Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a very nice 2013 Honda Accord EX-L. I like the car very much and the gas mileage has been better than expected. This car has the Nav package in it. There is only one complaint I have . The tire noise is way above what I would call reasonable. I am somewhat surprised at this . I used to have a Nissan Maxima and there was no road noise at all. My only complain with it was the excessive noise at hiway speeds from the CVT transmission. The Accord does not have this issue. I am thinking that maybe it's mostly the original tires which have about 30k on them. Maybe a good set of Michelins would help a lot. Any comments on this? If I can alleviate at least a good share of the noise, then I feel this is the perfect car. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah the tires could be needing to go. I know some tires get really loud after about 20k.

Anyway, welcome to the Accord forum!

·
Registered
624 Posts
good luck with your Accord! And what tires are on your vehicle?? Honda uses different brands

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
The car came with Goodyear Assurance tires. They look pretty well worn after only 29K.
Try Michelin Primacy, its what the 17s use to come with... way more quiet and smooth ride.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Also I have the Michelin Primacy MX4s on my 2015 Touring Very nice and quiet ride. Some of the tires that Honda uses are quite poor quality. Sad but true.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll give that a try for sure. Has anyone taken further measures to cut down on road noise? I did have the front fender wells done with some sound deadening stuff but really no change after that.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have Goodyear LS2's on my V6 Coupe & don't like them. I asked dealer to swap w/Michelin's but there were zero 18" in stock at the time. I even walked the lot w/Sales Manager & struck out. Good luck

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Is your ANC turned on?
It's my understanding that (1) ANC is on any time the engine is running, unless the owner has hardwire-disabled it, and (2) it is to reduce low frequency engine and powertrain noise. To my knowledge it does not help much with higher frequency noise like road noise, wind, and rain. 9th gen Accords are a lot quieter than my '98 Accord and '04 Odyssey, but are still not really quiet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the ANC is on all the time the engine is running. What I hear is definitely coming from the tires . I'll be getting new Michelins very soon as this noise is driving me nuts. I did look at the fender wells. They have been undercoated and inside the engine compartment, there are rubberized pads on the inside of the fender wells . Also on the firewall inside the car. It looks like Honda did a fair job of trying to eliminate any possible noise source. All I can do now is hope the new tires do the trick. My Honda Goldwing motorcycle is quieter than this Accord right now :)

·
King of road noise
33 Posts
My 2010 Accord EXL has so much road noise I can not talk on my phone or talk to my wife on most roads. I am selling it for this reason only. It is just too uncomfortable to drive. The dealer took me to a very smooth black top road to test drive and now I know why. I am not dismantling the car to try to fix the noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts