Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new owner of a 2014 EXL V6 with Navi. :thmsup: I'm currently enjoying the car but have one question. I paired my garage opener to the home link. Everything works; however, when I turned the car off, the home link still opens the garage. Is that a standard? If the car is parked outside, someone can open the garage after they break into the window.

Reason I'm asking is that the ML350 I have shuts doesn't allow the garage function to operate when the engine is turned off.

I'm curious whether I'm doing something wrong with the setup.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 2014 EXL V6 with Navi. :thmsup: I'm currently enjoying the car but have one question. I paired my garage opener to the home link. Everything works; however, when I turned the car off, the home link still opens the garage. Is that a standard? If the car is parked outside, someone can open the garage after they break into the window.

Reason I'm asking is that the ML350 I have shuts doesn't allow the garage function to operate when the engine is turned off.

Normal

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

The one question would be is if the HomeLink disables when the alarm/disabler goes off. But I guess if they just busted a window and didn't open the door, the alarm wouldn't trigger.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
There are risks in life on everything. For those who have the old fashioned garage door opener stuck to their visor, same risk. If you're that worried about someone breaking your window to open your garage, then I would suggest you forego the convenience of HomeLink and not program it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There are risks in life on everything. For those who have the old fashioned garage door opener stuck to their visor, same risk. If you're that worried about someone breaking your window to open your garage, then I would suggest you forego the convenience of HomeLink and not program it.
Good point! Better yet, just park in the dang garage! :thmsup:

·
Elvira
3,587 Posts

Try this. Shut off car, hit opener, what happens?
NOW shut off car, open car door, hit opener, now what happens.
The accessories have a dwell time post shutting off the engine that you can still operate electrical components like power windows etc. but the minute you open any door it cancels that dwell time immediately. Maybe home link is like that. Live till you open a door. I don't have mine programmed so I can't speak from experience.
Miker

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you can't/won't park in the garage, doesn't your hard wired opener inside the garage have an on/off switch that disables all remotes?

·
Elvira
3,587 Posts
Never mind just tried to program with no key in pocket or engine running and all lights blink on the Homelink so it appears true that there is always power.
Miker

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can't/won't park in the garage, doesn't your hard wired opener inside the garage have an on/off switch that disables all remotes?
I don't think I have that feature. For regular garage openers, I usually take it with me inside the house daily. Why take the chance of people seeing it on the visor. I was comparing it to my ML350. That shuts everything off when the engine turns off. I ended up cancelling the home link feature.

Wife gets the garage. :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Typically a "lock" feature on the hardwired buttons in the garage. In lock mode, the opener will not respond to RF remotes. Mine can still be opened with the keypad outside the garage, but no remotes, including homelink.

·
Registered
410 Posts
HomeLink is "always-on," with non-volatile memory (even if the battery is disconnected, the system retains the programmed remotes until you push and hold the two outer buttons until the light blinks).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nope sorry out of luck with the the homelink our RX300 does this too. Also note only the V6 trim has homelink so it's pretty rare for casual garage entering thieves to be targeting Accords.

But if you are parking outside it may be best just to leave it unprogrammed as you are not parking it in the garage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts