see improved mpg once it's run in. I put just over 2000 Kms (1200 miles) on it since I got it.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Heated cloth... :censored:

Jay

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to Drive Accord! Stick around and you will learn a lot about your car. What made you decide to buy the Accord hybrid vs. a Prius?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heated cloth... :censored:

Jay
I rely on it more than you think in this weather haha, plus it helps me keep the car in EV mode longer :D

Congratulations and welcome to Drive Accord! Stick around and you will learn a lot about your car. What made you decide to buy the Accord hybrid vs. a Prius?
Thanks!

The Prius is just not for me, underpowered and ugly imo. I did try the Camry Hybrid, but it pales when compared with the Accord since it lacks some very basic stuff like rearview cameras and heated heats in the base model, and it gets worse mpgs. On top of that it looked bland and the steering is numb. The Accord H's steering is a bit numb compared to the gas only versions, but still better than the Camry.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yay! Another one. I want to say one of us, but...

I don't have a 9th generation Accord yet. Many members will recognize me as the Hybrid crazy guy. I don't have my car yet.

I waited patiently for the Hybrid to come out. When it came out I was ready to buy but couldn't find the color and trim I wanted (Obsidian Blue Pearl, EX-L). I've got one on order now, but there's no telling when I'll get it. Maybe as long as three months. My dealer would let me take home their White Orchid Pearl EX-L Hybrid tomorrow for the same price, but that's not my first, second or even third color choice. So I'll wait.

I've also been getting caught up in the end of year excitement. Searched cars.com for vehicles around the country. But nothing is working out.

I keep tormenting myself thinking I should just settle for a regular Accord EX-L or maybe even an LX. I've had two and only two cars for the last 25 years - an 1989 Accord LXi hatchback and a 2001 Accord EX-L sedan. Now I want something different, special. And the Hybrid is both.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Mikemc12, congrats on your new purchase! Can you take a pic of your headlights? I'm interested in the hybrid headlight but without the LED low beams and it seems like that's what you got.

·
Registered
514 Posts
1. The engine needs to be on for it to heat the cabin, I try to rely on the heated seats most of the time, but sometimes I just want the heat lol.
I'm surprised at this. Are you sure? My understanding was that the Accord PHEV and hybrid models ran electric heat and AC. Maybe on the hybrid it is less likely you will have a full battery charge to run the electric heaters, but it should be able to run them off the battery.

Out of curiosity, does the hybrid have a 'hybrid charge' mode? In the PHEV, a long press of the hybrid button allows you to charge the battery off the engine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think the electric plugin uses only an electric heater because it does not have a gas engine to use coolant to heat. The hybrids use both electric and coolant.

The heater in my hybrid will run without the engine. But the engine will turn on after sitting with the heater running for awhile.

I was looking at the parts diagrams on some Honda parts website. The diagram of the heater box shows an electronic heating element and a heater core.

So I think the electric heater is used when the car is cold but after the engine warms up then the heat is produced from the heater core itself.

Why else would it have a regular heater core?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think the electric plugin uses only an electric heater because it does not have a gas engine to use coolant to heat.
The Accord Hybrid Plug-In does have a gas engine too. In fact it's very similar to the Accord Hybrid that you have. It just has a much bigger battery (and even smaller trunk), a place to plug in on the left front fender, and a different front end. Other than that and a few minor cosmetic and small differences, they're the same car.

If it didn't have a gas engine it wouldn't be called a hybrid :D

I was looking at the parts diagrams on some Honda parts website. The diagram of the heater box shows an electronic heating element and a heater core.

So I think the electric heater is used when the car is cold but after the engine warms up then the heat is produced from the heater core itself.

Why else would it have a regular heater core?
I wonder too. I recall reading a thread here where they talked about the Accord (all Accords) having electric heat. But I finished reading it and wasn't sure what was correct.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
electric water pump and heater core heating element - no drive belt. the engine will run only to meet the electrical demand if needed, which can be high in winter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Mikemc12, congrats on your new purchase! Can you take a pic of your headlights? I'm interested in the hybrid headlight but without the LED low beams and it seems like that's what you got.
Sure thing, here are some pics, had to wipe the headlights off since it was so dirty lol:

I'm surprised at this. Are you sure? My understanding was that the Accord PHEV and hybrid models ran electric heat and AC. Maybe on the hybrid it is less likely you will have a full battery charge to run the electric heaters, but it should be able to run them off the battery.

Out of curiosity, does the hybrid have a 'hybrid charge' mode? In the PHEV, a long press of the hybrid button allows you to charge the battery off the engine.
Yes whenever I turn the heat on the engine comes on as well, when when I turn it off, the car goes into EV mode. The only time when there is a slight exception is when I am driving on the highway when then engine is on most of the time anyway, then the car might go into EV mode even when the heat is on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just gonna add some other interior pics since I am still waiting for a good day for a car wash:

One of two Hybrid exclusive buttons ("Electric hum off", when you want to sneak up on someone on purpose lol). other being the EV mode button.

Dashcam 12V plug with wires run underneath the center console and hidden outta sight. (Thanks to this great tutorial by Zoi: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78944). The rear air vent made it a bit more difficult to work with, so take your time.

Like spw303 said, I wouldn't do much DIY under the hood. I got free maintenance from the dealer for the life of the vehicle though, so I'll leave most of that to them :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
So the entry level hybrid has led DRLs? Or is that just the Canadian hybrids?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
692 Posts
How is the power at hwy speeds. I know the current i4 picks up well right now. I just want to make sure the hybrid still has good power while on the hwy

·
Registered
519 Posts
Quite a feat to get one. Stevens Creek Honda told me there's like 2 available in state of CA. Oh brother.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ooh, I wish the U.S. version had the ability to turn off the low speed pedestrian warning. Pretty sure that's not available in the U.S.

You guys get all the good stuff up north…heated seats in the Sport and now this! Of course, I'll keep the U.S. pricing. ;)

Thanks for the pics. Enjoy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So the entry level hybrid has led DRLs? Or is that just the Canadian hybrids?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Not sure if it is a Canadian thing. We don't have EX-L here, so it's just base and Touring, I think the US base model also doesn't have multiangle rear-view camera and rear air vents?

How is the power at hwy speeds. I know the current i4 picks up well right now. I just want to make sure the hybrid still has good power while on the hwy
Power is good. I thought the Hybrid has more HP than the regular I4 so it should be better than the I4. City driving is even better thanks to instant torque output of the electric motor. Coming from a Mazdapeed 6, you definitely feel the difference but the it's bearable. What's gone with the Accord H is the MS6's atrocious fuel economy, I was getting 13 mpg mixed driving (premium fuel required). For reference my buddy's G55 AMG gets around the same mileage lol.

Quite a feat to get one. Stevens Creek Honda told me there's like 2 available in state of CA. Oh brother.
I was told there were only 30 in Canada until the second batch came lol.

Ooh, I wish the U.S. version had the ability to turn off the low speed pedestrian warning. Pretty sure that's not available in the U.S.

You guys get all the good stuff up north…heated seats in the Sport and now this! Of course, I'll keep the U.S. pricing. ;)

Thanks for the pics. Enjoy!
That's the beauty of the Canadian spec Hybrid base mode, I think the base price is the same with the US version. However, I would get a EX-L if they offered one here :). The price difference is negligible and you get some nice stuff.

Which dealership was this that offered lifetime maintenance? Is this limited to oil changes?
It was at Roadsport, I double checked and it turned out it was only oil changes. Oh well, still not bad I guess since the "scheduled maintenance B" is only once a year and I get it cheaper since the oil change is already covered. I get "scheduled maintenance A" for free since it's just an oil change.

Here are some more photos, even after the wash, the car got dirty quick, so I used a filter to cover some up lol:

Slighty blurry :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts