Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
06 Sedan 2.4L 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a new shift knob. It's the shift knob out of the Civic Si, metal on the top and bottom and wrapped in leather, with a red shift pattern on top. It's also weighted, and I think it's a pretty sweet shifter, even though it isn't as comfortable as the OEM one. Anyway, my question is this: how do I make the boot fit snug up into the bottom of the knob? I'm not buying a new boot (too much $ to spend and a pain in the a**), and I know there's gotta be a way to get it in there. The little plastic bracket things that come with the boot don't fit in there.

Also, there's something weird that I can't figure out. It came with a "locking nut" or something like that; it's a nut that's supposed to screw on to the shaft, and the knob is supposed to screw on above it. But, the nut won't screw on past just a couple of threads. It just stops screwing on after a few turns. I can't figure out what the use for the thing is.

Anyway, I sure would appreciate it if someone could give me tips on how to get the boot attached to the bottom of my shift knob. I'm not very creative when it comes to stuff like this, and I'm afraid to take chances, lest I screw something up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
post some pics, might help us give an idea.

What year Si is it from? You said it has a shift pattern; is it a 6spd knob? If so, don't give your car to a valet!

·
06 Sedan 2.4L 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Ha, no, it's a 5 speed pattern on top of the knob, which makes me think it was probably a replica knob. I ordered it from eBay, and there was no official designation on it, so it's probably third party, but it looks and feels like the real thing. Anyway, what I'm having the most trouble with is the fact that there is this nut that may or may not be reverse threaded that is supposed to be the "locking nut" that holds the new shifter in place. I can't get this nut to screw onto my threading, so I'm wondering if it's the wrong size or if I'm just doing it wrong. If I could figure out how to get that nut on there, I could probably figure out a way to install the boot. I had the shifter installed for a few days without the nut, and although it felt nice to push through the gates, it was kinda weird looking without the nut and with the boot hanging down 3 inches below it.

Here's what it looks like by the way. Camera is currently out of commission so I have to find internet pics.

These pictures show the knob I have, except mine has a 5-speed pattern on it, so it might be third party, but it is identical to the real OEM knob.

Help me out here guys! Do I need to figure out how to get that nut on there? Should I just come up with a creative solution? The thing is, there's that plastic piece inside the top of the shifter boot in the Accord, and that thing doesn't plug into this new shifter. I'm wondering if I should do away with that and custom fit my boot once I get the nut on there, or some other approach? I need someone with a bit more know-how than I've got! Like I said, I don't want to buy a new boot, so I need to figure out a way to make this one fit. Also, I'd like to figure out how to make this nut fit on there too. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Actually, when I read about it, the whole point of the locking nut is to make your shift knob line up correctly with the pattern on top facing the right way so that it describes the shift pattern accurately. I don't think I need it because the shift knob, when I screw it on without the nut, lines up perfectly. So, I need to figure out a way to fit that boot. Just imagine that shift knob pictured above sitting screwed onto my actual shifter shaft, but with the boot sagging 3 or 4 inches below it, with that plastic piece sticking out awkwardly. I need to figure out how to get the boot to fit snug under the knob. Should I do away with the plastic piece and maybe try to ziptie it or something? Let's get creative here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A shift knob like that isn't designed to have the boot hook up to the bottom of it, rather the boot would "float" a bit below it and a bit of the shaft would be sticking through.

That nut is likely reverse threaded. While not an Accord, I put a new shift knob on my Jeep Cherokee. The kit came with a few threaded inserts for the knob, and a few reverse thread nuts. Spin the nut all the way down the shaft, then install the knob. Once you have the knob snug and lined up how you want it, you back the reverse threaded nut up to it to lock it into place and keep it from turning around on you.

Here's a good reference of how the shift boots typically look with this kind of knob:

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
Maybe that locking nut goes on underneath the shift boot and squeezes it to the knob?

Not sure on the thread issue. Was it explicitly for your car or a 'universal' deal?

·
06 Sedan 2.4L 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so I wrote a big post and it disappeared overnight. That ****s. Well anyways, got a couple of questions. First of all, if I do decide to the "floating boot" thing, how would I do that? It looks like you need a special plastic piece to fit inside the boot at the top. Also, does it make a little plasticky noise everytime you shift with one of those boots? Mine right now, with the factory plastic piece floating beneath the knob, makes a noise every time I shift gears, and since you shift a lot when you drive a manual, that gets annoying fast. :thumbsdow So yeah, if I went that route, what would I need to do, and would it still make that annoying plastic noise?

Secondly, if anyone can help me think of a way to get the boot to fit snugly into that bottom ring on the knob, please share it with me. I've come up with several ways that I could jerry-rig it, but I don't know how well they would work. I just need to find a solution that works and looks good. And possibly most important: does not make that "plastic flopping around" noise that it makes right now.

I turn to you guys for help, because I figure you know a lot more than I do about Accords, seeing as how I bought mine less than a year ago. And I know this isn't an Accord-specific question, but still, a lot of you guys are really savvy with cars, so I figure someone could help me out. Please? :notworthy

·
1,771 Posts
Why do you want to stick with that oem one, it get hot and than cold depending on the weather. I had it and aftermarket ones are better and will fit easier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've never taken the shifter in my Accord apart so I'm not familiar with this plastic piece you're looking at.

Again, pictures of what you're working with would be really helpful.

·
06 Sedan 2.4L 5MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, so I actually decided to go with the Razo knob. The RA96 to be specific. Looks like a fantastic shift knob, and although it was a bit expensive, I've read so many good things about it, I felt that it was worth it. Plus, it's a really classy looking knob. Now that I kinda stop and think about it, the Si knob was just a bit too boy-racer for me really. I like my car to be a bit more refined now that I've gotten a bit older. That Razo knob has great metal accents on a really nice looking leather shifter, so I'm thinking I'll like it a lot. Plus, at 340 grams, I believe it's even heavier than the Si one. 340 grams is about 3/4 of a pound, so that's a pretty heavy knob!

Should feel great going through the gates, even though I feel like the gates on the Accord 5MT can be a bit finicky, especially the 2nd gear gate. Sometimes the car does not want that shifter going into second gear; gives me a lot of vibration type feedback every once in a while. I'm a BMW fan, and my ideal car is the 3 series, so I've been spoiled by their gearboxes. Their clutches are actually not the greatest (I prefer the one in my Accord to the one in my friend's '97 328i), but maybe that's partly due to the age of her car compared to mine. All I know is, the gearbox in her car is so great; you can shift really fast or really slow, either way, the lever moves through the gates like silk. That's my only complaint about the Accord's MT. Otherwise it's fantastic, especially when downshifting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts