Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been discussed here or not but I am curious about the new Honda DW-1 ATF. Based on MSDS, it may not be synthetic (at least for the US market). In fact, the flash point of DW-1 and Z1 is identical. The flash point is always higher for a synthetic oil. The only difference is that the DW-1 has lower viscosity at lower temperature compared to Z1. Both the Mobile 1 & Redline D4 ATF has flash point that is 66 degrees higher than the DW-1 & Z1 ATF.

ATF FLASH POINT
DW-1: 170C
Z1: 170C

Mobile 1: 236C
Redline D4: 236C
AMSOil: 234C
Royal Purple: 216C

I have two Accords and an Odyssey. I run Redline D4 on one Accord and the other two has Mobile 1 ATF. Mobile 1 no longer list Honda Z1 on the container. I am not a chemist but considering the history of Honda Transmissions, I will take any Synthetic with higher flash point (thus more protection) over conventional Honda ATF.

What is interesting is that the Honda engine oil is made by Mobile! If I am not mistaken, I think the Honda Oil can actually has Mobile written on it.

Any thought?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure if this has been discussed here or not but I am curious about the new Honda DW-1 ATF. Based on MSDS, it may not be synthetic (at least for the US market). In fact, the flash point of DW-1 and Z1 is identical. The flash point is always higher for a synthetic oil. The only difference is that the DW-1 has lower viscosity at lower temperature compared to Z1. Both the Mobile 1 & Redline D4 ATF has flash point that is 66 degrees higher than the DW-1 & Z1 ATF.

DW-1: 170C
Z1: 170C

Mobile 1: 236C
Redline D4: 236C
AMSoil: 234C
Royal Purple: 216C

I have two Accords and an Odyssey. I run Redline D4 on one Accord and the other two has Mobile 1 ATF. Mobile 1 no longer list Honda Z1 on the container. I am not a chemist but considering the history of Honda Transmissions, I will take any Synthetic with higher flash point (thus more protection) over conventional Honda ATF.

What is interesting is that the Honda engine oil is made by Mobile! If I am not mistaken, I think the Honda Oil can actually has Mobile written on it.

Any thought?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
You are probably right about it not being synthetic. Honda doesn't claim that it's synthetic. At least nothing on the bottle indicates it. If you haven't already, you might want to read this thread:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48977

Among other things it should clear up that Mobil no longer makes Honda's oils.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've run the Mobil 1 fully synthetic ATF on my wife's 05 Accord LX I4 since it turned 15,000 miles. I've changed it every 15,000, and getting ready to do it's 90,000 service. I'm also changing the in line filter at the same intervals.

I know this is overkill, and it "may" not even extend the life of the tranny, but by gosh, it'll be clean inside when I do finally have to tear it down someday. :thmsup:

-R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts