Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are finalizing the purchase of a 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L. We are excited as this is the first car we are buying on our own. The car is used and being sold by a Honda dealership (see purchase info below - will add to sticky once sale is finalized):
---
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L
White Orchid Pearl
34,519 miles
Sedan, Auto
$25,496

Warranty (listed by dealer, possibly remaining from when car was purchased new):
Basic: 36 Months/36,000 Mileage
Powertrain: 60 Months/60,000 Mileage
Corrosion: 60 Months/Corrosion: Unlimited
Paint: 36 Months/36,000 Mileage
---
We have some questions that we hope forum members can answer. I did search the forum and read several threads, but have not found clear answers. Any help would be great!

1. Being that the car is used and nearing the end of its Basic Warranty coverage, we are interested in purchasing an extended service/warranty. The dealership offered us a third-party option at ~$1500, but we discovered Honda Care (and its much better price!) after searching the forum. Does anyone know if Honda Care will cover/replace the Li-Ion battery in hybrid vehicles?

2. I read about the additional Hybrid 8yr/100,000mi warranty on this thread. I think this refers to the Federal Emissions Warranty for hybrid vehicles. Since the car we are getting is used, would it qualify for this warranty?

3. The car only has one key and a new smart key for the Hybrid is ~$300(!), whereas the smart key for non-Hybrid models is ~$50. Is there a difference between the smart keys for the Hybrid and non-Hybrid models?

Thanks in advance; we may have more questions. Looking forward to learning more and sharing our experience with the forum!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I bought an extended warranty on mine, but paid only $920 for it, so keep bargaining. I think mine is through Honda, but I would have to verify that. I think my package is 7 or 8 years/125k and Honda already covers it to 100k, but I don't think you'll have an issue with the battery before then. The warranty coverage covers the car, regardless of how many owners are involved in getting to 100k miles. As for the smart key, I don't know if there is any difference, except the memory. I'm not sure if other smart key models support seat memory, but I know the back of the Hybrid is blue where the one we had for our Odyssey was black. Maybe you're paying extra for the blue! One thing to check is to see how much Honda is going to charge you to program it. There might not be that much difference in total price when compared to buying it from them versus buying online and bringing it to them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Call me crazy, but that's maybe a $4000 savings over a new 2015 EX-L HAH. In exchange for $4k, you are giving up a warranty (all but maybe 2,000 miles) on the vehicle (excepting powertrain/battery). I'd buy a new one, especially since the extended warranty (guessing at $1000) plus the replacement key ($300) reduce your savings to about $2700.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Call me crazy, but that's maybe a $4000 savings over a new 2015 EX-L HAH. In exchange for $4k, you are giving up a warranty (all but maybe 2,000 miles) on the vehicle (excepting powertrain/battery). I'd buy a new one, especially since the extended warranty (guessing at $1000) plus the replacement key ($300) reduce your savings to about $2700.
^^ this. Also, Honda's offering some great financing incentives on the new 15s. Over the life of the loan, that might make up the other $2700.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your replies. We finalized the sale last Friday - have been having a bit of buyer's remorse, especially since plans for the 2017 HAH were announced and looking at 2015 options, lol. Anyway, we'll get over it, and we love the car so far.

We ended up purchasing an extended warranty offered through our bank, bundled with our loan, for $1077 7yr/110K. This was a better deal than quotes I received for Honda Care and it basically has the same coverage. I think if I were to get a brand new car in the future, I'd choose Honda Care. I did confirm that the Hybrid Warranty/Federal Emissions Warranty covers the car 8 years/100,000K miles even though we purchased it used.

I communicated with Gene Powell from fixmykeч (Honda tech and helpful guy!) about the Hybrid/non-Hybrid key fob situation. He inspected the serial numbers on the smart systems and found that they were different. Based on this, he does not think the fobs are interchangeable. :( Debating if we need a second key...

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats! I'm sure your "buyers remorse" will fade quickly as you drive your new toy around some more. At the end of the day you got a nice car, saved a few grand and have it now rather than having to wait on the refreshed model. Not to mention you avoided having to haggle on a probably sought after refreshed design where you likely would have lost some bargaining power.

If the remorse doesn't fade for some reason, you can always try trading it in next year. I'm sure the out of pocket cost won't be that much greater than the cost difference now. Hybrids tend to hold their value well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts