Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed some shimmy when braking, checked pads and they appear to be getting worn. Worse, the rotors in front are clearly worn about as low they can get.

But I just replaced pads and rotors less than a year ago, and I don't do a lot of stop & go driving, etc. Mostly highway. Previous mechanic used OEM rotors but I'd provided a highly recommended aftermarket pad.

Took car to another mechanic this time. He says to always use OEM pads/rotors on Hondas. Says the "better" pads are too hard and wear down the OEM rotors faster than OEM pads would.

Makes sense (if true), but I didn't see any discussions online that really support this. Opinions?

·
'15 6-6
522 Posts
Noticed some shimmy when braking, checked pads and they appear to be getting worn. Worse, the rotors in front are clearly worn about as low they can get.

But I just replaced pads and rotors less than a year ago, and I don't do a lot of stop & go driving, etc. Mostly highway. Previous mechanic used OEM rotors but I'd provided a highly recommended aftermarket pad.

Took car to another mechanic this time. He says to always use OEM pads/rotors on Hondas. Says the "better" pads are too hard and wear down the OEM rotors faster than OEM pads would.

Makes sense (if true), but I didn't see any discussions online that really support this. Opinions?
What exact pad did you use?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,667 Posts
IMO OEM rotors are not worth the price. I used Raybestos (NAPA). I don't have any problems with the OEM pads, and the ceramic doesn't wear the rotors too much. My original rotors lasted over 100k miles. I changed the pads two times in 120k miles. You can still be hard on your brakes doing highway driving. If you brake hard on the exit, and sit at a red light, with the hot pads clamped on the rotors, that will cause uneven pad deposits on the rotors. Sometimes you can correct the problem doing a break-in procedure ( Three or four hard braking runs from 60-20, 60-20, 60-20mph). You need a clear road, with no other cars around to do this.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Just here for the food
1,665 Posts
Blah. Just stick with ceramic pads. Akebonos if you just want a replacement set. I hear that Honda OEM pads are just rebranded Akebonos anyway (or vice versa, someone correct me lol)

I'm not sure about the rotors though. I'm looking to change my fronts soon as a result of annoying shimmy during braking every now and then, and a strange squeaking/whirring noise almost all the time. Still deciding which ones I want to go with. I haven't tried the break-in procedure because I feel like my rotors would be completely done after that lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts