Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have had our car about a month now and it still has the smell we encountered when we picked up the car. Since we were in a snowy and ice spell I did not test drive this car very far and it was extremely cold so I did not notice this odor at the time. I did drive another EX for testing purposes before we placed the order.

The dealership was adding a lot of extras so we did not get the car for 3 weeks (waiting on parts, installing the parts and taking to the paint shop to have some flat black pieces painted to match the car).

I was taking my vitamins this morning and while taking the fish oil capsule I encountered almost the exact smell. It is not very pleasant in case you have never smelled fish oil capsules before.

We are still having snow and ice so I am taking it to a friends garage since we only have a 2 car garage and 3 vehicles. We have had snow on the ground for several weeks now and the roads have only cleared for a day or two at a time and there is always the salt residue present.

Here is a link to the product I used in case anyone is interested:

http://www.nocousa.com/pdf/Noco-Catalog-Chemicals.pdf

Has anyone else encountered this smell and if so how long did it take to go away? We are going to buy a scent remover to see if that will help.

Thanks for any help that is forthcoming.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Off-gassing will take a while in the cold. It is the smell of hundreds of chemicals that off-gas.

·
Elvira
3,585 Posts
We have had our car about a month now and it still has the smell we encountered when we picked up the car. Since we were in a snowy and ice spell I did not test drive this car very far and it was extremely cold so I did not notice this odor at the time. I did drive another EX for testing purposes before we placed the order.

The dealership was adding a lot of extras so we did not get the car for 3 weeks (waiting on parts, installing the parts and taking to the paint shop to have some flat black pieces painted to match the car).

I was taking my vitamins this morning and while taking the fish oil capsule I encountered almost the exact smell. It is not very pleasant in case you have never smelled fish oil capsules before.

We are still having snow and ice so I am taking it to a friends garage since we only have a 2 car garage and 3 vehicles. We have had snow on the ground for several weeks now and the roads have only cleared for a day or two at a time and there is always the salt residue present.

Has anyone else encountered this smell and if so how long did it take to go away? We are going to buy a scent remover to see if that will help.

If what you are talking about is an acrid smell (yes similar to fish oil) I have been told that it could be the oil left on the engine after manufacture (not engine oil). Mine went away after about 7 months from 12/12. Same as you I didn't drive as much during winter but when I drove a long distance and got the engine hot, there was the smell.

It does go away eventually.

Miker

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Not much you can do other than run the ventilation fan on high when you drive.

Or if you have a garage, then park the car with windows down and run a large fan blowing air through the cabin area.

Once it warms up, the heat from the sun will help bake out these smells.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drop a few bombs and it will cover it up
Thanks for adding some much needed levity to the situation. Thanks for all of the advice. I feel a little better about the situation. I do leave the windows down all of the time it is in the garage, but have not tried the fan trick.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
The fan may bring those smells into the vent ducts though. Try carefully hiding a small container of baking soda in the car. It has to be open. Arm & Hammer sells it in a little orange box. It's known to absorb odors and many folks buy it just for that purpose. Change it monthly.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
I picked my car up in February of last year and I never noticed anything, except the usual new car smell that I'm sure car manufacturers have concocted to make car buyers lose their sense of judgement and believe that they must have a new car now.

·
Wish i cud piss 93 octane
40 Posts
I'm in South Florida. Even my wife and I noticed the smell from the front end when we got home after a10 minute drive home from the dealer. Even though it was a bit chilly, it didnt take more than a couple of days to get rid of the smell. I think its the extremely cold weather up north which is why the time prriod is so extended. Try taking a long drive though it should help.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
drop a few bombs and it will cover it up
Good point, OP is a pilot, and knows well the feats of Billy Mitchell and what a good bombing can do....

Transport moonshine and other contraband to throw off the off-gassing smell.....in a hot climate, of course.

·
Registered
241 Posts

We are still having snow and ice so I am taking it to a friends garage since we only have a 2 car garage and 3 vehicles. We have had snow on the ground for several weeks now and jthe roads have only cleared for a day or two at a time and there is always the salt residue lpresent.

Here is a link to the product I used in case anyone is interested:

http://www.nocousa.com/pdf/Noco-Catalog-Chemicals.pdf

I have had this type of smell in 2 Hondas. This smell will disappear! Mine did. You will be left with a pleasant new car smell.:thmsup:

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Here is my take on the '14 Sport smell.

·
Banned
33 Posts

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am going to put the dryer sheets and the baking soda in the car now. We use the baking soda in our refrigerator to keep down the odor anyway.

It is not an antifreeze leak as I have become very familiar with that smell over the years.

Actually I am not a pilot, I just love flying. I joined the local pilots association and they take me up several times a year and all of them let me actually fly the plane. I do not land or take off however.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am going to put the dryer sheets and the baking soda in the car now. We use the baking soda in our refrigerator to keep down the odor anyway.

It is not an antifreeze leak as I have become very familiar with that smell over the years.

Actually I am not a pilot, I just love flying. I joined the local pilots association and they take me up several times a year and all of them let me actually fly the plane. I do not land or take off however.
Both my kids experienced flying planes in our local club several years ago. it was thrilling for them.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
I've been flying since I was 14 years old (gliders). Soloed in a Cessna 152 at 15, a week after my brother.

It's not too late to talk to a CFI and get licensed!

Funny, but a lot of my brother's fellow USAF pilot buddies drive Acuras.....it is a natural fit.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
There was another thread on here awhile ago about getting certain odors out of the car and somebody suggested putting a new bar of soap (or two) under the seats. Keeping the windows cracked or rolled down in the garage is a great way, too. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There was another thread on here awhile ago about getting certain odors out of the car and somebody suggested putting a new bar of soap (or two) under the seats. Keeping the windows cracked or rolled down in the garage is a great way, too. Hope this helps!
I saw that thread and they were trying to eliminate cigarette odors. I posted this there and never got a reply so I tried opening a new thread since it was a different odor and it has worked pretty well.

They recommended a product called Ozium which sounded like just what I needed, but after some research I found it might be a health hazard to use it.

RickBlaine, I have health issues and could not pass the required physical to get a pilot's license. Since I am retired I also did not allow enough retirement money to be able to fly. With the pilots I know I split the fuel costs with them which makes it more affordable for both of us plus some of them don't have anyone to fly with them. I would have that problem if I were a pilot as my wife hates to fly. She does tolerate my flying very well and even lets me fly on the old WW II War Birds.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts