Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all im a new member i joined today i've been a honda driver since i was a little insect (mostly accords) i wanted to join a forum but wanted to be on the right one i've seen many online but not of my liking ,tht been said i hope we can get along as honda owners/drivers

ok lets go down to business

i currently own a 2002 accord sedan lx 4cyl 5MT since i bought it i noticed that the brakes where kinda spongy didnt like the feel of it but i replaced the front rotors and pads but not calipers bled the system good (keep in mind i do not have abs) i still feel the same spongy feel of the pedal and no matter how hard i step on the brakes it wont lock up the wheels that was weird so i check again and the front driver side
caliper is leaking fluid just a tiny bit and since then i wanted to change both calipers my question is (the brakes rotors and pads are not more than 6mths old) should i replace the brake calipers for new ones? should i do a swap of bigger calipers with rotors?
and if i do a swap what kinda and what parts would i need.
thx all for your help and have a great day :smile

·
Cruising in Montana
3,687 Posts
How old is the brake fluid? If it's never been changed (and it probably hasn't), change it, and fix the leak.

Why change the fluid? It absorbs water, which leads to rust inside the brake lines and reduced boiling point.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
If this were my car I would rebuild the calipers you have, as it is not that hard. I would also replace the rubber brake lines with Stainless steel brake lines. If the piston is in good shape, then the cost is less than $5 each side. You should replace the brake fluid as well, you may also have a bad master cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
5,580 Posts
OP, I'd say to check all the rubber brake lines for breaks first and replace any lines if necessary. If all brake lines are good, then go ahead and either rebuild or replace the calipers as previously suggested.

How old is the brake fluid? If it's never been changed (and it probably hasn't), change it, and fix the leak.

Why change the fluid? It absorbs water, which leads to rust inside the brake lines and reduced boiling point.
OP did bleed the brake fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi thx all for the replies me and my friend flushed brake fluid less than a year ago and i've checked all brake lines because we replaced the rear hard lines where connects to the drums so i look at the front ones and are in good shape and if its the master cylinder how do i change it thx

·
Clermont, FL
206 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts