Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Newb with old accord
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, new here. i have a 2005 Accord EX V6 and would like to get this:

i already have the key housing in the link above, and my OEM key housing has just cracked so i'd like to get it installed. Is it a straight forward move the interior remote into the new housing and get the key cut at any locksmith?

please let me know what i need to do to get my key working in that new housing in the link

·
Super Moderator
3,502 Posts
You will have to transfer the immobilizer chip as well. It is embedded in a compartment on the original FOB. It is glued in so you will need something to pry it out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i have that exact key...not as good quality as OEM...but gets the job done plus 1/3 of the price....I recommend it! BTW...getting that immobilizer chip out was a PITA!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here are the pics of the surgery I did with that same flip key. Also make sure the Honda dealer cut it using the vin number.

·
Newb with old accord
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ thanks for the pics, so the only way to succesfully transfer the remote over, you need to break the original housing?

and by transponder, do you mean that block with the 3 buttons u press to lock/unlock the doors?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The transponder is quite easy to get out. No need to ruin your key like everyone else. Dont know why it was so hard for everyone. All i did was take an exacto knife and cut it where the red marks are all the way down the side, then used a small flathead and pulled it out. Now if i ever need to use the fob key i can just reinsert the transponder with couple dabs of glue. :thmsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
^^^ damn thats a nice job you did getting that little chip out...my OEM key shell was cracked so i didn't need to be as careful...however as I was doing it, I thought there was no way of taking out the chip with damaging the shell...good job indeed sir!

·
Registered
88 Posts
question for ya...for that new key that you got, did you have to get the key cut again? Or was it the same as the flip key posted by the OP...i really like the one you posted and am looking to update, however I dont want to pay to get the key cut again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ya i had to get it cut. All the ones i know come with blank keys so must be cut. It was $20 to cut it at the local Acura dealership.

·
6th Gear
691 Posts
The transponder is quite easy to get out. No need to ruin your key like everyone else. Dont know why it was so hard for everyone. All i did was take an exacto knife and cut it where the red marks are all the way down the side, then used a small flathead and pulled it out. Now if i ever need to use the fob key i can just reinsert the transponder with couple dabs of glue. :thmsup:
Thanks for sharing the info w/ photo! That is very helpful.

·
Newb with old accord
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i called 2 local dealers, one said they they won't cut it because the last time they tried it didn't work, and the other one said that they can and it will cost $30 and there is no guarantee that it will work

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need Help

Hey guys, I tried to do the Flip Key, transfer the switch and the transponder. But when I inserted the key, it will not release the key from the ignition. H*ly sh*t i need help. I followed every step. Let me try to disconnect the Battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry for the thread revival, but just wanted to state I got this done on my 7th gen, all key guts transfered, and no start-up issues (so I guess the distance from transponder to receiver isn't a problem).

The style was this type: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Uncut-blank-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2674358d
The key blade ended up a bit rougher than OEM, and sometimes it pops open in my pocket but overall it's a nice change to the key chain.

As for cutting options in Toronto, Home Depot wouldn't cut it nor would CanTire IIRC.
A couple local dealerships quoted $25, although one needed proof of ownership while the other didn't, a third wouldn't cut third party keys.

Hope this helps people!

·
Ceeeeej
21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought mine from a guy on Ebay. It is an OEM key and they cut it for me. He can also transplant the chip for $15 but he mentions making three incisions (not sure if he takes the shell off first). Would it be difficult for me to find a dealer to program an already cut key?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts