Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I just plunged into the Honda automobile ownership. I have owned honda motorcycles and small engines and they are great. That being said i found a 2000 Honda Accord for sale and bought it for 5k. I picked it up with 40k on clock. I read all about it this model after i purchased it and found out that this model has transmission failures up the wazoo. To counteract this immediately installed a transmission cooler and changed the tranny fluid. It now has 50k on the clock and tranny fluid is changed every 10k. I have also ordered a tranny filter and will install it asap. Now i have not experienced any transmission issues with this car except that i feel the shifts. Its not shifting hard or slipping or anything of like but i can litterly feel the shifts in it, again not any thuds or very pronounced but i can just feel it. I guess my main question is, should i dump this car or should i keep it. I do love it as it is the cleanest car i have ever owned, its got the sunroof the leather, cruise auto everything and it drives awesome. with these modifications to the tranny that ive done can i expect to get 100k out of the current tranny? If so then ill definately keep it, and get another tranny when it goes out.

Second question i have is one random day i was driving it and the SRS light came on. After doing some research it appears that there was a recall on this as well, but of course im out of the warranty date. Any ideas on what this is and or how to fix it. I got this car for the girlfriend so she can go to vet school (leaves Aug 2014). She was paying 325 a month lease on a Nissan Sentra, and i was like your out of your damn mind. She now pays me 200 a month for this until shes paid me off (2yrs 1 month), but i dont want her to have to pay another 2k for a tranny. FYI we have owned the car for 9 months now without any real problems, but are on track to putting 15k a year on the clock.

What is everyones general opinion with this? what would you do if you were me?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What engine do you have in your 2000 EX, V6 or I4? The V6 transmissions have a higher failure rate than the 4 cylinders. I've got 160+k miles on my 2000 SE I4 and never had any transmission problems, but I change ATF (Maxlife) every 20-30k and it has a Magnefine filter added (no aux cooler). Feeling the shifts is a good thing in my book. It means there is minimal slippage of the clutches which promotes longer life.

The SRS light is often caused by the seat belt buckle switch getting dirty. There is no "recall" but Honda has been covering that with their lifetime safety belt warranty. Problem is Honda wants to charge a diagnostic fee to read the SRS codes. If they find the seat belt is the problem, they usually waive the fee.
There is a DIY SRS light reset procedure somewhere on this forum and on Youtube. You could reset the light and see if it comes back on when you buckle the seat belts, thus pinpointing the cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry i forgot to mention that it is a 6 cyl. and the filter is a magnafine as well that i will put into it this weekend.

correction on the seatbelt it was a recall but rather a technical bulletin for SRS unit. It is definately possible that it is the seatbelt. I was debating on bringing it into the dealer or just trying to reset the lite. I will more than likely reset the light and try plugging in the seatbelt and see if it triggers it like you suggested.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.