Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 325 Posts

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several threads here of the products I suggested. And I get a lot of PM's and emails on the specific links and other stuff to buy to keep your brand new car perfect over a period of years. Attached is the is the PDF "car care" I send out.

If for some reason you don't want to do what I suggest - call Autopia, Detailers Domain or Autogeek and ask them their opinion on your fav brand, I'm sure they sell a polish/sealant combo that gets the job done. BUT DO SOMETHING.....

Mike Phillips - a true pro detailer - says it best "Find something you like and use it often"

Also, I just bought all the stuff for a member to do a basic detail and then maintenance washes - tires/paint/rinseless wash/bucket and applicators: the costs are here for your perusal. Note: waffle weave drying towel not purchased as he had one - add that if you are totally new.

Also, the process done by Todd Helme of Autopia:
http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/blackfire-product-discussion/39153-review-pictures-polish-seal-your-paint-two-hours-blackfire-rapid-fire-combination.html

Note: this process assumes the car is free of rail dust and contaminants - if you have some, you can use some clay with the 1st step dawn detergent to clay the car as you wash, and proceed to step #2.
Enjoy....

Attachments

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
I'm spending quite a bit of time reading the the links in Glen's car care PDF doc. -- very helpful -- plus other sources, and I have a couple of questions at this point.

My car will be built on or about 2/28, and I will take delivery sometime in the first week of March. So, the factory paint will literally only be about one week old.

How long should I wait before applying any of the protective products, like poly sealer/wax, to the factory paint?

Is the answer in the Accord owner's manual? Thanks.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm spending quite a bit of time reading the the links in Glen's car care PDF doc. -- very helpful -- plus other sources, and I have a couple of questions at this point.

My car will be built on or about 2/28, and I will take delivery sometime in the first week of March. So, the factory paint will literally only be about one week old.

How long should I wait before applying any of the protective products, like poly sealer/wax, to the factory paint?

Is the answer in the Accord owner's manual? Thanks.
theoretically....it is a base + clear formulation and is baked, so it should be "outgassed" and ready to wax by the time it gets to you. But it probably would not hurt to wait 10 days or so to make sure. You would have no problem using a sealant like crystal seal right away after a wash. But the polish part, you can wait on...as the polish will take the seal back off to start anew...put this question on the autopia forums for a good answer....if you get none - dial the autopia number and ask for Todd Helme - great guy and very knowledgeable....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Awesome write-up, Glen! :notworthy

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
theoretically....it is a base + clear formulation and is baked, so it should be "outgassed" and ready to wax by the time it gets to you. But it probably would not hurt to wait 10 days or so to make sure. You would have no problem using a sealant like crystal seal right away after a wash. But the polish part, you can wait on...as the polish will take the seal back off to start anew...put this question on the autopia forums for a good answer....if you get none - dial the autopia number and ask for Todd Helme - great guy and very knowledgeable....
Thanks, Glen. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks ! Very Helpful writeup. I will be doing this in the spring, as PA weather can be cold, road salty, and snowy during the winter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks ! Very Helpful writeup. I will be doing this in the spring, as PA weather can be cold, road salty, and snowy during the winter.
I was lucky enough to get intouch with Glen before we really saw snow here on Long Island and went through with this process in December, it was the best thing I could have done for the car. Besides the amazing gloss I got from it the salt comes off in the rain now because of the protectant... I cant wait to do this again in the spring time to get to have a lasting gloss and not have it get covered in the damn salt lol...

this is the link to my write up...its so simple if you dont mind putting in the time to do it

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77982

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was lucky enough to get intouch with Glen before we really saw snow here on Long Island and went through with this process in December, it was the best thing I could have done for the car. Besides the amazing gloss I got from it the salt comes off in the rain now because of the protectant... I cant wait to do this again in the spring time to get to have a lasting gloss and not have it get covered in the damn salt lol...

this is the link to my write up...its so simple if you dont mind putting in the time to do it

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77982
Wow there is a big difference before and after. Since your 'Blackfired" your car in December how it is holding up today? If your car still shiny from the wax?

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you buy any of these products from AutoGeek TODAY they are having a 15% off special, plus orders over $95 will have free shipping. I just bought my Black Fire products from them today as it is a little hard to find these products on sale.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow there is a big difference before and after. Since your 'Blackfired" your car in December how it is holding up today? If your car still shiny from the wax?

its holding up great when I wash the car it feels and looks like the day I did it.. Im sure its gonna need a little work after the winter from all the elements deteriorating it but thats what its there for

·
Registered
121 Posts
I plan on doing this during Spring when the weather is more bearable outside, is there any repercussions if I plan on doing it later rather than sooner?

I plan on purchasing purchasing the Total Polish and Seal, as well as the Paint Sealant, (steps 2&3), is it necessary to wash the vehicle after applying as it's stated in the PDF? Or is that for the next time washing the car?

Thanks a lot.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I plan on doing this during Spring when the weather is more bearable outside, is there any repercussions if I plan on doing it later rather than sooner?

I plan on purchasing purchasing the Total Polish and Seal, as well as the Paint Sealant, (steps 2&3), is it necessary to wash the vehicle after applying as it's stated in the PDF? Or is that for the next time washing the car?

Thanks a lot.
that is for the next time you wash.......the only repercussion is the common sense one, you are letting your paint go exposed until you do it....but there is something to be said for waiting for a day 50 degrees and up with clear skies, too...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi glen e,

This is actually my first time posting, but I've been a member for a while just browsing threads here and there (and have realized your expertise!). So, I have a question for you. I purchased my 2012 Honda Accord LX-P last March and haven't waxed or applied any other products to the paint since. Just hand washed it a few times, so would you still recommend following the pdf guide you created or should I add/remove steps? Thanks.

kapadiakader

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi glen e,

This is actually my first time posting, but I've been a member for a while just browsing threads here and there (and have realized your expertise!). So, I have a question for you. I purchased my 2012 Honda Accord LX-P last March and haven't waxed or applied any other products to the paint since. Just hand washed it a few times, so would you still recommend following the pdf guide you created or should I add/remove steps? Thanks.

kapadiakader
How OCD are you? Are you satisfied with the finish now? if yes, you can just use the sheet as is....

But if you are not happy with what you have now, and can see swirls and scratches, they will have to be cleared up first -if you have no expertise or power buffers, pads, etc, I suggest taking it to a detailer or body shop and have him prep the car for 100 or so...

·
Registered
10 Posts
How OCD are you? Are you satisfied with the finish now? if yes, you can just use the sheet as is....

But if you are not happy with what you have now, and can see swirls and scratches, they will have to be cleared up first -if you have no expertise or power buffers, pads, etc, I suggest taking it to a detailer or body shop and have him prep the car for 100 or so...
Well, I'm pretty OCD about wanting it to look as flawless as I can make it. Having said that, my paint does look very clean as of now and has no swirls (thank god) so I guess I will just go along with the methods prescribed on the sheet. Thanks buddy! I'll be sure to post pics once I complete it :)

·
Retired from Car Biz....
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I'm pretty OCD about wanting it to look as flawless as I can make it. Having said that, my paint does look very clean as of now and has no swirls (thank god) so I guess I will just go along with the methods prescribed on the sheet. Thanks buddy! I'll be sure to post pics once I complete it :)
my ph # is on the sheet, I take about 5 calls a week on this...don't hesitate to call....

1 - 20 of 325 Posts