Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm a new owner of 2009 Accord LX 4cyl Sedan. 54k on the clock. The car is in fresh condition in and out. Engine runs good, trans shifts smoothly.
I drove 1000 miles on it already. On a full tank of premium gas i was able to drive 515 miles (95% highway 65 - 75 mph on cruise control + 5% city) and then the low fuel light came on.
In the city (NYC) it gives me a very poor mpg, full tank lasts me for 220 - 240 miles. :dunno: i drive in normal style.
I've changed the oil (synthetic). Did wheel alignment (which was not necessary). Got my tire pressures checked. No check engine light on, passed the inspection... nothing wrong. Should I try Lucas Fuel Treatment?

Any suggestions?

(sorry about the dirty look of my car, pic taken after highway driving in rains)

I previously owned Hyundai Sonata 4 cyl '06, 4 speed automatic which had 118k milles on dash and almost the same amount of HP as my new accord, but I was getting much better MPG there... :(

Attachments

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
I also drive in NYC and driving in the city give abysmal gas mileage. It's a heavy car, can't be helped. Why are you using premium, just use tier 1 gas, don't piss away your money. If you have too much I'll let you send to my paypal account. Only the V6 benefits from premium.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,610 Posts
I also drive in NYC and driving in the city give abysmal gas mileage. It's a heavy car, can't be helped. Why are you using premium, just use tier 1 gas, don't piss away your money. If you have too much I'll let you send to my paypal account. Only the V6 benefits from premium.
My V6 shows benefit from premium fuel at all.

·
Banned
546 Posts
The V6s don't really show any "benefit" from premium. Proof? My V6 with 162k on her can get 36 mpg on the highway and 26 in town on regular grade fuel, and only shows improvement if I go to 100% gas (ethanol free) fuel.

To the OP: That's normal for the car, so don't go wasting money on stuff trying to boost your city MPG. These cars (I4 and V6) shine on the hwy, not so much in town.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I read in manual only use premium gas. :) Thanks for your advice will try regular from now on.
I can't imagine what owners manual you were reading, but the owners manual that comes with the 2009 Accord Sedan states:

"Your vehicle is designed to operate
on unleaded gasoline with a pump
octane number of 87 or higher. Use
of a lower octane gasoline can cause
a persistent, heavy, metallic rapping
noise that can lead to engine damage."

That is regular octane gasoline, not premium.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't imagine what owners manual you were reading, but the owners manual that comes with the 2009 Accord Sedan states:

you are right! I must have misunderstood :thmsup:

·
Registered
190 Posts

87 is mid grade here and in some other places. Do those of you who live in areas with 85 stick with 87 or do you just use the cheapest (85)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts