Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everybody! New to the forums so I'll just be lurking around to see how this forums works.

Just picked up a 2015 V6 Touring last week and already put 500miles and so far so good. Little back story, I came from a 2012 VW GTI Autobahn and that was a great car, but I needed something a bit more reliable. I put about 56k miles on it in its almost 3 years of ownership. So I know this car will hold up far past that worry and trouble free. Before that I traded in my 2009 Civic Ex 4 door and decided to try something else when I got tired of it. The fun lasted for awhile that's what the GTI was for. I miss it, but let's just say I won't be back into another VW for a few more years or maybe decades lol!

Just a quick question so I put about 500 miles on it and the oil life is already at 90%? Is that normal? Thanks for the help and looking forward to getting to know everything I can about this car.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Welcome! I always loved the way that era of GTIs looked. Honestly, I could have been tempted to buy one of those instead of an Accord, but I just can't get comfortable with VWs after hearing so many horror stories about their reliability.

What's up everybody! New to the forums so I'll just be lurking around to see how this forums works.

Just picked up a 2015 V6 Touring last week and already put 500miles and so far so good. Little back story, I came from a 2012 VW GTI Autobahn and that was a great car, but I needed something a bit more reliable. I put about 56k miles on it in its almost 3 years of ownership. So I know this car will hold up far past that worry and trouble free. Before that I traded in my 2009 Civic Ex 4 door and decided to try something else when I got tired of it. The fun lasted for awhile that's what the GTI was for. I miss it, but let's just say I won't be back into another VW for a few more years or maybe decades lol!

Just a quick question so I put about 500 miles on it and the oil life is already at 90%? Is that normal? Thanks for the help and looking forward to getting to know everything I can about this car.
Yes. It's just an algorithm; it's not actually measuring any particular properties of the oil. Based on your engine, driving style, etc., you may well only go 5k before the maintenance minder light comes on. That's especially true in a V6; seems like they tend to have shorter oil change intervals than I4s. Of course, some actual V6 owners would be more authoritative on the matter than me. I'm just shouting from the peanut gallery.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Howzit 808,

Another honolulu member here. Congrats on the touring. I was looking for a silver touring when I bought mine but none on the island at time of purchase. Ended up with an ex-l v6.

My oil life was exactly the same as yours. Btw, if you looking to mod yours, let me know, I got some extra parts laying around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! I always loved the way that era of GTIs looked. Honestly, I could have been tempted to buy one of those instead of an Accord, but I just can't get comfortable with VWs after hearing so many horror stories about their reliability.

Yes. It's just an algorithm; it's not actually measuring any particular properties of the oil. Based on your engine, driving style, etc., you may well only go 5k before the maintenance minder light comes on. That's especially true in a V6; seems like they tend to have shorter oil change intervals than I4s. Of course, some actual V6 owners would be more authoritative on the matter than me. I'm just shouting from the peanut gallery.
Thank you! Yes I still think it looks pretty good compared to the new mk7 that just came out. The reliability for me was 70/30, 70 good, 30 bad. It was a love and hate relationship with that thing.

Haha ok good that sounds great. A relative of mine had a 09 TL with the Sh-awd 6 speed manual with the HFPF package and that thing took in oil like there was no tomorrow. I was hoping it wasn't coming to that so thanks for the clarification! The oil in this car at the moment is it synthetic by any chance or is it just plain old regular oil? Thanks again man.

Howzit 808,

Another honolulu member here. Congrats on the touring. I was looking for a silver touring when I bought mine but none on the island at time of purchase. Ended up with an ex-l v6.

My oil life was exactly the same as yours. Btw, if you looking to mod yours, let me know, I got some extra parts laying around.
Howzit bro,

Awesome! I wanted the white orchid pearl, but the dealership said it was sold... but I still see it listed on the site. Haha oh well I'm happy with the black pearl it's just gonna be tough to keep clean. My Gti was dark blue so I guess it's the same when it comes to keeping it clean.

When do you do the first oil change? And is there a break in period with the car. I'm trying not to go over 60 but that's not happening I'm capping it off at 65 and there's still people flying by me, unreal brah.

Awesome. Hopefully by the end of this month I'm putting on the Sport Rims, the decklid spoiler and I'm not too sure on the splash guard set? Lol, I don't know much about tuning, but I'm contemplating the Takeda intake, still I'm not sure yet on that either lol. Anyways, Thanks man. Looking forward to seeing you around.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. Just drive the bad boy (within reason) and you are good to go. Many posters (myself included) have noticed the V6 will use a little oil within the first oil chage interval. There is break in oil in there called moly or something like that which may be a factor. After the first change no issues. On the V6 5k-6k is most likely when the MM will remind you of an oil change. The 4cyls. can go much farther.

You will probably have questions about the VCM, rough downshifts, throttle response, a really short 1st gear, etc. It's all there in this forum and very helpful.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Where the heck do you folks that live on Oahu drive? Not enough space for long road trips for me!! 48,000+ on my 2013 since 6/1/2013!!

·
Registered
485 Posts

6 Months, 2500 Miles I am at 50%. So sounds about right.

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,471 Posts
Welcome and Congrats on the Touring. Ballerrrrrrrrr haha j/p. =)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where the heck do you folks that live on Oahu drive? Not enough space for long road trips for me!! 48,000+ on my 2013 since 6/1/2013!!
Haha! Work and school and lots of beach days and around the island with friends and family. Hopefully there won't be that much on this new car in 3 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats on your new ride. Just drive the bad boy (within reason) and you are good to go. Many posters (myself included) have noticed the V6 will use a little oil within the first oil chage interval. There is break in oil in there called moly or something like that which may be a factor. After the first change no issues. On the V6 5k-6k is most likely when the MM will remind you of an oil change. The 4cyls. can go much farther.

You will probably have questions about the VCM, rough downshifts, throttle response, a really short 1st gear, etc. It's all there in this forum and very helpful.
Thank you very much! I'm currently hunting down all that info right at the moment. I know the VCM is funky I've driven a 2010 Accord V6 for a couple months (borrowed a relatives ride) and noticed that thing kicks in kinda rough. Idk if that's the way to word it, but other than that this generation is an overall improvement! Minus a few tiny things here and there that didn't carry over from the 8th gen.

On a side note I know I'll have to look around, but do you know why the so called, "premium sound system," in this thing doesn't sound so premium? Coming from my previous ride with a slightly better than average system (Dynaudio) this thing just lacks something that I can't quite tune right.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
849 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also about the sound on the premium. This sounds crazy, but what makes it sound so bad is the rear deck rattle. From the trunk I shoved a shop towel in between the rear plastic deck and the sheet metal that lines the trunk pretty much right under the rear deck brake light, and much, much better sound is produced. It keeps it from rattling at least and as far as I'm concerned it worked for my music needs. I have a 15' EX-L V6.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts