Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello forum friends,

I just purchased a 2006 Honda Accord EX V6 6-speed coupe from a colleague with 144,xxx miles. He has owned since new and car came from just outside Buffalo, NY (I live in Michigan).

Updates include: timing belt, water pump, drive belt, new tensioners (the whole timing belt kit) rear brakes, new holes threaded to attach license plate, manual trans fluid replace, coolant flush and new clean air hose.

Just wanted to pop in and say hello and let everyone know one thing: the original owner never had the timing belt replaced, I know it was supposed to be changed at 105,000 miles but I had it done immediately.

Timing belt showed no signs that it would break soon, but the back side was completely smoothed (like glass) and all the labels were worn off.

Just wanted to let everyone know this status and also that salty roads are the devil! Carriage bolts on rear brakes snapped off when trying to remove, license plates were not even attached, just corroded onto the old steel screws. Guess I will be switching to stainless each time I have to replace something.

Also, 6-disc changer appears to misbehave in extreme heat, I loaded some CDs in last weekend and immediately got "MECH ERROR" which I thought meant I was going to need to go 'Office Space' on the radio (which I was hoping to avoid). Instead I waited overnight and went out to the car in the garage a few morning later and removed the CDs with no problem. All were store bought, no labels and to my knowledge, no warping. One of my next projects will likely be to add an AUX-in cable to back of stock head unit...any tips here? I have a Chilton manual and some YouTube videos to reference.

Please feel free to comment with your thoughts or any feedback you may have from your own experiences. Looking to you guys for help in the future!

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
Nice purchase, keep up with the fluids, and filters. Check for rust and fix it asap. Post pictures NOW. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hah you guys are funny! Sorry I did not post photos immediately, I only have a few so far and one video of the interior which the CMS won't let me upload.
@ChrisQ80, no rust that I can see yet, and fluid overhaul is on my list of maintenance.

Quick question since A. my most recent Honda was a lease and B. my last Honda before that was from the 1990s, how/does the car notify you of service intervals? Is it the check engine light or something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
congrats on your purchase

there is Maintenance Indicator light that will come on

i would suggest and do keep my own schedule on when to perform routine Maintenance

there are threads about how to turn off the light when it comes on, pretty simple process

if i remember correctly hold down the button coming out from your Gauge Dash Cluster while having key in OFF position, turn to ACC or ON and keep holding it down until the light disappears

1 - 11 of 11 Posts