Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys, this is just my second post on this forum so please be easy on me.

I recently found a noticeable paint chip on the middle of my hood, being a new car any everything I wanted to get it fixed. So I headed over to my local auto shop and bought touch up paint to see if I could fix it myself. I've tried time and time again, the touch up paint doesn't even help it makes it look worse. Any thoughts on how I can fix it? Does anyone know if Honda does a touch up paint service, and how much it would cost? The chip is small but its right in the middle of the hood of a black car so its becomes even more noticeable. I just bought this Accord two weeks ago, I don't want to spend too much on getting it to look brand new again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I got two really nasty chips on my front bumper 2 weeks ago on the freeway so I feel your pain. It's either touch up paint (which doesn't look perfect) or a full respray of the hood. It would be good if you could post a photo to see how bad it is...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Buy the touch up paint from Honda and get the brush style not the pen style. Get a very fine brush from the hobby store and but a drop of paint on a paper plate. Take the brush and trim off some of the bristles until it's about the size of a safety pin. Stick the brush in the paint on the plate and put a drop of paint in the chip. You want just enough paint to fill the chip but not over flow onto the surrounding paint. Then let it dry. It will help if you try and lift the hood so the chip area is level. This will let the paint settle even in the chip and level off. It's never going to look perfect but if you gauge the amount of paint needed to fill the chip without it over flowing onto the surrounding paint it will look pretty damn good once it settles and levels off and drys. Best of luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post the photos, when I get back home. I forgot to add that the that the area around the chip the paint is a little blotchy. Do you think I can go to a dealer and ask them to touch up the paint? I know I don't have the steady hand or patience for it.

Thanks !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also recently got a email from the dealer I bought my accord from. The picture attached. It shows that they offer touch up paint "service". But I don't believe the 8$ charge. What do you think ?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the images, for the chip and the email I was talking about.

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Just to remind you its basically a brand new car and I can't bear seeing that on my hood.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That's a pretty large chip. I don't think you will see a great result from any of the touch up options. I've got like a dozen chips I need to attend to but none close to that large.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the photo I uploaded, kind of makes the chip look a tad bit bigger than it really is. But like I said its a brand new car, and it hurts to see that tiny chip on the hood. OUCH !

Any input would be appreciated. I'm thinking about going to the Honda dealer and asking them if they can touch that up. I hope they don't charge me a fortune.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Cant see your photos, do some research on dr color chip too, it might work for you...

I agree with this guy. I've used the Dr. ColorChip and the application process is easy and really does an excellent job on covering those paint chips. IIRC, there is a video on AutoGeek that shows the process. Check it out before you do anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts