Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know me here, I have been on this board last few months as I was thinking of selling my 2006 BMW 330ci. I learned a lot here including the pros & cons of the I4 Coupe vs the V6 model. My wife and I test drove both last week & just looked at each other and said for us, the V6 is a relative bargain for the extra $2.4k vs. the I-4 EXL.

Wasn't sure at first about loving the 6 speed Automatic w/paddle shifters, but after 2 days I love it. Some have stated here it downshifts a lot, yes it does but I like that because almost feels like I'm driving a manual. Also in sport mode, I can put in in any gear I want & hold it like a manual, I think the paddle shifters work great & are responsive. In "D" mode the pick up is pretty good, but in "S" mode it's exremely strong. Also like the firm but yet little softer ride vs my BMW plus it handles fairly well. Also really like the interior and the I-MID interactive screen & message board. Seats are very comfortable and firm, but not too much. So far MPG is 26 back & forth to work, primarily country roads and 5-6 miles on 2 local NJ state highways. My BMW 6-speed manual was always 27.5-28 mpg for same trip. But of course was broken in already, plus took premium fuel, that cost me ~ 40 cents more per Gallon on average.

Only gripe is what almost everyone here has stated. For a 7 speaker/360W system with sub-woofer I expected a lot more. But it's adequate, so I won't beat a dead horse; except to Honda... PLEASE upgrade the sound system. Other than that I'm very happy with my choice so far

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well done, and good assessment of the V6. I'd too agree with your description of the seating. So far the seating works well for me, just right, not too soft with just the right amount of firmness in the right places.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The V6 is a good value! Cheers!
I was actually toying with a new BMW 428i Coupe. But it starts at $42k and to get even close to equipment level of V6 EX-L it'd be closer to $50k. I couldn't justify it and my lovely wife would kill me. Though she did say, go for the 428i it if you really want it, but don't say we're tapped out. So I decided the Accord V6 is an excellent alternative & better value

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I was actually toying with a new BMW 428i Coupe. But it starts at $42k and to get even close to equipment level of V6 EX-L it'd be closer to $50k. I couldn't justify it and my lovely wife would kill me. Though she did say, go for the 428i it if you really want it, but don't say we're tapped out. So I decided the Accord V6 is an excellent alternative & better value
Reviewed of the latest BMWs, especially the 5-series, have not been favorable. Probably made the right choice.

jay

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Only gripe is what almost everyone here has stated. For a 7 speaker/360W system with sub-woofer I expected a lot more. But it's adequate, so I won't beat a dead horse; except to Honda... PLEASE upgrade the sound system. Other than that I'm very happy with my choice so far
Nice review. Even though I don't own a V6, I may one day buy one so I'm always interested in hearing how V6 owners like their cars.

I have to agree with you 1000% on the sound system. Before I bought my Accord and was reading the specs, I was psyched to read that it had a 360W sound system WITH a subwoofer. I was thinking, "Finally! Some bass!" but it has turned out to be a disappointment. If you didn't tell me so, I would listen to this system and say it DID NOT have a subwoofer.

I won't go so far as to say it's a total piece of junk, but the sound system really does leave a lot to be desired...especially if this is what Honda is putting in their top trim lines. :dunno:

What's bad is I don't see this as something Honda could fix with a simple software upgrade. No, this would have to be new hardware.

·
Luv2Drum
119 Posts
Paddle shifters what is this of you speak young Accordian?...lol

Congrats on your new ride...good choice going with the Sixer.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,609 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Hope it brings you many happy miles of motoring.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nice review. Even though I don't own a V6, I may one day buy one so I'm always interested in hearing how V6 owners like their cars.

I have to agree with you 1000% on the sound system. Before I bought my Accord and was reading the specs, I was psyched to read that it had a 360W sound system WITH a subwoofer. I was thinking, "Finally! Some bass!" but it has turned out to be a disappointment. If you didn't tell me so, I would listen to this system and say it DID NOT have a subwoofer.

I won't go so far as to say it's a total piece of junk, but the sound system really does leave a lot to be desired...especially if this is what Honda is putting in their top trim lines. :dunno:

What's bad is I don't see this as something Honda could fix with a simple software upgrade. No, this would have to be new hardware.
Congrats yanks...nice color!
I have my car for a year now, I agree about the sound system, I did have the software upgrade, sound was a little better, but much to be desired. Sound systems are not Honda's strong point, in fact, was walking home the other day, passed a new KIA Optima, young woman sitting inside with the sound system blasting with the windows closed, could really hear the bass and sound..made me think that even late to the party Korean makers get the sound system right....cmon' Honda, you could do better than that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats yanks...nice color!
I have my car for a year now, I agree about the sound system, I did have the software upgrade, sound was a little better, but much to be desired. Sound systems are not Honda's strong point, in fact, was walking home the other day, passed a new KIA Optima, young woman sitting inside with the sound system blasting with the windows closed, could really hear the bass and sound..made me think that even late to the party Korean makers get the sound system right....cmon' Honda, you could do better than that.
this software upgrade for audio that you mentioned. Can I assume my late Sept build date for my 2014 already has this?? Love your compare vs a Kia audio system, truly amazing & frustrating for us Accord owners. And I for one absolutley love music, especially classic Rock which is my era

·
Registered
547 Posts
this software upgrade for audio that you mentioned. Can I assume my late Sept build date for my 2014 already has this?? Love your compare vs a Kia audio system, truly amazing & frustrating for us Accord owners. And I for one absolutley love music, especially classic Rock which is my era
Your '14 must have the upgrade, besides it was VIN specific, I got a letter from Honda saying to bring it in. Classic rock is my era too... Had an '03EXLV6 for 10 years, sound system was just ok, was replaced under warranty, face plate fell off, and the 6CD changer broke right after my 7 year extended warranty was up..lol Radio was the most problem area in the 10 years I owned it.
When I test drove the 13 Accord, the salesman had the radio on low, while he was talking, so never got to hear how good or bad the sound system was. I figured, now with 7 speakers--and a sub-woofer, it would sound great..guess I got that wrong.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Audio has never been a Honda strong suit; but love the car so far regardless

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Audio has never been a Honda strong suit; but love the car so far regardless
Not true. In the 80's and 90's Honda's Stereo's sounded much better then others and even offered things like in dash equalizers. The 8th gen stereo in the exl's wasn't bad, but the 9th is horrid. They cheaped out and messed up.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Great looking ride. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with my car.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not true. In the 80's and 90's Honda's Stereo's sounded much better then others and even offered things like in dash equalizers. The 8th gen stereo in the exl's wasn't bad, but the 9th is horrid. They cheaped out and messed up.
^This! The 8th-Gens were head-and-tails above the 7th-Gens! The 4th-Gen Accord EX stereo was damn good for the day, though the Civics of the day were terrible! (No bass, muddy midrange, tinny highs! Although, the Civic stereos with which I'm familiar are the "1000" and "2000"/standard 5th-Gen Civic EX fare; I don't know how much better the "3000"-series was--never auditioned one. Later Civic units, like my Mom's 8th-Gen EX, unfortunately, aren't much better, but are still improved.)

If I could plug-'n-play new door and front speakers, along with the sub, without yanking the ANC and all that other stuff, would that improve things? I would guess so--haven't checked Crutchfield's site on 9th-Gen Accords in a while.

(Of course I haven't had the audio upgrade done yet--still at 40% on the MM! :) )

·
It's a Coupe or nothing
213 Posts
As soon as I stepped on the gas during the test drive; I wanted it! Now I really have to try and hold it back. What has actually slowed me down is more power? Don't figure.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There was no looking back, it was the V6 all the way. I had two 4 cyls TSX's in a row. They were great cars and quick for 4's but I wanted more grunt and got it with the V6 Coupe. Paddles are cool but don't find a need to use them often. The 6speed auto does a good job on it's own. There are very few low points of torque with the engine and transmission. Think I'm done with 4cyls for a while. Watch those tires because they'll spin up on a turn when Vtec is kicked in. Not that it has happened. :lmao:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts