Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are countless threads but its time to change my rotors and pads.
Im a budget and want to get halfway decent ones that will last some time and of course have good perfoance. Advanced auto parts has nice coupons like 50 dollars off purchases over 100. Can you guys locate me a nice pair of rotors and pads for my 2004 accords ex. Need rotors for front and back and pads for both front and back.

Thank you

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I've done three full brake jobs (and I am NOT a mechanic) on Accords this year. All three got Brakemotive's package deal for about $150 delivered. They are HQ'd in Chicago but mostly sell on eBay.

Rotors are cross-drilled and slotted, pads are ceramic- (I wanted a little bling as my wheels are Acura RSX wheels and really show the rotors and calipers). The "oldest" has 12,000 miles on them and they still perform beautifully- provided you bleed the brakes with Honda fluid too.

But Advance, Pep Boys (hate their website), NAPA, Autozone and O'Reilly's all have rotors and pads with lifetime warranty- and cheaper too. You will have many suggestions in the morning....

One thing I like is that the rotors I ordered are zinc-plated which means no more rust on the "air vane" of the rotor. Ceramic pads means less dust compared to semi-metallic.

I am actually pulling mine tomorrow (checking on effects of Permatex purple ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant on the top slider's little rubber bush) and will take photos....make sure you use proper lube on the slider pins- not "grease".

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done three full brake jobs (and I am NOT a mechanic) on Accords this year. All three got Brakemotive's package deal for about $150 delivered. They are HQ'd in Chicago but mostly sell on eBay.

Rotors are cross-drilled and slotted, pads are ceramic- (I wanted a little bling as my wheels are Acura RSX wheels and really show the rotors and calipers). The "oldest" has 12,000 miles on them and they still perform beautifully- provided you bleed the brakes with Honda fluid too.

But Advance, Pep Boys (hate their website), NAPA, Autozone and O'Reilly's all have rotors and pads with lifetime warranty- and cheaper too. You will have many suggestions in the morning....

One thing I like is that the rotors I ordered are zinc-plated which means no more rust on the "air vane" of the rotor. Ceramic pads means less dust compared to semi-metallic.

I am actually pulling mine tomorrow (checking on effects of Permatex purple ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant on the top slider's little rubber bush) and will take photos....make sure you use proper lube on the slider pins- not "grease".
Can you link me to an ebay link? SO its 150 for front and bake rotors with front and back brake pads.

Im looking to get all 4 for 200 dollars.

Thank you

Edit these are them ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-KIT-P...AKE-ROTORS-CERAMIC-PADS-M310507-/390555600003

How are the quality to these sets. The ceramic pads any good ?

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Here is the link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Brakemotive?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-...-ROTORS-AND-8-CERAMIC-PADS/290691668244?rt=nc

$136.31 DELIVERED for all four zinc-plated rotors and 8 ceramic pads....

Sidenote: My neighbors have Accords, so they see me tinkering with mine and wonder why as Accords are well-built and well-engineered. When their brakes went, the dealer tried to upsell them on the $1,000 brake job....I just pulled the wheels off and made sure the calipers were OK and told them to order the parts (including 2 bottles of Honda fluid and brake lubricant) and we'd spend a couple hours doing it.

I have great neighbors- I am fortunate. They are from all over the world and bring me some incredible food dishes from time to time. I also have a monster snow thrower.

The neat thing is- everyone in the world knows about Honda reliability....so they buy Civics and Accords, and the occasional CRV.

OK, it was about $136 for all four delivered....they run sales on the weekends with 8% off (from the normal $150)....still, you could probably get them cheaper at one of the places I mentioned above- WITH LIFETIME warranty. Me? I wanted a little bling and was sick of rusty air vanes- so I got these. I doubt they will last 80,000 miles like some members claim their Advance Auto rotors will, but I live in Chicago and want to take the brakes apart and clean every spring anyway- we use a lot of road salt here....

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know there are countless threads but its time to change my rotors and pads.
Im a budget and want to get halfway decent ones that will last some time and of course have good perfoance. Advanced auto parts has nice coupons like 50 dollars off purchases over 100. Can you guys locate me a nice pair of rotors and pads for my 2004 accords ex. Need rotors for front and back and pads for both front and back.

Thank you
All Honda Accord EX has ceramic pads so you want to replace them with ceramics. Ceramic pads are much better wear, less fading and less dust. I replaced my rusted OEM rotors with Wagner BD125669 premium brake rotors and Wagner Thermoquiet pads QC959 for about $100 shipped (QC914 if you have an I4). The rear Wagner rotors BD126082 and Wagner Thermoquiet QC537 for another $75 shipped. I really like the Wagner pads, they are quiet and has integrated shims, so they don't make noise. IMHO, I think it works much better than the OEM. My car now has very good stopping power with the new brakes and no noise at all. My OEM rear pads only lasted 25K for each set and I went thru two of them before I decided to switch to the Wagner. The Raybestos 96711R and 980138R front and rear rotors are good alternative for about $105 shipped. The Raybestos front and rear pads ATD914C and ATD537 are good for another $70. These are my other pick but I went with the Wagner because they had some rebates for the Thermoquiet at the time I bought them.

·
Registered
123 Posts

I heard that drilled or slotted rotors are really hard on the pads, what is your experience? The OEM pads are ceramic so you don't want anything less. The price is certainly enticing for such quality products, if they last.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I heard that drilled or slotted rotors are really hard on the pads, what is your experience? The OEM pads are ceramic so you don't want anything less. The price is certainly enticing for such quality products, if they last.
Accordman- I noticed in another of your posts that you used to live in Chi-town. No stranger to the brutal winters then?

First, you are spot on about ceramic pads. Our Accords were designed to be used with ceramic pads which actually run a little cooler than semi-metallic pads. THAT means that our Honda brake fluid is designed to be used with ceramic pads too. So we should stick with ceramic as you mentioned.

As for drilled and slotted- my prior experience was with my Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo. I would track and "auto-cross" the car twice a year and hit speeds of up to 161 mph (and I was in 5th gear, not 6th!) on USAF runways. Back then, drilled and slotted were still relatively new. They were not drilled well, nor slotted properly. There has been a lot of research into these types of rotors in the last decade. Back then, the semi-metallic pads we used would wear out about 20% faster with drilled and slotted rotors than with solid rotors. But we noticed the guys who started running ceramic pads back in 2002 actually had longer life with drilled and slotted rotors using ceramic pads.

Nowadays, in my research, I have not seen a definitive study that says that modern drilled and slotted rotors eat up ceramic pads more quickly than solid rotors. Indeed, many of my friends would say drilled and slotted makes the pads last longer- provided they are ceramic pads. But for semi-metallic pads- yes, they will be eaten up faster with drilled and slotted than with solid rotors.

I don't race my Accord, and it is just one guy's opinion, but the set up works fine for me.:)

[/URL][/IMG]

And no more rust on the "hub" part of the rotor! That silver you see is the zinc-plated rotor's hub, not the Acura wheel.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Accordman- I noticed in another of your posts that you used to live in Chi-town. No stranger to the brutal winters then?

First, you are spot on about ceramic pads. Our Accords were designed to be used with ceramic pads which actually run a little cooler than semi-metallic pads. THAT means that our Honda brake fluid is designed to be used with ceramic pads too. So we should stick with ceramic as you mentioned.

As for drilled and slotted- my prior experience was with my Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo. I would track and "auto-cross" the car twice a year and hit speeds of up to 161 mph (and I was in 5th gear, not 6th!) on USAF runways. Back then, drilled and slotted were still relatively new. They were not drilled well, nor slotted properly. There has been a lot of research into these types of rotors in the last decade. Back then, the semi-metallic pads we used would wear out about 20% faster with drilled and slotted rotors than with solid rotors. But we noticed the guys who started running ceramic pads back in 2002 actually had longer life with drilled and slotted rotors using ceramic pads.

Nowadays, in my research, I have not seen a definitive study that says that modern drilled and slotted rotors eat up ceramic pads more quickly than solid rotors. Indeed, many of my friends would say drilled and slotted makes the pads last longer- provided they are ceramic pads. But for semi-metallic pads- yes, they will be eaten up faster with drilled and slotted than with solid rotors.

I don't race my Accord, and it is just one guy's opinion, but the set up works fine for me.:)
Yeah, used to live there for 8 years, loved the place, great people and remembered those winter blizzards. I had a hard time driving in the winter with my Nissan 200SX coupe (rear drive, no ABS, no TCS) particular in heavy snow one year when my tire treads were a bit low. Had to keep a couple sand bags in the trunk to get traction and a snow shovel to dig myself out of the parking lot. It was the best car I had at the time and it was great fun in the summer. My favorite sport car is the 1996 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (pictured here but not my car). It still looks good after all these years, even better than the new 370Z.

Good to hear that the ceramics work well with the drilled rotors. Too late for me this time, but I'll keep that in mind the next time I have to change out mine. My Accord V6 is no speed demon but it is reasonable fast, kept me from being run over by some smucks in their bimmers. I like the 07-08 TLS a bit more for better suspension and control at high speed.

Attachments

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Ha! My other car is a 1991 Nissan 240sx with 101,000 miles. Same as yours was- no ABS, no TCS, and of course rear wheel drive!

I drive it each winter only once- on the first snowfall but BEFORE the salt trucks come out to wreak havoc. I go to the large mall by my house and do donuts for a couple of hours (yes, I am fine with that) in the parking lot, then drive it home and put it away till Spring.

I bought a set of Brakemotive's cross-drilled and slotted rotors (and ceramic pads) for the Nissan and did those brakes last month:
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ha! My other car is a 1991 Nissan 240sx with 101,000 miles. Same as yours was- no ABS, no TCS, and of course rear wheel drive!

I drive it each winter only once- on the first snowfall but BEFORE the salt trucks come out to wreak havoc. I go to the large mall by my house and do donuts for a couple of hours (yes, I am fine with that) in the parking lot, then drive it home and put it away till Spring.

I bought a set of Brakemotive's cross-drilled and slotted rotors (and ceramic pads) for the Nissan and did those brakes last month:
You actually have a gem car. The 1990-1998 Nissan 240SX is probably the most popular Nissan cars for mods because they are the only sporty cars from Nissan after Nissan discontinued the 300ZX. My Nissan 200SX has some mods but yours are heavily mods by many owners. My 200SX was very nice looking blue with 15" alloy wheels/60 profile tires, 5MT, electronic dash and pop up headlights unlike the pedestrian 200SX later (aka Sentra). There was a Turbo version of my car as well which I did not have but I think it was good for 130HP vs. 102HP natural aspirated engine.

I included a few pictures of the Nissan 240SX mods from the web, the popular S13 package in the last picture.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts