Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing my brake pads and rotors change on my 05 LX I noticed that I did not have to retract the pistons. I just put the calipers back in place without retracting the pistons. I usually have to push the pistons back with a C-clamp but not this time. Are my calipers stuck or brake hoses tossed? This happened on both front L/R. The new brakes and rotors work fine just a little creaking sound. Has anyone seen this before. I just thought it's kinda strange.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what I replaced with:

CENTRIC 12040036 (120.40036)
AKEBONO ACT914

I also noticed the rotors are running hot. Looks like something is seized. I lubricated all caliper pins, shims, and hardware. This happens with AdvanceAutoParts pads and rotors as well as Raybestos rotors and pads. Like I said the car stop good just the annoying creaking sound at speed below 20 MPH.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Did you have the brake cover reservoir off and do a proper brake bleeding or not?

Unless the old pads were used less than 200 miles, you should have had to retract the front pistons with a C-clamp; unless you had no brake fluid in there at all.

As WDHewson stated- something may be sized differently.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Something is very wrong here. Either you have new rotors which are much thinner than the rotors you took off, or your front brakes aren't working. Could that creaking sound be your brakes overheating? Does your car feel like it's bogging down?

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
Never heard of such thing before.

The new pads are thicker. Old pads wore down, so the piston is pushed out far. You have to compress the piston in order to fit in the new thicker pads.

·
Registered
68 Posts
While doing my brake pads and rotors change on my 05 LX I noticed that I did not have to retract the pistons. I just put the calipers back in place without retracting the pistons. I usually have to push the pistons back with a C-clamp but not this time. Are my calipers stuck or brake hoses tossed? This happened on both front L/R. The new brakes and rotors work fine just a little creaking sound. Has anyone seen this before. I just thought it's kinda strange.
Hate to say it, but it sounds like the calipers are sticking. Typical signs of that are squeaky or creaking sounds at low speeds. You may want to check the thickness of the replacement rotors too, but it sounds like Calipers are probably going to be in your future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts