Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I read somewhere in this forum that the paint on the 9th gen is softer than its predecessors.

My 15 EX-L is just 2 months old and I already have multiple nicks on the hood and front bumper. Do you think the dealer might be able to fix them free of charge?

And is it just me or are your 9th gens getting chipped pretty easily as well? I rarely drive high way too.

·
hot garbage
203 Posts
clear bra and call it a day. had one on my previous car for 6 years since new and it was flawless. also have one on my 2013 EXL coupe since day one.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
clear bra and call it a day. had one on my previous car for 6 years since new and it was flawless. also have one on my 2013 EXL coupe since day one.
I'm not too concerned about the bumper but figured that the Aeroskin would be a low cost first attempt to protect the hood before going to the 3M.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
The paint is thin and cheap. We bought a Honda so it is to be expected. Either get a 3M clear film or a bottle of touch up paint and in a couple of years, you'll come to realize that it's just an economy car, nothing special, and so what if the front end is peppered.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
My installer prefers Xpel over 3M and that is what I went with. It is pretty pricey, but after looking at the front of my 2000 Solara that is peppered with chips I felt like it is worth it to me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
no they won't repair for free and yes most of us believe the paint is softer. I am at least convinced it is on both our 2014 Hondas

·
Registered
834 Posts
It happens. The paint is no softer than the previous gens, and I have had multiple black cars in both gens. Blame the EPA and the move away from solvent-based paints. This is not Honda-specific. Move it along. :wave:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Going next Monday to get my xpel stuff installed. Had my subaru with 117k miles on it without a single chip. It's mandatory for any new car i buy nowdays. Price is usually around $650 for basic coverage (Bumper, 24 inches of hood, 24 inches of fender and mirrors. I'm paying right at $1000 to get the whole hood done because in my last car that was the only spot I had issues with. 1 chip about 9 inches past the coverage that I had.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
AVS Aeroskin anyone?
I insalled it the 2nd week I owned my car. I dont have any chips on my hood and I do 70+ miles a day on the thruway. I can see where the Aeroskin has taken a few hits, so IMO its designed right and doing its job.

Jay

·
Registered
333 Posts
The paint is ridiculously thin. You can see how thin when you look at the chip. After reading about it a year ago, I considered having the hood and front clear coated with a few extra coats when it was new, but never did it.

Don't the clear bras look like crap after several years? :paranoid: I've seen older cars with what looks like a clear bra with white cracks all over that looked worse than if the car just had some paint chips up front.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts