Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my Magnaflow catback but I've always thought the tips were too large for the car, almost approaching fart can in size. Magnaflow makes a nice oval tip which would fit the car better and look more like the stock ones but they've always been too expensive. But not quite a year ago someone on Amazon had them on clearance I and got a pair for about $40. Yay me. Then the issue became getting them on the car. The tips are pretty much welded directly to the muffler, there isn't much room there to attach them to once the round ones were cut off. But I've become friends with a guy who runs a rod shop who was willing to do the job so we got that done today. In general, we cut off the tips half-way between the back edge of the tip pipe and the muffler and buttwelded the new tips on the muffler outlets. We fiddled and fiddled with things to get the tips properly oriented in the bumper cutouts and I think it turned out pretty well.

The old.

The new.

Side by side tip comparisons.

Parting shot from the side.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure they added at least 15-20 HP too. ;)

Well that's odd. The opening through the new tips is the same as the old tips but I'd swear the idle and cruise sound is more mellow (which I don't mind actually). Still sounds the same at hard acceleration, just sounds quieter everywhere else. Not a huge change mind you, just enough to notice. Or to imagine.....

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,691 Posts
Have you thought about painting the inside, so it's not so obvious that there is a small pipe inside the tip?

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,732 Posts
Well that's odd. The opening through the new tips is the same as the old tips but I'd swear the idle and cruise sound is more mellow (which I don't mind actually). Still sounds the same at hard acceleration, just sounds quieter everywhere else. Not a huge change mind you, just enough to notice. Or to imagine.....
I was waiting for you to tell us how the sound changed.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you thought about painting the inside, so it's not so obvious that there is a small pipe inside the tip?
Yes, actually. But I'm not sure what kind of paint I can get that will adhere to shiny stainless steel.

I was waiting for you to tell us how the sound changed.
A change in sound really doesn't make much sense but I swear it is slightly quieter. Maybe the original tips were acting as kind of a megaphone?

And back to the original MF tips, I didn't hate them, they were just too large. They are 4 inches across. A 3 inch tip or an oval one like I installed would have fit the car much better. The tips on my GTO are 4 inches across and they fit the car, 4 inch tips on the Accord are just too big, too bordering on ricey.

·
Legitimate hack
1,415 Posts
If you scratch up the inside well enough with a rough enough grit of sandpaper, you can definitely shoot some high temp flat black paint in there and it should stick. Maybe something in the 200 grit range?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a little follow up. I painted the inside of the tips as well as the back panel of the mufflers flat black with a high heat paint. We'll see if it sticks over the long haul.

·
Watchin u in my rearview
19 Posts
With all the Black Friday sales this week I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust. Could you please share your experience with your Magnaflow catback... Is it much louder than stock (interior and exterior sound)? Any drone? Does this kit replace the stock resonators with high flow ones? Any performance gains? Thanks!
Btw imo the oval tips look better than the bigger round ones you replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With all the Black Friday sales this week I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust. Could you please share your experience with your Magnaflow catback... Is it much louder than stock (interior and exterior sound)? Any drone? Does this kit replace the stock resonators with high flow ones? Any performance gains? Thanks!
Btw imo the oval tips look better than the bigger round ones you replaced.

The MF exhaust replaces everything from the J-pipe back. That includes the factory resonator. MF uses a smaller high flow resonator. In normal driving it is only slightly louder than stock. At WOT it is quite a bit louder than stock. Refer to the videos. No drone. Performance gains? No clue, doubtful. Sounds better though. Biggest performance gains came from a KTuner tune.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts